Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

21 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

I wasn't there, but did anyone see the hilarious state of Def Leppard/Motley Crue's Wembley show? I saw a TikTok from someone there, and I'm not being overdramatic to say that it looked as if it sold ~10,000 tickets max. The standing section must have been 5% full.

If anyone on here went, I'd bloody love to hear about it.

It was seats on the floor rather than standing. Not many though, likely they planned on opening up the second half of the field due to demand that never came. I was at the Brammal Lane show, which I think just sold short of a sell out. Standing on the field at that one, and it was nicely full. But the wembley set up was designed to sell out, just so they could say they'd done it. Looked so grim.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

saw the Who backed by an orchestra in Edinburgh castle on Saturday.  Really good gig, Roger's voice is still sounding superb.

I was only aware of that due to Ian Rankin's complainy tweets, but that looked like a lovely little set up.

Good stuff from Mozzer. 

Morrissey: Jet2holidays must cut ties to marine parks over orcas and dolphins Former Smiths frontman criticises holiday firm for selling tickets for Tenerife zoo that offers animal shows

"Day in and day out, these animals can do little else but swim in endless circles. They’re even forced to perform demeaning tricks in exchange for food. Anyone who thinks that’s entertainment needs to get their head checked."

Has a similar convo with my boss recently about going on a work night out at the greyhound track.

Went to see John Grant and Richard Hawley doing the songs of Patsy Cline as part of Manchester International Festival. Didn’t really know much Patsy Cline so wasn’t really sure what to expect but it was a lovely gig. John’s voice was beautiful and worked incredibly well with the songs. Richard Hawley and his whole band played well. John Grant was engaging as he always is with the audience and there was a wonderful sign language interpreter who was fascinating to watch. 

IMG_4023.jpeg

IMG_4019.jpeg

IMG_4020.jpeg

IMG_4029.jpeg

Belle & Sebastian at the Roundhouse. Fantastic gig. Stuart Murdoch has, over the last decade turned into one of the great frontmen, full of charisma and swagger  -  a continuation of the process that we saw at that magic late afternoon Glastonbury Other stage set a few years back. Was really unsure about going to this, trip up to London on a Monday night etc, but left the gig buzzing and grinning from ear to ear. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Gutted to miss this tour.  Couldn't make the re-arranged date (though seeing Lana was some compensation).  One of my favourite bands and not seen them for 5 or 6 years...

Funny band. Ask me to name my favourite bands and they'd never be at the forefront of my mind, but I've got say, I dunno 9 or 10 records and always think they're great when I listen/ see them.  

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Belle & Sebastian at the Roundhouse. Fantastic gig. Stuart Murdoch has, over the last decade turned into one of the great frontmen, full of charisma and swagger  -  a continuation of the process that we saw at that magic late afternoon Glastonbury Other stage set a few years back. Was really unsure about going to this, trip up to London on a Monday night etc, but left the gig buzzing and grinning from ear to ear. 

Still one of my favourite ever Glastonbury shows, and I’m still gutted that I made it over the barrier but got stopped from going on stage by security as they were told to only allow a dozen or so 😞

On 7/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, JayDiesel said:

I wasn't there, but did anyone see the hilarious state of Def Leppard/Motley Crue's Wembley show? I saw a TikTok from someone there, and I'm not being overdramatic to say that it looked as if it sold ~10,000 tickets max. The standing section must have been 5% full.

If anyone on here went, I'd bloody love to hear about it.

Yikes

On 7/18/2023 at 10:06 AM, Mardy said:

Yep they are a lovely band and always great fun live.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:56 PM, Drinky said:

Yikes

That's crazy. Must be actually pretty humiliating for the band as well. Much better to be in a smaller venue and have it full and a great atmosphere. I bet it was pretty echoey with such a sparse crowd as well.

Motley Crue played at Camden Underworld that week, one of those surprise pop-up shows - i think thats the only way id be even slightly interested in seeing them to be honest. They've a couple of ok tunes, but are all pretty much unable to play them to a decent standard (John5 excepted), not even nostalgia gets you through that sort of issue

15 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Doesn’t look like it… what a weird experience for those at the back.

I nabbed some free tickets to a Bryan Adams arena gig last year. He had a "premium" standing section at the front of the floor and seats behind it that were cheaper.

The standing section was very sparsely populated, after one song he just said that security should let anyone in who wanted to be in there. It quickly filled up and the atmosphere went up a notch. 

Probably not so easy at a stadium gig but it would surely be better than having all those gaps.