Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

5 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Are people seriously wanting Mardy Bum that badly? Was never their best and so many better oldies they could bring back. I reckon they’ll do 4 off their debut.

Not necessarily one of their ‘best’ songs, but it’s the change of pace and singalong it brings. Works really well in a large crowd .. think they’d be silly not to include it somewhere. 

They could solve a lot of issues if they played 24 or so songs instead of the 21 they religiously stick to. If there’s ever a time to do it…

I would expect something like what they’re doing on the EU tour with A certain Romance thrown in there for good measure. I guess the question is if they see glasto as more special than the stadium tour (to the point were they would play an extra special song there 

Read this, quite interesting, but it seems that they're a bit embarrassed by some of their early work like Mardy Bum and Fluorescent Adolescent... 

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/arctic-monkeys-classic-refuse-play-live/

Maybe they bring some of their big earlier hits out of the bag for the Big G, as others have said, they might not be headlining it again for a while. Or perhaps it'll be their latest setlist with the admissions and then everyone will have to wait until 2035, when they've made peace with their early work, that they'll FINALLY just play all the hits everyone wants. 

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Or perhaps it'll be their latest setlist with the admissions and then everyone will have to wait until 2035, when they've made peace with their early work, that they'll FINALLY just play all the hits everyone wants. 

With the caveat that by that point their music has become so strange and out there that nobody even recognises the songs as the vocals have been replaced with armpit farts and the instruments by loops of whale moans, except for Brick by Brick which they play in its original form. 

10 hours ago, mufcok said:

If that's a bit much... what does Manchester, Sheffield, Glastonbury, New York classify as 😂

haha! Fair do's! We just want to make sure we are super excited to see them at Glasto. I managed to sell them really quickly on the ticketmaster resale anyway. Enjoy all the shows! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

With the caveat that by that point their music has become so strange and out there that nobody even recognises the songs as the vocals have been replaced with armpit farts and the instruments by loops of whale moans, except for Brick by Brick which they play in its original form. 

That's my Sunday night headliner, 2035, sorted then 😆

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Just watching their 2013 headline set, are they gonna do better than that this year? Only if they play their hits, surely?

That was their peak. 

Won't be better when they refuse to play their best songs and instead replace them with shite lounge music. 

27 minutes ago, nikkic said:

That was their peak. 

Won't be better when they refuse to play their best songs and instead replace them with shite lounge music. 

Yeah would be one thing if they were killing it on this tour and seemed to be enjoying themselves, but from what I’ve seen they’ve very much settled in to the blasé ‘too cool to care’ type of band to match their current music, and tbh they’re probably at a point now where Glastonbury is just another festival set to them rather than being a particularly momentous show so I imagine it’ll be business as usual. 

Anyone else bored of the lazy critiques of their sound now? I absolutely love the latest record and they were excellent when I saw them at Sziget Festival last year.

Like, it was obviously so exciting back in the day with the debut album, the demos and the hype that led up to it (I saw them in the mid 2000s like many of you) but it was a sound and a set of songs that worked well for then and just doesn't feel the same now. I don't want to see a band that fuels itself solely on nostalgia - give us range! 

I concede this will make me one of very few with this opinion but its boring reading the same complaints time and time again.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 11

15 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Anyone else bored of the lazy critiques of their sound now? I absolutely love the latest record and they were excellent when I saw them at Sziget Festival last year.

Like, it was obviously so exciting back in the day with the debut album, the demos and the hype that led up to it (I saw them in the mid 2000s like many of you) but it was a sound and a set of songs that worked well for then and just doesn't feel the same now. I don't want to see a band that fuels itself solely on nostalgia - give us range! 

I concede this will make me one of very few with this opinion but its boring reading the same complaints time and time again.

Eh, happens with every headliner, even the ones everybody is mega excited about. Macca’s voice is fucked, he’s gonna sound bad. Same for Elton. And Axl. Kendrick might just phone it in. Radiohead aren’t gonna play the hits. The Killers shouldn’t be headlining at this stage in their career. Stormzy doesn’t have enough material to headline. Adele is gonna be a snoozefest. Dave Grohl just runs and shouts a lot. Kanye’s gonna be a prick, etc etc. It’s just the British way of talking down something in the hopes it will exceed our expectations and then some rather than let us down. I hope Arctics knock it out of the park…

…but in the interest of not wanting to be let down, they aren’t gonna.

