Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

24 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’d be surprised if Muse didn’t come back at some point - friends of the festival and an easy booking for Emily with a spectacle of a show. Might be a few more years yet though…

You would think for Muse to headline again they would need to have a big new album, and I don't think people care enough about them now for that to happen.

3 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

You would think for Muse to headline again they would need to have a big new album, and I don't think people care enough about them now for that to happen.

We thought The Who were one and done? Also, maybe this Foos early evening gig has opens the floodgates for former headliners/stadium-sized acts to play lower down the bill?

9 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

We thought The Who were one and done? Also, maybe this Foos early evening gig has opens the floodgates for former headliners/stadium-sized acts to play lower down the bill?

I'm sure The Who's return was a last minute thing if memory serves me correctly? But yeah, I think if some of these bigger bands were ever happy to take the step down the line up, or over to the Other stage then why not. Muse felt a bit of a naff novelty in 2016 when they played, and don't think any of their recent output has changed that. I guess there's not too many bands that can fill stadiums these days, so probably can't discount too many bands really. 

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

OoS 10 year anniversary at Reading was awesome, so maybe something similar for Black Holes.

But yeah, if they turn up with their current tour set list, people will be unimpressed 

13 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Metallica were definitely a one and done, and Muse’ time has probably passed, but I’d be surprised if Foos never headline again, especially after yesterday. They’ll be back in a few years for sure. 

I thought the idea of Foos at Glastonbury next year was seen by many as distinctly possible given the rumour of a Manchester show in the week leading up to it.

Well unless seeing Dave Grohl's 39 cameos this weekend has filled the quota.

2 hours ago, WillyVWade said:

OoS 10 year anniversary at Reading was awesome, so maybe something similar for Black Holes.

But yeah, if they turn up with their current tour set list, people will be unimpressed 

I was hoping for 20 years since Absolution debuted concert this year. Still time given the anniversary of that is in three months, but I suspect I'll be disappointed.

Alex Turner genuinely might be one of the worst front men in rock history, everything about that set was phoned in.

I enjoyed it because I hadn't seen them in 10 years but it wasn't anything to write home about. 

Genuinely a bizzare that a band of their stature still don't understand how to put a setlist together. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WillyVWade said:

That was a bloody brilliant headline set! 

7 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

Alex Turner genuinely might be one of the worst front men in rock history, everything about that set was phoned in.

I enjoyed it because I hadn't seen them in 10 years but it wasn't anything to write home about. 

Genuinely a bizzare that a band of their stature still don't understand how to put a setlist together. 

What should the setlist have been...?

22 minutes ago, snoelb said:

What should the setlist have been...?

1. View from the afternoon

2. Dancefloor

3. Fake tales

4. Dancing shoes 

5. Still take you home

6. Mardy bum

7. Sun goes down

8. Ritz to rubble

9. Certain romance

10. View from the afternoon

11. Dancefloor

12. Fake tales

13. Dancing shoes 

14. Still take you home

15. Mardy bum

16. Sun goes down

17. Ritz to rubble

18. Certain romance

Encore

19. Mardy Bum

20. Mardy Bum

21. Dancefloor

Edited by majormajormajor
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

1. View from the afternoon

2. Dancefloor

3. Fake tales

4. Dancing shoes 

5. Still take you home

6. Mardy bum

7. Sun goes down

8. Ritz to rubble

9. Certain romance

10. View from the afternoon

11. Dancefloor

12. Fake tales

13. Dancing shoes 

14. Still take you home

15. Mardy bum

16. Sun goes down

17. Ritz to rubble

18. Certain romance

Encore

19. Mardy Bum

20. Mardy Bum

21. Dancefloor

Let them play some new ones, where's Teddy Picker?

6 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Best of all time territory from Elton tonight. Sensational. I actually had tears in my eyes when he dedicated the song to George.

He didn't waste a minute up there.

Hopefully Alex Turner "gets it" now.....150k people aren't there to watch you smell your own farts.

