2023 legend slot

ProperTea

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nor do I. I think it should be higher if anything. Wasn't the point I was making,

No - it's a commercial, not a charity event and bands will do it or not based on commercials - whether that's the actual fee or the publicity that can generate sales/streams down the line.

My point is acts aren't doing it for charity, and acts not doing it doesn't mean they hate charity. 

I mean, you sort of hit the nail on the head with the figures yourself. Half a million is less than the "pay cut" a headliner takes? Okay. So three headliners are taking a "pay cut" of £1.5 million collectively at least. The festival charitable donation is normally around £1 million.

So if they wanted to help a charity, the three headliners could just play their own gigs and donate the difference between what they normally get and what Glastonbury pays them, and the charity would be better off.

If that was the point you were making then why were you repeatedly making out as if Eavis is coining it in at the expense of the acts and charities?

I agree that the (limited, relative to the size of the event) charitable aspect in terms of donations is probably not much of a consideration for many performers. But what I expect they do consider when thinking about the reduced fee is that it’s not a profit-driven venture in the traditional sense either. Nobody would be wasting their time playing and just covering their costs (or worse) if they thought that everything they’d usually make at an equivalent-sized gig was going into someone else’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

This!

Iam only going with bon jovi because Phil Clifton said on his radio show on 26th November at 15.15 that Bon Jovi were heavily tipped for Glastonbury 2023 . 

I have no idea if hes full of shit 🤣

7 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I'm actually laughing out loud at the anti climax. 🤣 

How often do artists say 'watch this space' and not have the eventual announcement be related to selling their own stuff, either and album or gigs - it was always going to be an anti-climax 🙂  Spice Girls would be amazing there too - don't think enough of them want to do it though

5 minutes ago, p.pete said:

How often do artists say 'watch this space' and not have the eventual announcement be related to selling their own stuff, either and album or gigs - it was always going to be an anti-climax 🙂  Spice Girls would be amazing there too - don't think enough of them want to do it though

Could’ve easily been her announcing something like BST, or her own UK dates, though, which was the whole point. I don’t think many people expected a direct Glasto announcement, other than maybe Zoe Ball.

Plus of course the only confirmed act did exactly what you’re saying acts don’t do anyway. 

Edited by Jose Pose

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

Could’ve easily been her announcing something like BST, or her own UK dates, though, which was the whole point. I don’t think many people expected a direct Glasto announcement, other than maybe Zoe Ball.

That's fair - I guess them all being US dates right on top of the festival dates was the worst possible announcement re killing chances.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Plus of course the only confirmed act did exactly what you’re saying acts don’t do anyway. 

Elton did a 'watch this space' message prior to a confirmation message?  Hadn't realised this - thought the festival put a picture of a rocket onto a webcam or something like that...  'Might' make more sense for a headliner to do it, as it's slightly more significant than the teatime slot - but you know best 😉 

3 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Elton did a 'watch this space' message prior to a confirmation message?  Hadn't realised this - thought the festival put a picture of a rocket onto a webcam or something like that...  'Might' make more sense for a headliner to do it, as it's slightly more significant than the teatime slot - but you know best 😉 

He did this on his insta story, not sure about anywhere else:

94609169-5305-488A-809C-148E5B485FAD.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

He did this on his insta story, not sure about anywhere else:

See - I knew you knew best - I forgot about that one 😄 

<edit> Guess I'd initially posted to say how often do artist have a 'watch this space' message and it not be related to selling something for themselves - and this gives the answer of: at least once

Edited by p.pete
  • Upvote 1