Football 2022/23

charlierc

On 10/4/2022 at 12:46 PM, Skip997 said:

Didn't seem to work properly - linked to replies rather than the original Tweet about Man City being one of many PL clubs with odd betting sponsors.

Though the video by HITC Sevens it linked to as one of the replies is a decent watch, as is a more recent one about crypto sponsors.

5 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Title is long gone already, most important thing this season is making sure we qualify for the Champions League next season. The way things are going so far I'm not even sure that'll happen unless we have a pretty quick turnaround.

So a reprise of the 2020/21 season, but without the lack of centre-backs to hide behind this time around.

5 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Title is long gone already, most important thing this season is making sure we qualify for the Champions League next season. The way things are going so far I'm not even sure that'll happen unless we have a pretty quick turnaround.

The advantage liverpool have got, is the main rivals for a top 4 spot are not up to much either. Will be interesting how it pans out for Arsenal in the next 6 weeks or so. 

On 10/6/2022 at 7:54 PM, thetime said:

The advantage liverpool have got, is the main rivals for a top 4 spot are not up to much either. Will be interesting how it pans out for Arsenal in the next 6 weeks or so. 

It's a more interesting fight tbf given the rest of the big six beyond Man City and Arsenal have had less even starts. Still 30-odd games to go, mind. There's time for Liverpool to get out of their funk just yet, for example.

I might have been more enthusiastic about Brighton making the top six before Chelsea pinched Potter. Some are enthusiastic Newcastle could nip in for a top six spot but I'm taking it one step at a time as a Mags fan, especially given how many injuries and draws we've had this season.

I was about to comment that Casillas is saying the hacking thing: Iker Casillas: Ex-Real Madrid and Spain keeper deletes 'I'm gay' tweet and says he was hacked - BBC Sport

Puyol has less of an excuse given it looks like he thought it was genuine banter. But man alive what a fucking mess. 

Edited by charlierc

I thought the Arsenal v Liverpool game was good fun, and a sign Arsenal are actually able to roll with things given Liverpool played better than a lot of their recent other matches.

Whether they can outlast Man City is another matter. Certainly, I think any team that finishes above Man City this season will be the champions.

31 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Am I blind or did that not touch Rashford's hand?

I think it probably brushed his upper arm, but it's still ridiculous that there's different rules for attackers and defenders!

No big deal I guess, as it didn't affect the final result, but it could have!

Edited by Punksnotdead

12 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Are you talking about the Rashford disallowed goal? It's such a ludicrous rule that that's a handball for the attacking team, but it's not a handball for a defending team!

That and a few other decisions. Its ruined the game. Goals given and big celebratons and then nah.

31 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Ah the old "even over a season" myth

It doesn't

Overall it does, in fact it often favours teams more than a negative response. Like refs it favours the bigger sides in the league.

Over last season only 4 teams had more than -2 var decisions go against them throughout the season. 

www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4452736/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club-in-2021-22

Edited by thetime

50 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Been a sacking in the Championship today but

What's odd is that I thought West Brom was a decent landing spot for him - still had most of their PL squad, were in the play-offs at the time he replaced Ismael and got what looked like some really good 2nd tier-worthy additions in the summer, and their underlying stats suggest they should have more than 1 win that came against a defensively flaky Hull.

Yet here we are. Clearly, not a club-manager union that worked. As evidenced by many WBA fans popping up saying they wanted him gone before this week, and many fans of his former club going "Well, you were warned".

Edited by charlierc