Football 2022/23

charlierc

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Most kids football has gone as well. I'm not a royalist but can't believe the queen would want kids stuck in mourning instead of being out playing in a field.

It's already curious to see football take this approach when both other sports are playing on and that they played on when the last monarch died in 1952, but it is equally odd to see football at levels below the EFL including kids to be halted.

I can understand it making sense for the professional game but I'd have thought just leaving it there would've sufficed.

Have they said yet when they think they might be able to give a ruling one way or another on restarting? There's European games featuring English clubs this midweek coming up plus lower league full rounds and fixtures next weekend, and judging by how packed the schedule will be both before the World Cup in November and after, I'm not sure how much wriggle room there is if we're racking up more postponements.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Have they said yet when they think they might be able to give a ruling one way or another on restarting? There's European games featuring English clubs this midweek coming up plus lower league full rounds and fixtures next weekend, and judging by how packed the schedule will be both before the World Cup in November and after, I'm not sure how much wriggle room there is if we're racking up more postponements.

from what im seeing on twitter it seems like the european games will get the go-ahead next week .... unconfirmed though 

On 9/10/2022 at 8:26 AM, pink_triangle said:

Most kids football has gone as well. I'm not a royalist but can't believe the queen would want kids stuck in mourning instead of being out playing in a field.

the only playing b in a field the royals like is for sorting out family disputes in the fields of flanders

'respect' is going to be a term used to justify all sorts of ridiculous shite over the next couple of weeks. There's absolutely no reason to cancel football, other than to avoid bad press from demented news organisations (that funnily enough havnt moaned about the rugby and cricket carrying on!).

Sport shouldn't stop because of a 96yr old woman dying, people can withdraw from watching or participating in events if their grief is really that all encompassing. My dad died in 1997 and i can only too easily recall the sickmaking nonsense at the end of that year, with endless talking heads, newspaper articles and hoohah over the nation losing its sweetheart in Princess Diana - when thousands of families were dealing with the loss of an actual person in their lives. I absolutely hate people speaking on behalf of the nation, and its absolutely rife at the mo. 

14 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

There is a big discussion on the Wrexham message board about whether to respect the minute silence or not. I'm not the biggest fan of the monarchy, but I personally see little to be gained from booing during a minute silence. If you don't want to respect it, come to your seat late.

Similar going on on the Liverpool forum I'm a member of. 97% saying they'd respect a minutes silence or at least stay out the way until it was over, others see little point given the fact "Scousers" has been trending on Twitter over most of the weekend with many people blaming Liverpool fans for all games being called off at the weekend rather than the FA. 

As we've all seen over the years, it only takes one person to shout something, that's followed by someone telling them to shut up, then people tell that person to shut up, then some people start booing the people saying shut up and it quickly descends into farce until the ref blows his whistle and it all being over. See the Hearts game on Thursday.

I'm going to Anfield for the Ajax game tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what the powers that be decide to do. They're basically on a hiding to nothing. Silence will be disrupted by a few try-hards, minutes applause emboldens people more as they are not so easily picked out, do nothing and they are accused of disrespect. I honestly think they should do the latter, maybe just make an announcement of some sort and not bother with anything where the focus is on the crowd. Even an impeccably observed minutes silence would just have keyboard warriors saying we were shamed into it.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Similar going on on the Liverpool forum I'm a member of. 97% saying they'd respect a minutes silence or at least stay out the way until it was over, others see little point given the fact "Scousers" has been trending on Twitter over most of the weekend with many people blaming Liverpool fans for all games being called off at the weekend rather than the FA. 

As we've all seen over the years, it only takes one person to shout something, that's followed by someone telling them to shut up, then people tell that person to shut up, then some people start booing the people saying shut up and it quickly descends into farce until the ref blows his whistle and it all being over. See the Hearts game on Thursday.

I'm going to Anfield for the Ajax game tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what the powers that be decide to do. They're basically on a hiding to nothing. Silence will be disrupted by a few try-hards, minutes applause emboldens people more as they are not so easily picked out, do nothing and they are accused of disrespect. I honestly think they should do the latter, maybe just make an announcement of some sort and not bother with anything where the focus is on the crowd. Even an impeccably observed minutes silence would just have keyboard warriors saying we were shamed into it.

Even if you're an ardent anti-royalist (which I am), you'd have to be a complete moron to boo during a minutes silence!

18 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

There is a big discussion on the Wrexham message board about whether to respect the minute silence or not. I'm not the biggest fan of the monarchy, but I personally see little to be gained from booing during a minute silence. If you don't want to respect it, come to your seat late.

Well I mean everyone on there is in agreement that people shouldn't boo. People (like me) who don't want to observe the minute silence have said they'll be staying the concourse. 

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Even if you're an ardent anti-royalist (which I am), you'd have to be a complete moron to boo during a minutes silence!

Booing in general is very weird unless you're at a panto. 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Interested as to what forum and your username. Could be the same one I use.

I'm on the Rattle but don't tend to post much.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:44 PM, pink_triangle said:

If Southgate does leave after the world cup then that's the obvious successor in a job he won't want to leave. The only English managers left in the premiership (unless I am forgetting someone) are Howe (also unlikely to leave) Gerrard and Lampard. Could it be the return of big Sam!

The obvious solution is to choose Lampard and Gerrard as joint managers - am sure they’d work really well together. 

50 minutes ago, charlierc said:

There's a proper pantomime quality about football at times tbf.

There is, the nut cases you see on Twitter and YouTube having a meltdown over every little thing could do with actually going to a match and seeing how much time people spend just laughing at whatever bollocks is going on in front of them.

56 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

There is, the nut cases you see on Twitter and YouTube having a meltdown over every little thing could do with actually going to a match and seeing how much time people spend just laughing at whatever bollocks is going on in front of them.

I think a lot of it is about how it's packaged, given so much about how football is packaged is this big dramatic all-consuming spectacle, way more than if you just turned up at a game.

The silence at Anfield was better observed than I expected, about 5 people shouting stuff but then them being shouted down by others made it sound worse. The big "LIZARD!" shout was the highlight. 

On the pitch, much better display from Liverpool. Having Thiago back makes a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

The silence at Anfield was better observed than I expected, about 5 people shouting stuff but then them being shouted down by others made it sound worse. The big "LIZARD!" shout was the highlight. 

On the pitch, much better display from Liverpool. Having Thiago back makes a huge difference.

Didn’t really hear it on BT sport but the commentators made a comment about it … which they really didn’t need to in my opinion . Thiago looked class in first game back and stayed injury free too . 

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

As does Matip, the most underrated player in the PL.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

As does Matip, the most underrated player in the PL.

Yeah he does, mention Matip to anyone but Liverpool supporters and they look at you like you're insane. Tsimikas also looked very good last night. Not sure of having no game for 2 weeks is now a good or bad thing.