Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

12 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Think this is a fair shout. They’ll have a lot of fans who just know them from AM onwards

That’s certainly true of younger fans, although if I look at the general Glastonbury demographic and the fact it’s a festival and most people won’t be massive fans but along to see a headliner who they know some songs by then they would want it to be first 2 albums heavy. Obviously never going to happy but they could just play the 2013 set again in exactly the same order and I think the vast majority of people would be happy

13 hours ago, Baggins7 said:

Ritz to the rubble tonight. Glasto setlist could be insane 

Sun Goes Down would've been more of a surprise imo. I got Ritz to the Rubble when I saw them in Madrid 5 years ago and it was awesome, and had been aware it was played a few times last year. Was more excited to get View from the Afternoon at Middlesbrough as its one of my favourites but I hadn't seen it in over 10 years.

4 hours ago, Barneym said:

That’s certainly true of younger fans, although if I look at the general Glastonbury demographic and the fact it’s a festival and most people won’t be massive fans but along to see a headliner who they know some songs by then they would want it to be first 2 albums heavy. Obviously never going to happy but they could just play the 2013 set again in exactly the same order and I think the vast majority of people would be happy

all my mates just want the old stuff (age 21-22)!

I think its the general demographic and newer, but not necessarily younger fans that want newer stuff (although lets be honest nobody really wants it)

Young people do still love the old stuff, from AM and many other artists like Oasis, Stone Roses, Killers etc. The Reading fest crowd won't want Killers new stuff, they'll want tunes off Hot Fuss!

From Middlesbrough I saw quite a lot both ways. The crowd went mad for Fluorescent, Mardy Bum and Dancefloor, but equally, the loudest singalong was for Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High and Snap Out of It (a song I didn't miss when it was dropped in 2018) was surprisingly popular. Plus obviously Do I Wanna Know is a mega-smash and R U Mine? seems to be their default closer.

I would be surprised if they suddenly turned up at Glasto and just played The Car and TBHC in full but it would be very funny.

One thing I'd prefer is if they played 505 the normal way. I don't particularly like the current remix they're doing for it - too fast and oddly upbeat for such a sad song. I can see that being really slagged off by the casuals who only watch the Glasto set on TV (assuming they don't pull a Reading and refuse to broadcast it). 4/5's remix was oddly good tbf.

13 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Having been very much on the fence, leaning towards no, about seeing them in the Friday night… I worked their gig on Monday in Swansea hosting customers and they were fantastic. I’m actually so glad I went as they are a must see for me now. 

I saw them at Hillsborough and they were amazing, can't wait to see them next Friday again.

6 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

The AM tide is definitely turning

Surprised its taken so long to realise that arguably the best British bands of the last 20 years are actually really good! 😉

Never doubted that. Have been really hit & miss live though. Let’s hope this one’s a hit.

13 hours ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Surprised its taken so long to realise that arguably the best British bands of the last 20 years are actually really good! 😉

I found it was only on here that people were doubting them for some reason. They’re a universally loved band everywhere else!! 

13 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

I’m so conflicted now. Was dead set on seeing Hot Chip over them but saw AM in Sheffield on Saturday and absolutely loved it and wouldn’t mind another crack. Will see how I feel on the night I think

This is very much me. Like having to choose between my kids and invariably letting one of them down. Might stay in my tent crying instead...

13 hours ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

It’s just an Efestivals thing. I’m not a super fan but I know how popular and well regarded they are. I know 15 people going this year that don’t post on here and every single one is at the Pyramid Friday. Loads of people I know have been on the tour and half of my work is at Bellahouston Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, hurdy said:

This is very much me. Like having to choose between my kids and invariably letting one of them down. Might stay in my tent crying instead...

That (choosing between the kids) is literally what I need to do next Friday.  One kid wants to see Arctic Monkeys, the other fancies Hot Chip.

It does feel like Arctic Monkeys have successfully followed Radiohead in splitting their audience.  I know plenty of people in each of 3 camps:

1. Just want to hear stuff from the first 2 albums.

2. Mostly want to hear stuff from "AM".

3. Actually quite like the new stuff.

Which I suspect is why the audience at some of the recent shows (from the videos I've seen) seems a bit "flat" at times - there are very few songs that have the whole crowd up for them.  And even for some of those, they seem to insist on playing them slower than the recorded version, and/or singing off key.  They aren't making it easy to have a full crowd that's bang up for the whole show!

I'm going tomorrow and will likely also see them next Friday (sorry to my Hot Chip-liking daughter!) - but am not as excited as I would have been before the last couple of albums (I'm in camps 1 and 2 above).

14 hours ago, dhtjmnd12 said:

Could we see them open the same way they opened their first headline set? When the sun goes down into brianstorm? I've watched that video on youtube so many times

I think this could be a shout. They’re opening with songs sometimes that are a call back to old times they’ve played the same city so I reckon this is a decent shout for glasto opener if they did that in 2007

5 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I’m still torn between AM and Hot Chip… never seen hot chip before, seen AM loads but the reviews of the current tour make me think I need to be at AM.

Oh that's an easy decision - if you've not seen them before then Hot Chip all the way. Seen both an equal amount and whilst AM were great on Saturday knowing how good Hot Chip are going to be is what's causing me the problem.

• Like 1

I haven't seen them since Reading Festival 2006 I think despite wanting too since and just not getting round to it so seeing them in a week is going to be like seeing them again for the first time! I can't wait, based on the reviews and people's comments on here. Lets hope it a) doesn't piss down and b) that they get where they are and play to the crowd. If both those things happen, we should be laughing!