2023 legend slot

ProperTea

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Prepare to be disappointed if I were you, Neil...

yeah, itll be pop crap, cos everyone seems to want pop crap, where have your standards gone people???????

20 minutes ago, Neil said:

yeah, itll be pop crap, cos everyone seems to want pop crap, where have your standards gone people???????

It’s a Sunday afternoon slot, that’s just the nature of it. There is virtually no difference between Kylie and Robbie, so if it’s him it’s will just be a continuation of what it already is. Let’s face it, it was never Roxy Music, but it didn’t need to be, there is plenty of room for them elsewhere at Glastonbury, and there is plenty of room for 75 minutes of ‘pop crap’ like Kylie. There was no need to try and reinvent the slot to make it fit duff information, it is what it is, the legend/Sunday teatime slot.

Edited by Jose Pose

Roxy Music would've perfect for the slot Crowded House played on the Friday this year. RM never really seemed to fit the legends slot for me.

I'm not into Duran Duran or Robbie, so i'm happy to see the crowds pulled away from elsewhere and catch the alternative act this year. I woud've liked to see Fontaines this year but couldn't miss an opportunity to see DR no matter how dimished her performance is these days.

Roxy Music did always seem like an odd choice and I do wonder if they're playing elsewhere. West Holts headliner like Bryan Ferry? Maybe they were only ever on standby for the slot and it has 'fallen through' by virtue of Glastonbury securing their first choice act, and they therefore revert to West Holts headline or 3rd down Pyramid perhaps. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What are Duran Duran but the Roxy Music of the 1980s?

Couldn't name a Roxy Music song off the top of my head, but could name at least 5-6 stone cold bangers from Duran Duran with ease. Speaking as a 33 year old without the same knowledge of music as everyone else here, seems silly to compare the two. Duran Duran clearly have much more cut through with the younger generation.

Roxy Music aren't gonna be headlining Hyde Park anytime soon. 

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

The only way it’s remotely true is if they were approached and the band themselves said they wanted the legend slot or it’s nothing. No way they were ever booked as the legends by Glastonbury, they just don’t fit the slot in any way, anymore that Crowded House this year would’ve.

Crowded House would have been a great legends booking IMO.  Sing along pop classics all the way through.  Isn't that what seems to be legends fodder?

I'll be a bit irritated if it's Robbie considering I'm going to IOW the week beforehand and bar Pulp and Blondie, for me the line-up is a little underwhelming/a lot of stuff I've seen before. However, I'm going with someone else so we can watch Robbie there and that'll free me up to go and watch something else during the Legends Slot.

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Crowded House would have been a great legends booking IMO.  Sing along pop classics all the way through.  Isn't that what seems to be legends fodder?

They’re not in the same league or remotely comparable to Dolly/Lionel/Kyle/Diana Ross, who all perfectly fit the legend slot in its current iteration.