Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

James orchestra tour in Brum last night, absolutely brilliant. Proper reworking of random bits of back catalog, not just playing the songs as usual but with brass and strings. Some around us were baffled at first but most appreciated it for what it was by the end!

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 9:43 AM, DeanoL said:

James orchestra tour in Brum last night, absolutely brilliant. Proper reworking of random bits of back catalog, not just playing the songs as usual but with brass and strings. Some around us were baffled at first but most appreciated it for what it was by the end!

Off to see them in Manchester tomorrow, can't wait!

Went to the Eurovision gig in Liverpool last night. Only £2 for a ticket.

Went to see Frankie Goes To Hollywood reform. They played one song !!

Also on a bit of Cream Classical, Lightning Seeds and The Real Thing.

A few others as well including Atomic Kitten.

Frankie Say £8 a pint and some crowd control issues including a crush and many people being passed over the barrier at the back to escape. A few people very distressed. Not good at all. Never seen such a bizarre set up for a strage with 20,000 people and about 30 meters space in front of the stage. 

Oh well I got to see Frankie, something I thought I would never see. 

4 hours ago, coma girl said:

Saw The Mary Wallopers at the Barras last night, I didn't know much of their music but they put on a fantastic show and has the place bouncing.

IMG20230507212711.jpg

Will take that as a recommendation for Neighbourhood Weekender then! They're on early the Saturday and it's wide open for me at that time as I don't know many that early on.

49 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Went to the Eurovision gig in Liverpool last night. Only £2 for a ticket.

Went to see Frankie Goes To Hollywood reform. They played one song !!

Also on a bit of Cream Classical, Lightning Seeds and The Real Thing.

A few others as well including Atomic Kitten.

Frankie Say £8 a pint and some crowd control issues including a crush and many people being passed over the barrier at the back to escape. A few people very distressed. Not good at all. Never seen such a bizarre set up for a strage with 20,000 people and about 30 meters space in front of the stage. 

Oh well I got to see Frankie, something I thought I would never see. 

Nice to see the council have learned from their mistakes of putting gigs on in and around St George's Hall...

I went to the Hope and Glory festival in 2017, which was honestly comedic in how inept it all was. I actually had a great time but it was so badly organised and such an unsuitable venue.

Seeing the Lightning Seeds at the Cavern tomorrow. This'll be my 5th gig this year and my 3rd in that venue (Circa Waves and DMA's were the others), which is mad as I'd never set foot in it before February!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I went to multi venue Reading based festival "Are you listening" this weekend. Enjoyed Jeffrey Lewis, Sophie Jamieson, Prima Queen, Panic Shack and Butch Kassidy. Missed out on Cowboyy and HolySMS who'd I would have liked to see but timings didn't lineup

Prima Queen were fantastic werent they! Looking forward to catching them at glasto in full band. Went to see DEADLETTER in Purple Turtle afterwards. Fantastic, despite the sound guy accidentally playing Razorlight on low volume through their first two tracks. Will be watching again in Leftfield. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Will take that as a recommendation for Neighbourhood Weekender then! They're on early the Saturday and it's wide open for me at that time as I don't know many that early on.

Nice to see the council have learned from their mistakes of putting gigs on in and around St George's Hall...

I went to the Hope and Glory festival in 2017, which was honestly comedic in how inept it all was. I actually had a great time but it was so badly organised and such an unsuitable venue.

Seeing the Lightning Seeds at the Cavern tomorrow. This'll be my 5th gig this year and my 3rd in that venue (Circa Waves and DMA's were the others), which is mad as I'd never set foot in it before February!!

We went to that Hope and Glory Shambles. An absolute train wreck of a day and abiding memory of overflowing urinals seeping into the below ground floor space in the Hall!

At least there was a ticket refund 

Saw Bentley Rhythm Ace and Neds Atomic Dusbin on Friday in Brum. Yes, you read right, B.R.A played live in 2023, and they were blinding 😄

All three (Fuzz, Richard March and James from EMF) looked like they were having the time of their lives, Neds were amazing, but they are always amazing 🙂

Bought a BRA tshirt too, who knows when they'll tour again 🙂

image.thumb.png.d3f5410d9797dc47311ed90e5ba90127.png

image.thumb.png.388130d3a1c91fef9ccea22b45dfe098.png

2 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Saw Bentley Rhythm Ace and Neds Atomic Dusbin on Friday in Brum. Yes, you read right, B.R.A played live in 2023, and they were blinding 😄

All three (Fuzz, Richard March and James from EMF) looked like they were having the time of their lives, Neds were amazing, but they are always amazing 🙂

Bought a BRA tshirt too, who knows when they'll tour again 🙂

image.thumb.png.d3f5410d9797dc47311ed90e5ba90127.png

image.thumb.png.388130d3a1c91fef9ccea22b45dfe098.png

Saw the Neds at BDs last year and they were immense. Also had my favourite line of the weekend from John "We're here! All five of us! None of us are dead!"

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Ah I didn't go in the end, logistics. Did you catch Lavelle? 

I did indeed, excellent as ever! Jodie Harsh and Alexis were the standouts for me though, such an amazing vibe. I was gutted to be missing Frankie, but think I made the right choice now. 

10 hours ago, 2019 said:

I'm at Jai Paul in London tonight, I'll let you know.

Food for thought, and I'd like to see him again for sure. In a subterranean venue it was like he was trying to mine a new music genre, and came very close. Prince and probably Jamiroquai inspired funk. Loved the Gary Newman/Cars cover.

Supported by Fabiano Palladino.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, coma girl said:

Saw The Mary Wallopers at the Barras last night, I didn't know much of their music but they put on a fantastic show and has the place bouncing.

IMG20230507212711.jpg

My dad and uncle were at The Ritz on Friday and were raving about them. I'm going to the Birmingham gig this Friday. I was brought up on Pogues and Dubliners gigs so can't wait for it.

Saw Black Country, New Road in Manchester tonight. Enjoyed the brand new stuff at YES last year I think it was and have been obsessed with the Live at Bush Hall recording but felt a bit underwhelmed for the first few songs tonight....then they just got better and better. The even newer songs were stunning too. What a fucking band.

8 hours ago, elgatonegrofabricwardrobe said:

My dad and uncle were at The Ritz on Friday and were raving about them. I'm going to the Birmingham gig this Friday. I was brought up on Pogues and Dubliners gigs so can't wait for it.

11 hours ago, badleg08 said:

Only hearing good things about these. 

They really were excellent. I just went along as friends were going and thought I would enjoy it as I love the Pogues, they weren't wrong!

Went to see James last night in Manchester. 

I've seen the band 50+ times over the years, but last night was probably the best James gig I can remember going to (alongside Halifax 2018, Leeds T+C 1992). Absolutely incredible performance accompanied by choir and orchestra. Blown away would be an understatement. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, sfroml said:

Went to see James last night in Manchester. 

I've seen the band 50+ times over the years, but last night was probably the best James gig I can remember going to (alongside Halifax 2018, Leeds T+C 1992). Absolutely incredible performance accompanied by choir and orchestra. Blown away would be an understatement. 

That's good news, I'm seeing them in Bath on Monday, can't wait now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franco Baresi said:

That's good news, I'm seeing them in Bath on Monday, can't wait now!

That's great to hear! Expect the unexpected regarding the set list. They played a lot of well known tracks alongside a lot of rarities 🙂