Why did you post this in two separate threads? Just enjoy Elton's show for what it was (an all timer) without needing to bring Alex Turner into it. Arctic Monkeys are not for you, move on and focus on music and front men you enjoy. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 8:31 PM, FloorFiller said:

I do kind of get the impression that their U-turn in sound was a result of him disliking the swathes of dickheads who go to their shows and call themselves fans, especially after the release of AM. Hasn’t really worked as those same people still go and just get annoyed when they play new stuff… but what better way to shake those kinds of people than to release music that’s the total opposite of lads lads lads bangers. 

The setlist indicates confusion though, if they are committed to changing the sound and moving forward, why did only 1 song from Tranquility Base get played?

Otherwise I like the Elvis/Nick Cave/Vic Reeves tribute act as I don't think he is a talkative type. "four out of five" was terrific and he just said "Outstanding! " after it, nothing else 🙂

I can see how it must be annoying to some people. But I watched Texas on the iplayer earlier and Sharleen Spiteri was rambling and effing and jeffing after almost every song. Too much. Ultimately we want songs, not stand-up... 

I agree they * do * seem to butcher some songs though. It's almost impossible to sing along to this interpretation of Cornerstone, for example. Are the band struggling with the tempo, or is he deliberately singing off beat. As someone said earlier, a bit odd.

Edited by Johndenis

6 hours ago, Johndenis said:

The setlist indicates confusion though, if they are committed to changing the sound and moving forward, why did only 1 song from Tranquility Base get played?

Otherwise I like the Elvis/Nick Cave/Vic Reeves tribute act as I don't think he is a talkative type. "four out of five" was terrific and he just said "Outstanding! " after it, nothing else 🙂

I can see how it must be annoying to some people. But I watched Texas on the iplayer earlier and Sharleen Spiteri was rambling and effing and jeffing after almost every song. Too much. Ultimately we want songs, not stand-up... 

I agree they * do * seem to butcher some songs though. It's almost impossible to sing along to this interpretation of Cornerstone, for example. Are the band struggling with the tempo, or is he deliberately singing off beat. As someone said earlier, a bit odd.

I loved ‘The Monkeys are back on the farm… Wow’. Might add that kind of commentary to my everyday tasks.

• Like 1

Two sides to every coin I guess.

Personally, I thought it was poor. Maybe the Glastonbury snobbery is rife in me, but they didn't do anything to make it special. Even Guns N Roses brought out Grohl. It's their 3rd time headlining, and I just thought they'd wow everyone. It felt a bit flat.

I looked at Elton John and that's how it should be done. He rose to the occasion and made it one of the best sets of all time. Maybe because they're not half way through their journey yet, they're still trying to do their stuff, and not cater to the masses (and why not?), but you've got a huge platform, give it everything.

It just felt like a massive missed opportunity. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2023 at 6:11 PM, FloorFiller said:

Yup, that’s gonna be why we suddenly start seeing less and less of them at the top of the lineup - not because AM turned in a mediocre performance. After The 1975 have done it in the next couple of years, who else is there left to step up?

Are we considering Radiohead a guitar band. Whenever they have a new album, not a for long time, they will surely headline again.

Also curious where The Smile would fit into the lineup once they finally play

Thought they where brilliant tbf. Sculptures of Anything sounded amazing on the Pyramid speakers, wasn't expecting them to open with that, couldn't knock the set list.

Glasto audiences do seem to want more audience interaction from acts, which they definitely could of done, especially the few times it took a short time to transition into the next song. Turner acting too cool for his own good really😄

On 6/24/2023 at 7:55 PM, FloorFiller said:

They just don’t make music for festivals anymore, or at least not for headlining one, and despite their best efforts, their fanbase just isn’t playing ball on their new direction so they’re constantly playing to crowds who want their old sh*t. Real weird position they’re in really - tried to pull a Radiohead and get weird but it just hasn’t landed at all with the people going to their shows. 

Tbf Body Paint seems to go down really well at there recent gigs and one of the most sang along to, even on Friday.

Not sure why they’re getting such negative press. Really enjoyed. 

he never really talks loads or does special guests so not sure what people were expecting. Nice for them to be playing some older songs again on this tour. 

there’s worse bands for lack of interaction 

• Like 1