2023 legend slot

ProperTea

On 10/23/2022 at 3:18 AM, gfa said:

Even then 400k is absurd. Very few could sell that in London which has a far larger population than both irelands together - let alone just main Ireland (not sure how much he was charging)

Hahahaha I am burst at “main Ireland”. I’ve heard the north and the south be called a million different things in my life but that’s a first lmao 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Dunno about Roxy for the legends slot. Late night slot would suit them better. Should the legends slot not be cheesy pop?

That's what we've been accustomed to, but maybe there's only so many cheesy pop acts they can get matching the same quality of recent festivals.

6 minutes ago, ericlered said:

They only moved onto cheesy pop shite when they couldn't get proper legends like Johhny Cash anymore.

Not really. There's always been a mix of more nostalgic fun stuff (Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Neil Diamond) and more serious Mojo-rock (Paul Simon, Ray Davies, ELO).

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not really. There's always been a mix of more nostalgic fun stuff (Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Neil Diamond) and more serious Mojo-rock (Paul Simon, Ray Davies, ELO).

Aye true that. This reminds me that I missed James Brown whenh he did it, saw Television in the "new bands" tent instead. Good choice... I think.

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Acoustic Stage headliner at best, when compared to the calibre of recent acts in the usual Pyramid slot

While I wouldn't go that far, it'll be very different from the last three.

But it will give the 'In what world is Kylie a legend, they should give it to a real legend like Old Papa Realmusic' demographic a moment in the sun.

Legends like Barry Gibb, ELO and probs Roxy Music are booked because they are WHO MICHAEL WANTS ....speak to anyone in the local vicinity of Glasto and they'll tell you that he isn't concerned with convention or metrics and just wants to book the acts that he wants to book...and doesn't like anyone who tells him why he can't do something....This is a guy after all who essentially tore up the rule book as he went along and credit to him for the amazing achievement that Glasto has become... He's also in his 80s... so there'll be an element of uncertainty as to how many Glastonburys he has left...

14 minutes ago, RaphPH said:

Legends like Barry Gibb, ELO and probs Roxy Music are booked because they are WHO MICHAEL WANTS ....speak to anyone in the local vicinity of Glasto and they'll tell you that he isn't concerned with convention or metrics and just wants to book the acts that he wants to book...and doesn't like anyone who tells him why he can't do something....This is a guy after all who essentially tore up the rule book as he went along and credit to him for the amazing achievement that Glasto has become... He's also in his 80s... so there'll be an element of uncertainty as to how many Glastonburys he has left...

Didn't they play the 3 largest arenas in the country too? 

And they seemed to go down well

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/oct/11/roxy-music-review-arch-art-rockers-peacock-their-peerless-anthems

I'm sure there have been some not that long ago which didn't have such a following - also the concept of needing to be cheesy or a novelty is far from universal. 

Not that it's my preference or there shouldn't be others, but there are certainly worse. 

6 hours ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Sting's knocking about in the UK around Glasto. Wouldn't mind seeing him. he'd have to play loads of police though and bring Mark Knopfler out to do money for nothing 

Now that would be something.. MK's  first time on Glastonbury. He never was there with Dire Straits...

9 hours ago, RaphPH said:

Doubt Michael has booked any act in years.