2023 legend slot

ProperTea

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is this the first time they’ve technically rebooked an act for the legends? Booked the front man solo (who plays quite a few of their records) and then the full band a few years later?

No - Ray Davies headlined the Acoustic Stage in 2009 (as a duo with another guitarist), and then did the Legends Slot with a full band the following year (and had played several times before those, both solo and with The Kinks). Tom Jones has played the Sunday Afternoon on the Pyramid twice, albeit the first is arguably before the "Legends Slot" was a thing. Pretty sure there's been other repeats although those are the two that come straight to mind.

Edited by incident

Just now, incident said:

No - Ray Davies headlined the Acoustic Stage in 2009 (as a duo with another guitarist), and then did the Legends Slot with a full band the following year. Tom Jones has played the Sunday Afternoon on the Pyramid twice, albeit the first is arguably before the "Legends Slot" was a thing. Pretty sure there's been other repeats although those are the two that come straight to mind.

the first was the first legend slot.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Others would claim that it was born with Johnny Cash, a couple years later, hence my phrasing it like that.

But really - it doesn't matter either way.

it was referred to as the legends slot, i remember hearing about some geezer who was on the barrier all day hoping it was prince, and of a group who were hoping it was u2.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

it was referred to as the legends slot, i remember hearing about some geezer who was on the barrier all day hoping it was prince, and of a group who were hoping it was u2.

All these years later I can still imagine their disappointment when instead of Prince they got TJ 😂

mind you, based on when U2 played, I think I’d have taken the Green Green Grass of Home option

I've never heard of them before, but when I asked my parents they seemed to get very excited by it - given them a listen, and recognise a couple of tunes. Seems like a decent enough booking for sure, and it isn't like they (my parents/their generation) know who acts like Doja Cat are. Fair play. Do we reckon they'll draw a big crowd? I am honestly clueless with them

2 minutes ago, stanh said:

Do we reckon they'll draw a big crowd?

Hopefully, one of the Pyramids best functions is drawing people away from other stages.

Not sure TBH, I get the feeling that just as loads watch everything on the Pyramid because they feel they have to, loads also go to the legends slot for the same reason.

2 minutes ago, stanh said:

I've never heard of them before, but when I asked my parents they seemed to get very excited by it - given them a listen, and recognise a couple of tunes. Seems like a decent enough booking for sure, and it isn't like they (my parents/their generation) know who acts like Doja Cat are. Fair play. Do we reckon they'll draw a big crowd? I am honestly clueless with them

Obviously big is a relative thing.

Big compared to Dolly/Lionel/Kylie/Diana? No, it'll be miles off that.

Big compared to Kenny Rogers, or whoever is playing 4pm on the Friday and Saturday? Probably.

My guess is broadly in the region of what ELO got, with it also being slightly dependant on the weather.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Hopefully, one of the Pyramids best functions is drawing people away from other stages.

Not sure TBH, I get the feeling that just as loads watch everything on the Pyramid because they feel they have to, loads also go to the legends slot for the same reason.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Obviously big is a relative thing.

Big compared to Dolly/Lionel/Kylie/Diana? No, it'll be miles off that.

Big compared to Kenny Rogers, or whoever is playing 4pm on the Friday and Saturday? Probably.

My guess is broadly in the region of what ELO got, with it also being slightly dependant on the weather.

Fairs, I'd definitely give them a shot dependant of who else is on. But so far, I like what I hear and would be interested in catching at the very least a little chunk of their set

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's no one definitive Roxy banger that *everyone* knows.  Lots of great tunes but none that are ubiquitous.  Will be the oddest security dance routine ever.

Good. Maybe they'll finally get rid of that "tradition" once and for all. Fun when it first happened, but every year since it's just come across even more forced and joyless.

The pedant in my also feels the need to point out that it's not really security, other than a few half heartedly trying to pretend they're joining in. It's people from the T&C area playing dress up and proving beyond doubt that they get too many wristbands allocated.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's no one definitive Roxy banger that *everyone* knows.  Lots of great tunes but none that are ubiquitous.  Will be the oddest security dance routine ever.

WTF is this security dance routine?

I've never been to a legends slot.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Good. Maybe they'll finally get rid of that "tradition" once and for all. Fun when it first happened, but every year since it's just come across even more forced and joyless.

The pedant in my also feels the need to point out that it's not really security, other than a few half heartedly trying to pretend they're joining in. It's people from the T&C area playing dress up and proving beyond doubt that they get too many wristbands allocated.

Never been, but agree it's had it's day. Don't know about the reaction of the crowd feeling forced, but having to have a "legend" on a Sunday afternoon definitely feels forced and more and more desperate as the years go by.