Football 2022/23

charlierc

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It may be my club bias, but welcome to Wrexham is definitely one of the better football documentaries!

Ooo I'd been waiting for this to come out before doing a Disney+ free trial to see if its worth a look. It's got some solid reviews but good to know it's got the seal of approval from somebody very familiar with the subject matter.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Never thought I'd see Newcastle being in the market for a £60million player that turns into a beast on Football Manager. Hopefully he's as good as his coded avatar rather than being Cherno Samba for the 2020s.

I thought he was pretty good at the Euro's in what was a poor Swedish team. Definitely the stand out performer and can dribble for a big lad.

Transfer window closes in 1 week. Where teams like Leicester and Everton are concerned you have to wonder are they going to take a bigger points hit from not getting the right players in or signing them and taking a deduction for failing financial fair play.

28 minutes ago, lost said:

I thought he was pretty good at the Euro's in what was a poor Swedish team. Definitely the stand out performer and can dribble for a big lad.

Transfer window closes in 1 week. Where teams like Leicester and Everton are concerned you have to wonder are they going to take a bigger points hit from not getting the right players in or signing them and taking a deduction for failing financial fair play.

Those who follow Spanish football more than I say that Isak was better in 2020/21 than he was last season, hence why he's now in our sights rather than a Champions League side, but there is absolutely potential there. His record is pretty decent, and that profile sounds in line with our requirements.

I do agree with that tbf. Everton still seem in a mad scramble for players without touching on the striker they need the most - a similar thing to Chelsea judging by their odd pursuit of Gordon - while Leicester seem hamstrung by FFP trouble and there's a bit of a negative atmosphere building over there. How this translates is curious, mind, given both still seem capable of winning games.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Never thought I'd see Newcastle being in the market for a £60million player that turns into a beast on Football Manager. Hopefully he's as good as his coded avatar rather than being Cherno Samba for the 2020s.

Cherno samba had a short spell at Wrexham. My experience with him on football manager and reality were very different.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Ooo I'd been waiting for this to come out before doing a Disney+ free trial to see if its worth a look. It's got some solid reviews but good to know it's got the seal of approval from somebody very familiar with the subject matter.

My favourite documentary is the Sunderland but that's basically because it's such a calamity. I find the premiership ones a bit too sanitised.

To me (but it may be my bias) this isn't as Americanised as I feared and as much about the people and the town. At the same time it doesn't make a joke out of anyone. I think it gets the balance right a d is a good representation of a lower league football club and a working class town/now a city.

Those Amazon documentaries are really strange  - didnt want to watch the Spurs one at all (because its my club, i absolutely hate/d Mourinho, and i'd rather not ruin what little mystique there is by looking under the hood and potentially finding out half the squad are bloody idiots) but i did watch the last episode of the arsenal because LOLs 😄  - i just think it doesnt ever come close to unearthing anything too insightful, cos its PR'd to the max by the clubs. its essentially pointless. 

18 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Those Amazon documentaries are really strange  - didnt want to watch the Spurs one at all (because its my club, i absolutely hate/d Mourinho, and i'd rather not ruin what little mystique there is by looking under the hood and potentially finding out half the squad are bloody idiots) but i did watch the last episode of the arsenal because LOLs 😄  - i just think it doesnt ever come close to unearthing anything too insightful, cos its PR'd to the max by the clubs. its essentially pointless. 

I found the episode at Spurs went covid arrived and forced the PL shutdown to be the most interesting but the rest did feel like the Jose Mourinho show. Though saying that half the squad who were then under Mourinho have probably left by now as well as JM himself so you can probably laugh at that mis-step a bit more now.

I do agree with the nature of it tbf. It's a high gloss storytelling exercise. I was intrigued by concept at first and I gather the ones for NFL teams do get in depth, but they never quite feel as into it as possible. It might be because the Sunderland series was well done while covering both the local community and a team struggling with self-perpetuating failure rather than something in the PL big money bubble.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:31 PM, pink_triangle said:

My favourite documentary is the Sunderland but that's basically because it's such a calamity. I find the premiership ones a bit too sanitised.

To me (but it may be my bias) this isn't as Americanised as I feared and as much about the people and the town. At the same time it doesn't make a joke out of anyone. I think it gets the balance right a d is a good representation of a lower league football club and a working class town/now a city.

There's absolutely a version of this where it goes the wrong way, where the balance of how to make it work just fails to fit together. I'm guessing a few would've been unsure of it when it was said that Rob and Ryan's main aim was the documentary making, but if it does a good job at showing the world the club, fanbase and environment the two live in, that's a good sign. 

Certainly does make me more interested in setting up the free trial for those purposes, anyway.

Those in the know are saying Sunderland welcomed the Netflix cameras back this week for the first time in 3 years. Timed just as manager Alex Neil has been allowed to go talk to Stoke City about their vacant manager's job... talk about great dramatic timing.

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I wonder if Gerrard will end up regretting taking the Villa job. He clearly wants the Liverpool job, but I always thought the level he would need to reach at villa to put him in contention for that job would be tough to reach.

i get what you mean, but i don't really see "competitions-won" as being the decider on him getting the liverpool job.

if he get a cup or two (easily pssible) that'll cover that side of things

53 minutes ago, Neil said:

i get what you mean, but i don't really see "competitions-won" as being the decider on him getting the liverpool job.

if he get a cup or two (easily pssible) that'll cover that side of things

I mean look at the teams who win cups and the average lifespan of a mid table premiership manager. I think him winning a cup is a big ask. I think a better pathway to the Liverpool job would be to have stayed in the backroom staff and hoped when klopp eventually leaves it's mid season, or stick at rangers.

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I mean look at the teams who win cups and the average lifespan of a mid table premiership manager. I think him winning a cup is a big ask. I think a better pathway to the Liverpool job would be to have stayed in the backroom staff and hoped when klopp eventually leaves it's mid season, or stick at rangers.

Brenda proved that winning in Scotland means fuck all for England. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Brendan isn't a legendary player though. I just don't see what club in England would give Gerrard the platform to take the Liverpool job.

villa does that, its a well-respected club.

31 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What level of success would he need at villa to get the Liverpool job though. Success in Villa is probably getting in the top half, is that enough to get the Liverpool job? If he loses his job at Villa he is probably looking at bottom half premiership clubs.

Great footballers rarely make great managers, I think history tells us?

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

What level of success would he need at villa to get the Liverpool job though.

i'm not sure he needs success to get that job, his club legend status will do it.