Diana Ross ( party at palace

sedra

1 hour ago, garc1a said:

How did it become known as a "legends" spot anyway? was that the Glasto goers doing or the festivals?

Either way its not a slot i have been big on over the years, i have seen Brian Wilson (carried by his backing singers and woeful), dolly (personally even tho i am a huge country fan, thought it was jus awful cabaret i left early), paul simon (admittedly himself said he was terrible or words to that effect), not sure f old johnny cash fell in that slot in the 90s when i seen him. i didnt see lional ritchie on stage.. i did see him in the back stage area.. 

give it another 5 years and surely yer Oasis etc will start to hit the age where they can qualify for that slot 🙂

edit to add - after seeing a little of Di Ross at the jubillee, i will not be joining my friend at one of his "must sees"... if the other night was anything to go by it is a defo must do something else.. dc for me as well now.  i do think that televised jubilee performance will reduce her glasto crowd she could have had.. or then again...

Oasis will headline and youll just get the brothers on their own eventually. Will they dip into getting the Westlife's of the world though? 

When I saw Diana in 2018 she was perfectly fine and enjoyable. Same with Barry Gibb in 2016. Im sure plenty will show up regardless.

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

I think people appreciate something familiar and comforting after being battered by Glastonbury since Wednesday.

But maybe it's been overblown a bit and to much money / publicity on it.

I think it should stay but more low key and it doesn't need to be a megastar for people to still enjoy it.

I will be at diana mind as I like her old music.

This is spot on.

It's a nice wholesome hour or so before going into one last night of partying.

I have no issue at all with the legend slot but for me personally I only go when it’s a legend that I really like. One of the worst bits about the legend slot is that often people turn up just to take their selfie and hear the one song they know. I was there for Dolly because I love Dolly and it got bloody annoying the streams of people leaving and walking past me when I was trying to watch it. So I don’t like to annoy others if I am not as interested I make sure I am elsewhere rather than turning up in case it’s good. My favourite of all the legend slots was Ray Davies and I think that was before the hype of the legend slot. 

Whilst it was a remarkable thing that they got Dolly I also think the whole legend slot has been overhyped ever since. I love a great sing a long on Sunday afternoon but I would be happy with lesser names who knew how to bring guaranteed fun. 

16 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Not miming according to the Beeb........

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/06/05/diana-ross-not-miming-insists-bbc-viewers-become-suspicious/

Some set of pipes if true. This schedule is peak Springsteen esque

image-asset.jpeg?format=1500w

If she does well at Glasto may see a few sold outs for the remainder. At the moment you can get 2 for 1 tickets for some dates on ticketmaster.

25 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The festival themselves don't really contribute much to 'hype' for it. They book it and announce it, but it's on places like here that people spend ages analysing footage and debating the politics of it.

I mean they kinda do. I’ve noticed in recent years an act will be billed as a tea time / legend slot. It’s on the poster this year.

To think the festival has no part in this is just silly, it’s a big part of how they organise the event. It’s a great opportunity to maximise BBC coverage and keep that October instant sell out / the big names rolling in. 

Also (more generally) why is this a problem for some people? If you’re not interested in who they book go and see someone else. It’s a bit of fun and it separates Glastonbury from its competition. Most festivals now have incorporated some kind of 4th or 5th headliner slot, this is Glastonbury’s vision of that. It’s how the market is going and Glastonbury is putting their spin on the trend.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Like I said, it's minimal. It's not like there's TV adverts for it.

If you do the legends you’re one of the main faces of the BBC coverage. They do adverts / news catch-ups on Glastonbury and the coverage is as far and wide as you can do for a gig. 

I’ve seen this hinted at a few times here and I find it baffling, I can’t believe some of you think Glastonbury is very little exposure or doesn’t reach very far? I think some of you underestimate the reach of the BBC/BBC News coverage. 

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sure - it's broadcast and gets in the news. No-one's disputing that. That's not really hype though and the festival presumably have little say if e.g. Dolly Parton gets repeated over and over again.

Well it is fantastic news for the festival as it ensures that October sell out (which the current Glastonbury relies on) is still likely.

I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding with why the festival does some things here. The festival has a weird business model where they need to book things which capture the headlines, and an aspect of overexposure is one of the main reasons the event goes ahead as it does. The festival has to do all it can to ensure that it sells out in October.

