LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

9 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I think Avril Lavigne is going to be rammed to be fair... thought she'd get the pyramid. I'm gonna have no voice left, gonna be such a belting sing along

Yes , I’d agree.  Can beat a sunny afternoon pyramid field singsong 

21 minutes ago, incident said:

Sure - but those were all acts breaking through and on their way up.

Avril is (with no offence intended to her current output) more going to appeal to the nostalgia element that works on the Pyramid, with her having a handful of songs that were utterly inescapable 20+ years ago and that most people of just about all generations will still know today.

O-Rod and CRJ were, but Eilish was huge at that point - was surprising she wasn't bumped up to Main. Her crowd at Reading was insanely big and if memory serves it was very big at Glasto as well, so I'd imagine a similar size crowd depending on clashes of course.

But yeah I agree it should be Pyramid really.

10 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I think Avril Lavigne is going to be rammed to be fair... thought she'd get the pyramid. I'm gonna have no voice left, gonna be such a belting sing along

Her last tour got really bad reviews though. 

45 minutes ago, incident said:

Sure - but those were all acts breaking through and on their way up.

Avril is (with no offence intended to her current output) more going to appeal to the nostalgia element that works on the Pyramid, with her having a handful of songs that were utterly inescapable 20+ years ago and that most people of just about all generations will still know today.

So what we're asking why did Glastonbury have to go and make her slot so complicated?

... sorry

46 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I'd argue if it was down to songs/hits alone... Avril and Shania have the most iconic sing-alongs of the whole weekend by a mile

I think Paul Heaton will also have the whole Pyramid field doing a big sing along.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Paul Heaton in an early Rick Astley sort of slot will be just the ticket.

If he's much higher up the line-up then it's yet another over-promotion.

I think he's only seen as an over promotion because he's quite down to earth and has played the farm a lot. Rick Astley is a novelty whereas Paul Heaton is up there as one of the best song writers the UK has produced. I know he would never do the legend slot for the reasons I've mentioned but in terms of a canon of hits that everyone knows and could singalong to there ain't much better out there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I think he's only seen as an over promotion because he's quite down to earth and has played the farm a lot. Rick Astley is a novelty whereas Paul Heaton is up there as one of the best song writers the UK has produced. I know he would never do the legend slot for the reasons I've mentioned but in terms of a canon of hits that everyone knows and could singalong to there ain't much better out there.

The trouble is, and I mean this sincerely -

He plays Perfect 10.

Automatic 20 slot deduction for that.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Better than including 36D

Ah.

I was referring to it being one of the most irritating songs ever, rather than it being problematic.

But yeah.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

The trouble is, and I mean this sincerely -

He plays Perfect 10.

Automatic 20 slot deduction for that.

I find it rather amusing that he takes to the stage wearing football hooligan attire (Stone Island jackets) most of the time. 😄 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I used to hate it. Like really hate it. But maybe I've mellowed with age.

I've not.

It's the one song where I hear those opening notes, and I before I've even properly registered what's happening, by instinct I'm scrambling to turn off the TV / Radio or if that's not possible then literally leave the room.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, incident said:

I've not.

It's the one song where I hear those opening notes, and I before I've even properly registered what's happening, by instinct I'm scrambling to turn off the TV / Radio or if that's not possible then literally leave the room.

I've never identified with a comment on here so much, its like you're reaching into my brain and transcribing my exact thoughts and feelings. I cant be in the same room as that song. (That and the Sheeran faux irish abomination that i wont even utter the name of because it sickens me so much)

• Upvote 1

I've always had a possibly irrational hatred of all things Paul Heaton other than the fact he seems a really sound bloke. I think it's the lyrics, just so twee and trying to be clever. He'll go down a storm.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That reminds me, I found out at my mate's funeral that he was secretly partial to a bit of the Beautiful South. I was suddenly really pissed off at him for not still being alive because I couldn't take the piss out of him for it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

saw him last year at Latitude and he has a bucketful of great songs and comes across as a nice chap.  Yeah perfect 10 can do one.  Agree he will go down a storm on the pyramid in the early afternoon.

Yip. He was on ahead of Pulp at trnsmt last summer and was excellent scenes. Sun out big crowd. 
Wondered how it would work without Jackie A but he’d found a very able replacement 👌

Excellent habit of leaving money behind local pubs to get his round in 👏 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Well no, I'll let him have that one.

When the Housemartins played the pyramid in 1986, during the set someone climbed the speaker stack to the left of the stage to erect a banner to protest about news international and the Wapping strikes. 

As I recall there was an expectation they might get upset at this interrupting their show, but hats off to them they encouraged them on. 

That and the numerous times he's taken a principled stand or dipped into his pocket to support communities or his fans - he's a top bloke.