Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Saw Rozi Plain (off of This is The Kit) in Cambridge last night...

She has that Kate Stables vibe and her voice is nice... but some very unnecessary 70's electro & funk accompaniment didn't really work for me... (or Mrs BD, for whom the tickets were a gift..)

In fact by the end of the set I really resented the fella on the keyboard... (possibly harsh I know)

Back in Cambridge on Monday for Self Esteem (hopefully she has recovered from the norovirus... cancelled 2 weeks ago).. another gift for Mrs BD... Expecting a good show there. 

Levellers collective acoustic at the Lighthouse, Poole. Brilliant show, band really tight and Mark on top entertaining form. New arrangements of old songs, and the two new ones, sounding great. The sound quality at the venue was astonishingly clear and I hope the floor was sprung as it felt like it was going to collapse by the end 👍

IMG_20230310_215038_469.jpg

Edited by justanotheronethen

Napalm Death in Camden last night.

never seen or heard any of the supports, so went in with no expectations.

Can't remember what the first band were called, was actually quite enjoying them until they got all preachy halfway through, lost interest after that.

Second on were Siberian Meat Grinder - when they first came on stage my first reaction was that it was going to be pretty annoying, but i have to say by the end of their set they had won me over and enjoyed their show - got quite a few Suicidal Tendencies vibes from their style.

then it was someone called Born Dead or Drop Dead or We're Dead or something - these guys really thought a lot of themselves, the singer must have been about 60 but came off as a 16 year old who still thinks that "rising up" and overthrowing the government is a good idea in a democracy where you disagree with policy. yeah right-on bro. endless preaching to a crowd like this is a cop-out - anyone can get up on stage to this audience, say fuck the government and get a cheer. i can go along with that so long as you have the goods to back it up - unfortunately these guys were just plain shit.

Then we have the mighty Napalm Death - well, this was a bit of an odd show. firstly Shane was not there, dont know why, and their stage manager (i think?) took over bass duties for the night, fair enough he did a good job but without Shane its not really ND. secondly -Barney had broken his ankle at a gig a week or so prior, so he played the show sat in a chair in the middle of the stage with his leg propped up! maximum respect to the man for getting out there and soldiering on, but i did feel for him, he put up a good fight but he looked really tired, i'm sure he would have rather been at home laid out on the sofa.

during Nazi Punks the guys from SMG came on stage to dance about, i guess to make themselves a video or something - if they had just had a crew member at the side of the stage filming then fair enough - but every one of them was dancing about holding their phones filming themselves - it just came off as kinda pathetic and the respect i had gained for them watching their set was somewhat lost.

of course ND are as political of a band as you could get - but i've never found them to be preachy, if anything i've always taken their message to simply be to think for yourself, use your brain and don't blindly believe what you are told.

i must have seen Napalm Death i guess 40 or so times over the past 30 years - i cant recall ever seeing a bad show, and this certainly wasn't bad, just odd.

lesson learned is to stop bothering to get to shows early as the support bands will more than likely be shite. 

Been waiting since last night for someone else to drop a review in here as I didn't want to follow up a Napalm Death / Siberian Meat Grinder review with one from Self Esteem (Chalk and indeed Cheese..)

Well, Efests is a broad church..

Self Esteem in Cambridge was a really well executed show.. a bit of CATQ, a bit of The Supremes, a bit of Cher and maybe a little bit of Gaga..

Uplifting, bordering on joyous I would say...with a ton of energy from the whole band.

I believe they played JP/Woodsies last year so unlikely to see them back this year but pretty sure they would draw a very big and vocal crowd (with very few Napalm Death heads present).

17 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Been waiting since last night for someone else to drop a review in here as I didn't want to follow up a Napalm Death / Siberian Meat Grinder review with one from Self Esteem (Chalk and indeed Cheese..)

Well, Efests is a broad church..

Self Esteem in Cambridge was a really well executed show.. a bit of CATQ, a bit of The Supremes, a bit of Cher and maybe a little bit of Gaga..

Uplifting, bordering on joyous I would say...with a ton of energy from the whole band.

I believe they played JP/Woodsies last year so unlikely to see them back this year but pretty sure they would draw a very big and vocal crowd (with very few Napalm Death heads present).

who knows - maybe ND would come back and they could play alongside Self Esteem somewhere... the very reason Glastonbury is the magical place that it is! 

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Ain't it just the best? Did you do all 3 nights? 

I've been lucky to do all 3 each Weekender. Always go for the club show ticket first.
The Pub Quiz ticket was the toughest, but there was only about 50 of those. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

How was it? Despite liking her music since 2005 I've actually never got to see her in a proper gig, only a Rabbit hole secret set a few Glastonbury's ago!  

Really good. Did all her hits that I recognise, some covered and she was funny. My mum loved it ♥️

We to see Jeshi last night, I don’t normally go to many live Hip Hop shows but he smashed it. Great stage presence.

Off to Say She She tomorrow, Underworld on Sunday and Franc Moody/Porij on Wednesday so hopefully a decent week of gigs. 

Saw Self Esteem last night at O2 Academy Sheffield.  Much bigger show now with costume changes and more choreo.. loved the new song Mother, I think the other new one will grow on me..  her old music teacher was next to me on the barrier and RLT said “I can’t believe you’re here!”.. the crowd sang happy birthday to her Dad too who was at the side of the stage.. all in all a brilliant home gig.  Lovely crowd too.. 

0C99D2CB-EA95-4BF5-909C-20168BB15718.jpeg

EE36E715-C500-44F4-876F-DE7D97A7C80B.jpeg

4654239E-B84C-4CBB-B280-0279C6ACD96C.jpeg

C75BB6CC-D793-4538-8C15-17AD254BE33C.jpeg

Edited by Pipine
  • Like 3

Damien rice Manchester Albert Hall weds.

I will admit a bias as just a massive fan but Damien was sublime one of the most perfect voices I've ever heard . Strangely after such a long gap only one brand new song but he said more to come

Don't think there will be such a long break till his next tour and new music 

9 hours ago, Pipine said:

Saw Self Esteem last night at O2 Academy Sheffield.  Much bigger show now with costume changes and more choreo.. loved the new song Mother, I think the other new one will grow on me..  her old music teacher was next to me on the barrier and RLT said “I can’t believe you’re here!”.. the crowd sang happy birthday to her Dad too who was at the side of the stage.. all in all a brilliant home gig.  Lovely crowd too.. 

0C99D2CB-EA95-4BF5-909C-20168BB15718.jpeg

EE36E715-C500-44F4-876F-DE7D97A7C80B.jpeg

4654239E-B84C-4CBB-B280-0279C6ACD96C.jpeg

C75BB6CC-D793-4538-8C15-17AD254BE33C.jpeg

Great pics! I was MUCH further back, but a really lovely crowd and a great show.  3rd time in a year for me (after Glasto and Deer Shed) and it's grown each time.  RLT is ace, up to her how far she goes I reckon 

• Like 1