How? By booking big acts that lend themselves well to TV/Online media coverage. Why? Because if the festival went down a MOR direction or started booking lineups that were not as exciting, it would face the risk of not selling out or people losing interest. I reckon a lot of their bookings, finances, and exclusivity arrangements with artists rely on that instant sell out. So they can continue to bring in big names where doing Glastonbury doesn’t hinder their ticket sales. It’s a luxury that other festivals don’t have.

The legend slot is one of way of keeping Glastonbury is the minds of the public when it’s going on. If it all feels a big singalong / made for TV… that’s because it sort of is.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Also (more generally) why is this a problem for some people? If you’re not interested in who they book go and see someone else. It’s a bit of fun and it separates Glastonbury from its competition. Most festivals now have incorporated some kind of 4th or 5th headliner slot, this is Glastonbury’s vision of that. It’s how the market is going and Glastonbury is putting their spin on the trend.

^^ exactly this. 

After doing other festivals, it was the legend slot that convinced me to go to my first Glasto in 2009. After seeing Dame Shirley on the coverage of 2008, I rallied my troop and we've been to every one since. 

I'm not even a particular fan of hers, but it was just something different to what I'd experienced before and made me want to get to the farm. 

Obviously not impressed by last night, but I really don't think it's a good indication of what her Glasto set will be like. These things are always mimed surely? Huge televised event, packed line-up, sanitised for the sake of a Jubilee audience. 

I'll still go I reckon, if only because by tea time I'll be mashed and wanting to dance. By that point in the weekend they could stick a CD on and I'd still have a good time. 

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Not miming according to the Beeb........

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/06/05/diana-ross-not-miming-insists-bbc-viewers-become-suspicious/

Some set of pipes if true. This schedule is peak Springsteen esque

image-asset.jpeg?format=1500w

She was literally talking over her own voice at one point, holding the mic no where near her etc. If not a full blown mime, then her mic was so low as to be undetectable over the backing track, so it might as well have been.

I was disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing her at Glastonbury but may opt for Fontaines DC now. Probably be one of those see how I feel on the day kind of moments.

19 hours ago, clarkete said:

You didn't answer my question about which you'd seen 😛

Sorry, been at work all day, so, off the top of my head, I was in the field for Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, Paul Simon, ELO, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. Not seen one since then.

And don't get me wrong, I love a lot of Dolly's music, and I'm absolutely in awe of what she's done and her body of work and the charitable stuff and all of it. But I found that performance really pretty poor. And pointless. 

I don't really understand it, I know that doesn't matter a fuck whether I do or not, but yeah, it's a big part of the artists budget and it gets a disproportionate amount of media coverage. I guess it's just a bit backward looking. Lazy, if I had to choose just one word.

Nothing to do with age, btw, Patti Smith is what, 3 years younger than Diana Ross and her performance are still vital and thrilling and moving. She doesn't need to mime. She is still, in her own words 'a fucking animal'

• Upvote 2

I love the legends slot but I'll just say this....If you can't sing your full set without miming then you shouldn't get the slot. It's not good for the vibe, the festival or indeed the audience both onsite or at home. Basically, as good as you were, if you can't sing your own songs live for an hour then retire gracefully, please. We don't expect perfection because as a legend you'll be getting on in years, but if you can't even be bothered to try then don't put us through it because it's fake.

15 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Sorry, been at work all day, so, off the top of my head, I was in the field for Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, Paul Simon, ELO, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. Not seen one since then.

And don't get me wrong, I love a lot of Dolly's music, and I'm absolutely in awe of what she's done and her body of work and the charitable stuff and all of it. But I found that performance really pretty poor. And pointless. 

I don't really understand it, I know that doesn't matter a fuck whether I do or not, but yeah, it's a big part of the artists budget and it gets a disproportionate amount of media coverage. I guess it's just a bit backward looking. Lazy, if I had to choose just one word.

Nothing to do with age, btw, Patti Smith is what, 3 years younger than Diana Ross and her performance are still vital and thrilling and moving. She doesn't need to mime. She is still, in her own words 'a fucking animal'

You've certainly seen a good sample of them then and you do make a reasoned and well thought out response.  I'm oblivious to the budget aspect, so take your word for it.  However as others have said that does seem to help the festival coverage, reputation and popularity - so I'd suggest that in most cases they earn their crust.  I've seen tons of people moaning on the official FB page when they put the full line up out - boring gits who clearly don't have tickets banging on that they hardly recognise anyone, so personally think it's great that the festival mix it up by making a modest concession to getting some big headlines with established artists.

Did also see Patti last time, she was indeed great - but sadly she wouldn't get the same headlines or crowds.

• Like 1