Area Announcements / Activity

JoeyT

6 minutes ago, David_303 said:

I heard a rumour absolutely ages ago that they were going to have another biggish stage to rival the size of the Park stage. Whether or not this happens I've no clue - but I heard it from two different people who do music for a living. It may be a complete lark. 

If I was in charge, that's what I'd put into Silver Hayes.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

it used to have much bigger tents .... im sure dance east and west had decent capacities ...maybe nothing like 20k though ..... thats bigger than JP 

East / West weren't overly big  Nothing like the main tent at the old Tribal Gathering events, that was a beast. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

it used to have much bigger tents .... im sure dance east and west had decent capacities ...maybe nothing like 20k though ..... thats bigger than JP 

Dance east and west was better than Silver Hayes I think and they were only 2 standard tents, so a lot as could def be done to improve the area. I remember fat boy slim and Carl cox b2b for 6 hours in dance east in 2011, the atmosphere was amazing. One of the best nights I’ve had at the festival. 

• Upvote 2

The old dance tent was massive before they decided to split it up to east and west.

I’d probably prefer a large outdoor stage there though. Provided the sound from the Other wouldn’t cause issues.

Whatever they do could cause more issues in the SE corner if it doesn’t go on late though.

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Dance east and west was better than Silver Hayes I think and they were only 2 standard tents, so a lot as could def be done to improve the area. I remember fat boy slim and Carl cox b2b for 6 hours in dance east in 2011, the atmosphere was amazing. One of the best nights I’ve had at the festival. 

Was a great night

1 minute ago, t0paz said:

The old dance tent was massive before they decided to split it up to east and west.

I’d probably prefer a large outdoor stage there though. Provided the sound from the Other wouldn’t cause issues.

Whatever they do could cause more issues in the SE corner if it doesn’t go on late though.

True. They would need something that went on until at least 2

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I used to love the old Dance East and Dance West tents they used to have there in 2005, etc, they had a real mixture of indie/new bands and then dance acts there late on during the day, from memory.  I suppose that all changed when the Park took over those type of bands in 2007/2008, and later Williams Green, but that left a void in that area, so it became much more dance orientated. The area never really found its identity in my opinion after that, and hasnt since. I know they have added Blues, Gully, etc, but it still seems a random collection of smaller venues to me. Probably need to put something right in the middle where the path is, to split the area to two sides, even if its bars/food outlet just to make it feel less unwelcoming/cavernous

13 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I used to love the old Dance East and Dance West tents they used to have there in 2005, etc, they had a real mixture of indie/new bands and then dance acts there late on during the day, from memory.  I suppose that all changed when the Park took over those type of bands in 2007/2008, and later Williams Green, but that left a void in that area, so it became much more dance orientated. The area never really found its identity in my opinion after that, and hasnt since. I know they have added Blues, Gully, etc, but it still seems a random collection of smaller venues to me. Probably need to put something right in the middle where the path is, to split the area to two sides, even if its bars/food outlet just to make it feel less unwelcoming/cavernous

I think in the last few festivals it's been the home to quite a bit of cool Grime stuff alongside a random bit of dance. But never enough to establish an identity for itself in that regard.

If it was me I'd focus on getting lots of upcoming Jungle/ Reggae/ Grime/ Hip Hop/ Dancehall/ Drill/ Trap/ Afroswing etc. It would undoubtedly give a platform to absolutely loads of upcoming British performers and give a legacy at the festival to the rise of the likes of Stomzy, Dizzie, and Dave (who will surely headline in the next few years). I think there's a way of doing it without taking away from West Holts/ other areas. 

Edited by kemosabe
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think in the last few festivals it's been the home to quite a bit of cool Grime stuff alongside a random bit of dance. But never enough to establish an identity for itself in that regard.

If it was me I'd focus on getting lots of upcoming Jungle/ Reggae/ Grime/ Hip Hop/ Dancehall/ Drill/ Trap/ Afroswing etc. It would undoubtedly give a platform to absolutely loads of upcoming British performers and give a legacy at the festival to the rise of the likes of Stomzy, Dizzie, and Dave (who will surely headline in the next few years). I think there's a way of doing it without taking away from West Holts/ other areas. 

That sounds like a great idea. I will avoid it like the plague mind, being the wrong side of 50 now, but anything that gives the area its unique identity/vibe will be great. Its one of the biggest open areas on the entire site, it just need to be utilised properly

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

That sounds like a great idea. I will avoid it like the plague mind, being the wrong side of 50 now, but anything that gives the area its unique identity/vibe will be great. Its one of the biggest open areas on the entire site, it just need to be utilised properly

Hopefully this new team will have some ideas … it’s been run by the same person for quite a significant time now … so definately in need of some change … weren’t they building a new tent for the 2019 festival that wasn’t quite ready in time ? I’m sure it will be now … 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Hopefully this new team will have some ideas … it’s been run by the same person for quite a significant time now … so definately in need of some change … weren’t they building a new tent for the 2019 festival that wasn’t quite ready in time ? I’m sure it will be now … 

Their theming and staging at their Bristol festivals is great. 

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Ah, found the 2002 map here http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/flyers/glastonbury/0025.html

It's "the experience"?!

I can't get over how tiny the site was.  I guess the naughty corner was lost vagueness where "the ballroom" is marked?

Even back at my first in 2008 it was significantly smaller than now!  Though by then at least they'd added Park Stage, Trash City, and Paines/Dairy camping 

3 hours ago, Simsy said:

Ah, found the 2002 map here http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/flyers/glastonbury/0025.html

It's "the experience"?!

Hang on, did it used to be possible to camp in The Park?? But it's all slopy.  Have I failed to read the map?  I never went up that way in the 6 festivals (4 after 2002) I went to before 2007.

Do any other old timers remember? Does anyone have any photos of the area! I'm trying to imagine The Park all full of campers and my mind is blown!

26 minutes ago, siblin said:

I can't get over how tiny the site was.  I guess the naughty corner was lost vagueness where "the ballroom" is marked?

Even back at my first in 2008 it was significantly smaller than now!  Though by then at least they'd added Park Stage, Trash City, and Paines/Dairy camping 

Considering how busy it got before the super fence its hard to imagine how insanely cramped it would have been.

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hang on, did it used to be possible to camp in The Park?? But it's all slopy.  Have I failed to read the map?  I never went up that way in the 6 festivals (4 after 2002) I went to before 2007.

Do any other old timers remember? Does anyone have any photos of the area! I'm trying to imagine The Park all full of campers and my mind is blown!

Park stage was already there by the time i went there the first time in 2008, but arcadia wasn't and I camped where that is now a couple of times and there certainly was a slope.  Top of park is similar to pennards which is still slopey, as is south park.

Plenty of places to camp in glasto if you want to wake up either with a headrush or already partially upright!

My main concern with switching Silver Hayes to instead have a big outdoor stage is that it would mean even more pressure on the SE corner at night. Always felt that having some late night music on that side of the site was handy. We always camp on the SH side of Oxlyers and its a good area to have on your doorstep, although often a bit of a let down unless you find something really good.