The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ours used to struggle massively and huge amounts of food was thrown away .... such a shit job having to waste that lot .... fortunately ( crosses fingers ) we have a better backup generator these days ..... not unknown to waste 50k worth 

Power seems to be fine, just the open front design of all of their units can’t keep the temperature low enough. Air con was running too, but was only managing to hold the temp at around 28-30c at the 40c peak. 

We just aren’t set up for it, even the equipment we do have in places isn’t powerful enough / designed for this kind of heat! 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we were forecast for storms tonight and rain tomorrow...but that gone now. This country needs rain.

The meteorologist on Sky News said rain from a thunderstorm wasn’t the right type of rain either. We need steady, sustained rainfall to soak into the ground but we aren’t forecast any of that. 

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

We call this August to October in California.

The UK wasn't like this when our ancestors chose to populate it... California was... I don't say that to belittle the struggles you Californians face, or to criticise, I say it to highlight, again, that we're just not set up for it like lots of other places... 

Our homes are designed to keep heat in, and we rarely have aircon. Our tarmac (asphalt) is formulated to survive freezing winters, not temps of 50-60 in the sun. Only around 30% of callouts our firefighters attend are actual fires, they attend a similar amount of RTA incidents. They certainly do not deal with wildfires on this scale very often. Even our damn refrigerators, it seems, are not cut out for these temperatures. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Ok what do I say to him?! (apart from have some self respect)

IMG_20220719_173311.jpg

Oh my god I love your dog. For some reason I pictured some big aggressive looking thing!

I braved the tube, which was hideous and packed due to severe delays on most lines, for the cinema which is gloriously air conditioned. Right decision.

At least the next time I get covid it’ll be better than this time.

How I’ve not lost weight from the amount of sweating I’ve done over the last few days is a mystery.

4068FCD9-23F8-4E57-8321-355709287DCE.thumb.jpeg.20300125df3d03a152ec3c388bbcb2e1.jpeg

How long do people tend to test positive these days?

This was this morning having first tested positive on Saturday.

Edited by JoeyT

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

How I’ve not lost weight from the amount of sweating I’ve done over the last few days is a mystery.

4068FCD9-23F8-4E57-8321-355709287DCE.thumb.jpeg.20300125df3d03a152ec3c388bbcb2e1.jpeg

4 days for me but rest of crew up to 10 days 

Can’t believe the hottest temperature was in Conisby, half an hour from me. My day of delivering sofas was brutal, got to 45c in the van when we parked up to put a sofa in a house. All the customers offered us cold drinks, the second drop of the day even offered us a beer at 9.30. We had to decline since A) it’s not a festival or holiday so can’t be drinking at 9.30 and more importantly B) it was Carling he was offering 

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

In April I was still testing positive after 10 days but felt fine after the initial 5 days of symptoms

9 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Found my limit, have been sat in an empty beer garden all morning, topping up the tan, occasionally sitting under the lawn sprinkler… Was doing ok until now… Had to come in at 47c in the sun, 36c in the shade. 

Has anybody else taken any readings in the sun? Could very well hit 50 in the sun in places today… Hottest ‘in the sun’ temp I’ve ever seen before today was 45c on one of the big pharmacy thermometers in Tenerife. So this is now officially the hottest I’ve ever experienced.

Also, think the East Midlands record just went, Watnall, my closest, is still behind with their reporting. 

Hit 48 in the sun earlier. Had to bring the thermometer in because it might have shattered.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The climate change denial elsewhere is phenomenal….  I guess it’s the extreme view but it’s pretty scary for the planet 🌎 

It's all fueled by big oil influencing parliament groups like the ERG and others. Murdoch has his finger in this pie and his press needs to protect his mates. 

Edit. I still have no bacon

Edited by Rufus Gwertigan

2 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

It's all fueled by big oil influencing parliament groups like the ERG and others. Murdoch has his finger in this pie and his press needs to protect his mates. 

Edit. I still have no bacon

I don’t know if it’s actually bots though .. maybe it’s just people paid to respond . I’d offer to send bacon 🥓 if we have some but due to Royal Mail strikes it might not be such a good idea