The 1975

NorthernSoul52

55 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Easy to say if you aren't one of the eggs that gets cracked as a result if any pushback on it.

As reflekting alludes, I'd be interested to see the reaction of the local community in Malaysia. Certainly in Qatar there was a strongly negative reaction to similar protests during the World Cup.

Fair comment and a good point. 

But unfortunately history is littered with examples that prove people will always get hurt on the way to real change and a better future. It absolutely "shouldn't" be that way, but it most definitely is. 😞 

19 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Fair comment and a good point. 

But unfortunately history is littered with examples that prove people will always get hurt on the way to real change and a better future. It absolutely "shouldn't" be that way, but it most definitely is. 😞 

I think most of those examples would largely be from protest and action thats self organised or at least with the knowledge / consent of the people who may be hurt via the repercussions.

Superficially, this  just look like some paternalistic white savior trope bullshit.

2 hours ago, crumbler said:

Personally I wouldn't have agreed to play a country with such discriminatory laws in the first place but I guess this way he still gets a payday and the opportunity to look like a hero.

It’s not much of a defence as he should have looked into it, but during his speech he said he didn’t research how poor LGBT rights are over there - and that he wouldn’t have taken it if he’d known. 

I don’t know how I feel about it. On one hand what he has done is correct because it’s wrong some people don’t have voices and are illegal however I’m not in the position of a LGBTQ person in Malaysia and how this will effect them, neither is Matty and he will probably just be banned from a country that he has already left. Is it a case that now concerts could be banned in Malaysia and possible worse actions on those in the community because of this act? Not sure what the right thing to do is for positive change. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crumbler said:

Personally I wouldn't have agreed to play a country with such discriminatory laws in the first place but I guess this way he still gets a payday and the opportunity to look like a hero.

This is it. It's great taking a stance against homophobia, but above all, Healy is in the news headlines and we're all talking about him. That's why he's done it.

If he actually gave a f**k about human rights he would have, yknow, not been racist towards Ice Spice

20 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

This is it. It's great taking a stance against homophobia, but above all, Healy is in the news headlines and we're all talking about him. That's why he's done it.

If he actually gave a f**k about human rights he would have, yknow, not been racist towards Ice Spice

Yeah if he wanted to actually make a point he would have publicly turned down the offer to play and explained the reasoning

Instead the egotistical prat just saw another opportunity to get himself talked about 

• Upvote 2

Think people are slightly misjudging the impact that 'not playing' would've made. 

When Lorde, Radiohead and Big Thief (but then not) played Israel a few years ago, they got absolutely sh*t on for supporting an incredibly broken country. In that scenario, absolutely nothing changes to highlight the issues caused by the regime in charge, it just leads to genuine fans missing out on seeing an artist who wants to play to them. 

f**king Benjamin Netanyahu isn't going to go 'damn, maybe Lorde boycotting here means I shouldn't claim Palestine', it just leads to already oppressed/dysfunctionally led people further missing out on any form of expression.

If The 1975 don't play Malaysia, the amount of public backing that LGBT support gets in the country is next to nothing. The amount of interest this has generated (causing, to some extent, 'pressure') on the Malaysian government is off the scale. Matty might be a mouthy little twat, but good on him for exposing the backwards country for what it is 

Edited by JayDiesel
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

This situation really does prove what somebody said earlier in this thread, people will find any excuse possible to criticise Matty/The 1975. 

I was thinking the opposite.

It proves that often the same folks will leap to their defence whatever the accusation is.

We need to see more reaction from people in the region (which of course we see little of)...

"Members of Malaysia’s LGBTQ community have also criticized Healy’s actions, with some calling it “performative” and warning that it could lead to further discrimination."

1975 / Matty Healy stans are just the worst people.

20 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

I listened to the podcast, it seemed childish banter rather than racism. Bar is set pretty low these days.

Like this is the most depressing thing I have read on efests in years. Proper grim racism dismissed as 'childish banter'