Skunk Anansie

Cooter

Just looked at the Clashfinder.  I am volunteering with Oxfam but provided I am not working I could potentially see Skunk Anansie.  I have never seen them and would like to.  Kind of cool that she was the first female Glastonbury headliner ever - way before this became a thing.

3 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I'm not there this year but if I was I'd be running to see this lot. Anyone seen them recently? Wow what a band they were and hopefully still are. How's Skins voice nowadays?

Saw them a few years ago at Bearded Theory (2017?) and they were great. Her voice was fantastic then so hopefully still ok. First time I'd seen them live. Always liked them just never got round to it before. 

11 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Just looked at the Clashfinder.  I am volunteering with Oxfam but provided I am not working I could potentially see Skunk Anansie.  I have never seen them and would like to.  Kind of cool that she was the first female Glastonbury headliner ever - way before this became a thing.

She was the first black female headliner but first female headliner award goes to Suzanne Vega who played wearing a bullet proof vest as she had received credible death threats. 

Skunk Anansie are on my possible list. I read Skin’s biography recently and she is a very interesting lady. 

17 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Ah yes, I remember now reading about Suzanne Vega.  Want to read Skin's book as well.

I’d recommend it. I knew very little about her (not even the music really, one of those bands that kind of passed me by) but the biography made me start listening to her stuff. I love a good biography and I don’t really care whether I know the person or not. 

53 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Saw them a few years ago at Bearded Theory (2017?) and they were great. Her voice was fantastic then so hopefully still ok. First time I'd seen them live. Always liked them just never got round to it before. 

Me too at Bearded, fantastic set. Torn here though as they clash with Gabriels whose singer has the voice of an angel. 

23 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I love a good biography and I don’t really care whether I know the person or not. 

I am reading 'Bunnyman' at the moment, by Will Sergeant of Echo & the Bunnymen.  A great read.  His account of seeing Slade is one of the best bits of rock'n roll writing I have read!

10 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I am reading 'Bunnyman' at the moment, by Will Sergeant of Echo & the Bunnymen.  A great read.  His account of seeing Slade is one of the best bits of rock'n roll writing I have read!

My favourite music read possibly ever is Broken Greek by Pete Paphides. I am so gutted that he clashes with Yasmin Williams. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Robinson said:

Saw this one too - will never forget as it was my first ever crowd surf and i locked eyes with skin who smiled at me - such an epic moment!!

I haven't crowdsurfed for pushing 20 years, but I'm odds on for this set if there are enough people!

1 minute ago, fat_man_joe said:

Always wanted to see Skunk Anansie. I'll definitely be there.

Do you 'spose Pavarotti could turn up again for a guest slot?

If we’re bringing artists back from the dead I’ll prioritise Bowie please 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

One of my mates saw them a few weeks ago and he told me to make sure I go see them. 

They are on my must see list anyway. 

I'll keep an eye out for the lighthouse in the crowd and try to catch you Squirrel 😄

So this has been my listening this afternoon, got me thinking about setlist for the Saturday.  They've got an hour, so I've taken a stab at what they might come out with / what I'm hoping for. 

Unbelievably, at least on Setlist.fm, they never play Rise Up live so I'm just gonna have to file that one away with Radiohead playing Thinking About You as a never gonna happen moment.

1. Yes It's Fucking Political
  2. And Here I Stand
  3. I Can Dream
  4. Weak
  5. Twisted
  6. My Ugly Boy
  7. Can't Take You Anywhere
  8. Love Someone Else
  9. Hedonism
  10. This Means War
  11. Charlie Big Potato
  12. Tear The Place Up