Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

5 minutes ago, Cuboid said:

what's the problem with 'glamping'? It's largely there for the benefit of people on coaches and thursday arrivals. We only use tipi's / worthy view as there's zero option to camp by the time we get there. There's not this class association that so many people wrongly assume there is. 

As I said before, " I suppose the pre-erected Worthy View covers that though, and I'm not sure that's the same as the 'glamping' I kind of mean that is offered by non-GFL third parties. "

I think there is an important distinction here between accessible, pre-erected and glamping. I have no issues at all with the first, am wary of the second moving into regular campsites within the festival 'wall', and the third seems like it exists to satisfy a more narcisssitic need.

Just now, stuie said:

Wow. After reading this thread, I’m wondering why you all want to go so bad every year and chat about it 365.

Miserable gits 😂😂

mate, I go to football virtually every weekend but still find plenty to moan about at that (and I'm not just talking about matters on the pitch! 😄

1 hour ago, whitehorses said:

Rename John Peel 

Now this is a spicy take! Would you like a return to something unambiguous like new new bands bands tent...tent?

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

Trolleys should be banned and people only allowed to take on site what they can manage in one trip from means of transport onto site.

I've had this rule self imposed since I started going. Recommend to anyone - yes you can do it, it's just a bit hard at times

1 hour ago, FrancisH said:

The 'Growler' was not good.

True but we still liked it

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

As I said before, " I suppose the pre-erected Worthy View covers that though, and I'm not sure that's the same as the 'glamping' I kind of mean that is offered by non-GFL third parties. "

I think there is an important distinction here between accessible, pre-erected and glamping. I have no issues at all with the first, am wary of the second moving into regular campsites within the festival 'wall', and the third seems like it exists to satisfy a more narcisssitic need.

I don't think we are too far off that happening.

10 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

That's a load of rubbish, plenty of space on the west side of the site.

For four / five tents in our group? The closest you'll get is baileys against the fence. Why should glamping options like tipi's not be there for those not prepared to queue on Wednesday. Was never like this pre 2009. 

I think there's at least two different things that people are talking about when they say 'glamping' and it's worth distinguishing them. 

The pre-erected sites run by the festival really aren't glamping at all. You get a tent and access to a shower block. You still sleep on the floor. It's not luxurious but it is convenient. It's worth remembering as well that Michael Eavis has said he'd quite like to be able to run all camping like that. The tents are hardy, they get repaired between festivals, they're reused constantly. Convenience to the people using them aside it's a much better option than cheap nylon tents that depend on plastic accessories, even cheap tents that get resused several time. 

The real glamping, with the inflatable matrresses and proper bedding, with private shower cubicles, with helicopters onto site, with gourmet breakfasts included. The ones that are equivalent to most hotels, they're the issue. These are the ones that are beyond the realms of possibility for almost all attendees and that cater to a crowd that definitely wouldn't come anyway. 

So, my unpopular opinion is that we need better words for things. 

2 minutes ago, Cuboid said:

For four / five tents in our group? The closest you'll get is baileys against the fence. Why should glamping options like tipi's not be there for those not prepared to queue on Wednesday. Was never like this pre 2009. 

There's plenty of fields on the west side that can accom people arriving thurs evening/fri am.

5 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

I’m reading all these as though they were written by people gurning from grinning so hard with their tongues firmly in the side of cheeks! And yet others are reading them absolutely furiously. I love the internet. 🥰

Exactly this! Lots of tongue in cheek comments! It’s a good laugh though this thread!

5 minutes ago, Ingobernable said:

The pre-erected sites run by the festival really aren't glamping at all. You get a tent and access to a shower block. You still sleep on the floor. It's not luxurious but it is convenient. It's worth remembering as well that Michael Eavis has said he'd quite like to be able to run all camping like that. The tents are hardy, they get repaired between festivals, they're reused constantly. Convenience to the people using them aside it's a much better option than cheap nylon tents that depend on plastic accessories, even cheap tents that get resused several time. 

When did he say that?

I think it would defiantly start to put people off if he or Emily pushed that as the prices they charge for WV/Sticklinch are very eye watering.

5 minutes ago, Ingobernable said:

The real glamping, with the inflatable matrresses and proper bedding, with private shower cubicles, with helicopters onto site, with gourmet breakfasts included. The ones that are equivalent to most hotels, they're the issue. These are the ones that are beyond the realms of possibility for almost all attendees and that cater to a crowd that definitely wouldn't come anyway. 

