Football 2022/23

charlierc

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

I'm sure liverpool have learned lessons from united at that point. 

theyre going to need a manager after kloop and theres no obvious candidate, so they'll have to appoint a less than perfect person. gerard might fit that.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

What level of success would he need at villa to get the Liverpool job though. Success in Villa is probably getting in the top half, is that enough to get the Liverpool job? If he loses his job at Villa he is probably looking at bottom half premiership clubs.

Getting Villa in the Champions League would get you the right to the front of the Liverpool queue tbf.

Fast-tracking a club star of yore into the spot does have rough and smooth - Arteta had a ropey start but now looks like he has an Arsenal team that buys in to what he wants to do, whereas Lampard at Chelsea really didn't work. Though such was Chelsea in the Roman reign that sacking managers was a given.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Getting Villa in the Champions League would get you the right to the front of the Liverpool queue tbf.

Fast-tracking a club star of yore into the spot does have rough and smooth - Arteta had a ropey start but now looks like he has an Arsenal team that buys in to what he wants to do, whereas Lampard at Chelsea really didn't work. Though such was Chelsea in the Roman reign that sacking managers was a given.

Agreed, but I am not sure any manager in the world gets villa in the champions league. I'm not sure what "realistic" success is at villa.

17 minutes ago, thetime said:

Scott Parker getting the sack is a bit mad after 4 games. They beat villa and lost to Liverpool, City and arsenal.

how do they get themselves something better.

I do have a bit of a soft spot for Parker as he was a great player for us but even so it does seem ridiculously harsh to sack him at this point. 

Yeah conceding 16 goals and scoring 2 in 4 games ain't great but when 3 of the games are against last season's champions, runners up and 5th place side (that have also improved since) and you own the other one it does kind of make sense to leave him there a bit longer.

That's 3 of the big boys out of the way already and there's games coming up where you'd think they'd be able to get points from, especially if they play like they did against Villa. 

Their games up until the World Cup break are Wolves (H), Forest (A), Brighton (H), Newcastle (A), Brentford (H), Leicester (H) Fulham (A), Southampton (H), West Ham (A), Spurs (H), Leeds (A) and Everton (H). That's a decent run and you'd have expected them to pick up quite a few points on it with Scotty in charge, although I s'pose the same can be said for whoever his replacement is. 

Surprised to see that. it does seem like he has gone because of his relationship with the owners but you do have to wonder why they think they'll be able to get someone better at this stage? It's not going to help with any signings is it? Or maybe they were never going to make any.

To be honest though, he should have been sacked for persisting with that cardigan.

Which one of the managerial roundabout mob do you think they'll bring in? Dyche being touted already.

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Gerrard has lost half his matches at Villa. Probably about right for a Villa season. 

Anyone know if this Antony fella is any good? 

Cmon,  utd can't be turned around by a single signing 

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Well theres a few now. Verane fit and playing instead of Slabhead, Martinez and now Antony. 

Hopefully they do it the right way, rather than boom and bust. The signings like Ronaldo, Cavani, Falcao, Zlatan have to be over to be succesful in the long term.

48 minutes ago, thetime said:

Hopefully they do it the right way, rather than boom and bust. The signings like Ronaldo, Cavani, Falcao, Zlatan have to be over to be succesful in the long term.

i'm still waituing for utd to bust leeds-style. one season without europe should do it.

43 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'm still waituing for utd to bust leeds-style. one season without europe should do it.

They were out of Europe in 2014/15 after the Moyes misfire and if anything they spent even more that season than usual.

It took Leeds 2 years of not reaching the Champions League for the house of cards to collapse, but I think MUFC might have enough liquidity to withstand that. Maybe.

11 hours ago, thetime said:

Scott Parker getting the sack is a bit mad after 4 games. They beat villa and lost to Liverpool, City and arsenal.

Bournemouth fans and reporters are saying there was some kind of unresolved tension over the second half of last season that has clearly exploded after his comments on Saturday that they could lose 9-0 repeatedly without investment.

Just hints at a club that may have got promoted at the wrong time with a really bad atmosphere. I'm not saying they should be throwing cash around with abandon like Forest are doing, but it's odd how much it went from "We're motivated to prove everyone wrong" after beating an admittedly ropey looking Villa to effectively going "We're shit and gonna get beat every week" after 3 games against very tough opponents in a row. I'd have at least given him the chance to mount a recovery against Wolves tomorrow night, but what can ya do.