(and although I don’t find myself wanting to go back to it too much, I did actually enjoy The Car, much more than I was expecting to). 

Edited by FloorFiller

54 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

I concede this will make me one of very few with this opinion but it’s boring reading the same complaints time and time again.

I love The Car - Richard Hawley vibes - but you have to play the hits at a festival. This setlist does that quite well.

16 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Read this, quite interesting, but it seems that they're a bit embarrassed by some of their early work like Mardy Bum and Fluorescent Adolescent... 

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/arctic-monkeys-classic-refuse-play-live/

Maybe they bring some of their big earlier hits out of the bag for the Big G, as others have said, they might not be headlining it again for a while. Or perhaps it'll be their latest setlist with the admissions and then everyone will have to wait until 2035, when they've made peace with their early work, that they'll FINALLY just play all the hits everyone wants. 

Yeah, but Fluorescent Adolescent just got added back into the setlist after 10 years. A song I thought they’d never play again.

They’re definitely warming up the classics for Glasto. 

They could solve a lot of issues if they played 24 or so songs instead of the 21 they religiously stick to. If there’s ever a time to do it…

I would expect something like what they’re doing on the EU tour with A certain Romance thrown in there for good measure. I guess the question is if they see glasto as more special than the stadium tour (to the point were they would play an extra special song there 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Yeah, I agree. It really grated on me when Paul McCartney had the nerve to open with a song from 1964. I mean, just leave it in that decade for crying out loud 😅

• 4 weeks later...

I'm soooo conflicted on Arctic Monkeys. Currently re-watching the 2013 set while I catch up on some work that I should have done earlier but ended up proglastinating. My first Glasto headliner. I've never actually watched the set back since being there live. Bringing back all the feels! It was flipping amazing. I really love them, and part of me really wants to be there again. Because if they play a similar set of old bangers, then I'm going to have severe FOMO. But if I chance it and they play the new snooze stuff (which I do like but not on Friday night at the pyramid) then I'm going to be disappointed to say the least. Recent reviews are really putting me off and 2013 was just such a moment for me I just don't know if they can live up to it uhhhhh....I really don't know!!!!

8 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I'm soooo conflicted on Arctic Monkeys. Currently re-watching the 2013 set while I catch up on some work that I should have done earlier but ended up proglastinating. My first Glasto headliner. I've never actually watched the set back since being there live. Bringing back all the feels! It was flipping amazing. I really love them, and part of me really wants to be there again. Because if they play a similar set of old bangers, then I'm going to have severe FOMO. But if I chance it and they play the new snooze stuff (which I do like but not on Friday night at the pyramid) then I'm going to be disappointed to say the least. Recent reviews are really putting me off and 2013 was just such a moment for me I just don't know if they can live up to it uhhhhh....I really don't know!!!!

They were my first headliner too and they've been my favourite band for the past 15 years. Live they're more miss than hit for me but I'll still be there. The setlist for their European shows haven't been great, I'm hoping they change it up a little once they get under way over here. Who would you see instead of them? 

Out of curiosity what would people like to change in their setlists that will be so called snorefests? Looking at their setlists, they play pretty much every big single they have released minus some of the bigger ones from the first record i.e. Sun Goes Down, Fakes Tales as well as no Mardy Bum or Ritz from that record but pretty much everything else is there.

They play 1 sometimes maybe 2 from TBH+C and only 4 from a new record they are touring. Humbug and Suck It & See which also seem less popular only have the singles played in most instances and forgotten about. Obviously AM gets rinsed but that was their most popular as mentioned above. I think it is more the idea of the Arctics that has got stale for most without them realizing it because of the nostalgia attached to the earlier material.

Maybe as well as mentioned above people just want a different setlist with just more of rotation but then we would just get moaning from the otherside of the argument, "they don't play the hits" which is all they have done IMO.

My favorite records are SIAS, Humbug, TBH+C and The Car, I know for sure I couldn't really give a shit if they added When The Sun Goes Down back to the line up but just one of Secret Door or That's Where You're Wrong etc would make the setlist for me regardless of what else they played.

Oh and Certain Romance wouldn't go a miss.

• Like 1