Realistically how many people out of the 205k on site are using these? In almost 20 years of going I've never knowingly come across anyone who does this.

3 minutes ago, Ingobernable said:

I think there's at least two different things that people are talking about when they say 'glamping' and it's worth distinguishing them. 

So, my unpopular opinion is that we need better words for things. 

The issue is the proper glamping sites are all run independently of Glastonbury and located on land not owned by Glastonbury. There is nothing anyone can do about it, so I don’t think it’s worth anyones time getting wound up about it.

People are entitled to do what they want with their land as long as it’s legal, for Glastonbury to exist it’s also important that this land isn’t developed, so the people who own this land are limited with what they can actuality do with it, other than cashing in on the festival for the weekend it’s on.

Not everyone is a Glastonbury super fan, and it stands to reason if you have a piece of land near Glastonbury that you can monetise then you’re going to monetise it.

I’m not entirely sure how you can stop people doing it, so I personally don’t get wound up by it.

2 minutes ago, Cuboid said:

For four / five tents in our group? The closest you'll get is baileys against the fence.

It's nowhere near as extreme as that.

Here's an overhead of Lime Kiln, taken on the Friday in 2019:

image.png.5161409cc2abf192970928c62df51579.png

You could set up just about as many tents as someone realistically wanted there, within 5 minutes walk from JP/Woods and conservatively 10 minutes to the Pyramid/Silver Hayes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ingobernable said:

You get a tent and access to a shower block. You still sleep on the floor. It's not luxurious but it is convenient. It's worth remembering as well that Michael Eavis has said he'd quite like to be able to run all camping like that. The tents are hardy, they get repaired between festivals, they're reused constantly. Convenience to the people using them aside it's a much better option than cheap nylon tents that depend on plastic accessories, even cheap tents that get resused several time. 

I wonder if they have 'run the numbers' so to speak to see if the could actually do the entire site like that? I wouldn't be in favour for many many reasons but it would be interesting to see if it is technically possible to host everyone in this way.

Agree with your distinction entirely. I don't like the idea of having to leave site to get back to the ranch and like the choice of where we go (even if we go to the same place every year) but on the other hand I really really hate carrying the tent weight and dismantling it on Monday morning. It's a price we pay!

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Though the Campervan Fields are closer to glamping than Worthy View is.

Yes, aside from more recently walking through CV East with those expensive campervans with extending sides, I vividly remember a red double decker bus from 15 to 20 years ago where they had a full sized jacuzzi on the lower deck.😊

There's a far greater level of luxury achievable in CV than WV or Sticklinch. 

The Glastonbury you actually have is always worse than the Glastonbury you think you will have or the Glastonbury you remember you had. Anticipation is sky high before and memory filters out all the shit bits afterwards. No-one ever has as good a Glastonbury as they expect or remember.

Like summers when you were a kid.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, stuie said:

Wow. After reading this thread, I’m wondering why you all want to go so bad every year and chat about it 365.

Miserable gits 😂😂

Hello. We are British (most of us). We whinge about things we love. Welcome! 😆😉

Also, nothing here is serious or deal-breaking.

Just now, Quark said:

The Glastonbury you actually have is always worse than the Glastonbury you think you will have or the Glastonbury you remember you had. Anticipation is sky high before and memory filters out all the shit bits afterwards. No-one ever has as good a Glastonbury as they expect or remember.

Like summers when you were a kid.

True apart from 2017 for me that Glastonbury had magic fairy dust on for me.  Every choice I made was right, the weather was perfect. It was the Glastonbury of dreams. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, incident said:

It's nowhere near as extreme as that.

Here's an overhead of Lime Kiln, taken on the Friday in 2019:

image.png.5161409cc2abf192970928c62df51579.png

You could set up just about as many tents as someone realistically wanted there, within 5 minutes walk from JP/Woods and conservatively 10 minutes to the Pyramid/Silver Hayes.

i stand corrected. cant argue with that. wrong end of festival for us as love the park but nonetheless i appreciate the idea. might rethink WV. thanks!

Just now, gigpusher said:

True apart from 2017 for me that Glastonbury had magic fairy dust on for me.  Every choice I made was right, the weather was perfect. It was the Glastonbury of dreams. 

I'm sticking with the memory filter part 😉