Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

23 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

+1. Although I think we have our answer for blur we just don't want to accept it and lose hope. If @Ken19 was right about the first timer though and the January announcement, I can't think of any other name than The Strokes co-headlining with RHCP.

Yeah, this is my feeling too, although I like to think he wouldn’t be sat watching us squirm trying to do the mental gymnastics of working out how they fit into the line up if there wasn’t at least a chance…

7 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Yeah, this is my feeling too, although I like to think he wouldn’t be sat watching us squirm trying to do the mental gymnastics of working out how they fit into the line up if there wasn’t at least a chance…

Who do you think this act could be?

EDIT: We can notice that only StromaeMuse and Arctic Monkeys have been announced as headliners... no the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Edited by Archi

6 minutes ago, Archi said:

Who do you think this act could be?

EDIT: We can notice that only StromaeMuse and Arctic Monkeys have been announced as headliners... no the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sorry @Archi, I was referring to if Blur would be there or not. With regards to the Friday, I have absolutely no idea but it’s certainly interesting 

13 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Depeche Mode has a show in Belgium so I don't think we can say "missed out" but yeah, I completely forgot about Kendrick Lamar. He should've been there

Kendrick's closest (announced) date to RW is still 3 weeks away, so not sure we can say "missed out" either.

That being said: there are still 2 open co-head slots. So if Kendrick is staying in Europe until early July, he's all but ruled out.

1 hour ago, DDave said:

No reason why they wouldn't have been announced yet. Maybe Pukkelpop has them this year. 

I'm not 100% sure of the following statement, but I think Damon never performed in PKP (gorillaz, blur, tgtbtq, solo). He always chooses RW.

Edited by Ohad

Just having a look out of interest; in 2018 Gorillaz played Werchter on the Thursday, Opener on the Friday and then Roskilde on the Saturday. Wasn’t too long ago so the back to back dates might not be a problem. It’s only an hour and a half flight from Brussels to Denmark and then less than an hours drive from there. I’m basically just in denial until we have something concrete completely ruling Blur out hahah. A confirmation this side of Christmas would be absolutely magical 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Ohad said:

I'm not 100% sure of the following statement, but I think Damon never performed in PKP (gorillaz, blur, tgtbtq, solo). He always chooses RW.

Played Pukkelpop in 1997. I don't see them playing there as well tbh and think they'd get a LCD or Stone Roses sized crowd there (i.e. very small) but just find it odd that they've not been announced yet. Maybe they're waiting till the 2nd Wembley date sells out, I dunno. 

35 minutes ago, DDave said:

Played Pukkelpop in 1997. I don't see them playing there as well tbh and think they'd get a LCD or Stone Roses sized crowd there (i.e. very small) but just find it odd that they've not been announced yet. Maybe they're waiting till the 2nd Wembley date sells out, I dunno. 

Yeah, it is weird. Anyway, 25 years is a long time, and he's been hella active. I don't think it's coincidence 

Edited by Ohad
  • Upvote 1

No surprise. The forum is alive and well with glee over RHCP.

Also in the same boat that I really like them but it sure as fuck feels like a cop out. I don't understand the post that Ken made in regards to the" first time" thing now. Am I missing something.

Edited by VolkIreland

Just now, VolkIreland said:

No surprise. The forum is alive and well with glee over RHCP.

Also in the same boat that I really like them but it sure as fuck feels like a cop out. I don't understand that Ken made in regards to the" first time" thing now.

Yeah this is pitiful. Wonder what's been going on in their offices when they need to make such an announcement now (early for a panic buy). 

At the same time I don't think they were mentioned as headliners, but still.. Unless @Ken19's headliner is massive and unique (which I don't think since RHCP is co-headlining), this must be the weakest line-up start in my 11 years here. 

• Upvote 1

Was there this reaction when they booked Kings of Leon as headliners in both 2013 and 2014?

I mean, I've not seen RHCP before and am open to going if only to say I've ticked them off (plus I like a few of their songs) but it's bizarre to decide another dose is needed, and kinda also odd for Chili Peppers to say yes given they've literally only just done it.

I do have the feeling RHCP were booked as a 2 appearance deal, probably not buy one get one free though. If they did get a cheaper deal for doing this then this has massively backfired. This 'never before' headliner is going to be the breaker for many regulars. 

Rumours in the UK that Sam Ryder, UK Eurovision singer, is going to front Queen on their next tour while Adam Lambert promotes his own album. Can't find the piece back but will post when I do. Maybe a chance if it's true!

2 minutes ago, Scarnic said:

I do have the feeling RHCP were booked as a 2 appearance deal, probably not buy one get one free though. If they did get a cheaper deal for doing this then this has massively backfired. This 'never before' headliner is going to be the breaker for many regulars. 

Rumours in the UK that Sam Ryder, UK Eurovision singer, is going to front Queen on their next tour while Adam Lambert promotes his own album. Can't find the piece back but will post when I do. Maybe a chance if it's true!

That would definitely be something. Roger Taylor did post something about 10am tomorrow 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Was there this reaction when they booked Kings of Leon as headliners in both 2013 and 2014?

I mean, I've not seen RHCP before and am open to going if only to say I've ticked them off (plus I like a few of their songs) but it's bizarre to decide another dose is needed, and kinda also odd for Chili Peppers to say yes given they've literally only just done it.

Yes, I remember similar reactions when KOL headlined 2 years in a row, so I am surprised Werchter goes with that again! I am not against RHCP at all but I have to admit I am looking at other fests now (unless Blur or the Smile shows up)

11 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Yes, I remember similar reactions when KOL headlined 2 years in a row, so I am surprised Werchter goes with that again! I am not against RHCP at all but I have to admit I am looking at other fests now (unless Blur or the Smile shows up)

I did think that this might be the final announcement of the year and they wanted a big name to try and boost ticket sales for Christmas, but looking at the reactions on social media they might have to put a batch of names out very soon as this seems to be a very common reaction 

9 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

I did think that this might be the final announcement of the year and they wanted a big name to try and boost ticket sales for Christmas, but looking at the reactions on social media they might have to put a batch of names out very soon as this seems to be a very common reaction 

Yes! Especially if other festivals announces more names in the coming weeks.

13 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Tamino confirmed off the record that he's being announced for RW this week, and he's not big enough to warrant a separate announcement. So I think it anyway was the plan to drop the Peppers today and close the week/year with a batch of names.

23 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Tamino confirmed off the record that he's being announced for RW this week, and he's not big enough to warrant a separate announcement. So I think it anyway was the plan to drop the Peppers today and close the week/year with a batch of names.

Ah that would make sense, sure that The Lumineers have been unofficially confirmed for weeks now