2023 Festival

TheWaters

11 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Not sure why people seem to suggest The Killers every year. The last time they played R&L was in 2008 - 15 years ago by the time of the 23 festival - and they’ve toured a hell of a lot in those 15 years. I feel that maybe the festival isn’t suited to them anymore.

I think they are suited for the festival so the fact they haven’t played for 15 years is bizarre to me. One of the biggest indie bands on the planet, popular with the youth still. Only reason I can think of (and I have no evidence really for this) is that they prefer early summer festivals? That might suggest why it’s been a hot while since they’ve played R&L and Sziget and the like.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Are they though? Not doubting it, I just don't see anyone under about 30 talking about them, wearing merch etc. Could be off base here.

I could also be off base as I probably have quite a biased few considering most my close circle like indie and alt music and the bars / clubs we visit predominantly play indie and alt music but yeah within that demographic they’re quite popular. I don’t think the under 30s are as fanatical about them as they are with say AM, Catfish or Fender which is why you might not see many talk about them but if they were announced as a headliner I’m sure most indie folk under 30 would go and watch them given they have a few big hits within the indie scene.

*Edit: check out some videos from their 2018 TRNSMT set. I seem to remember majority of the crowd were below 30.

Edited by FeverDream

24 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Are they though? Not doubting it, I just don't see anyone under about 30 talking about them, wearing merch etc. Could be off base here.

A lot of people from my friend groups (early twenties/late teens) went to the tour this year and had a blast, personally I think they'd go down better than the likes of MCR/Green Day etc

45 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Mad Cool by any chance?

Rock Werchter, played before RHCP and arguably they'd have been the better closer given Kiedis was clearly sick; Brandon was full of life, but we've found the downside of RW is that the crowd... isn't. 

2 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

Not sure why people seem to suggest The Killers every year. The last time they played R&L was in 2008 - 15 years ago by the time of the 23 festival - and they’ve toured a hell of a lot in those 15 years. I feel that maybe the festival isn’t suited to them anymore.

100% still would be popular. seem to always do early summer to be honest - they haven't done say Sziget since 2012 either.

What do we think re Kasabian. Its only a matter of time really and they did all the medium sized fests this year - would much prefer them to Royal Blood

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Rock Werchter, played before RHCP and arguably they'd have been the better closer given Kiedis was clearly sick; Brandon was full of life, but we've found the downside of RW is that the crowd... isn't. 

Mad Cool was the opposite, never seen a crowd so lively! But yeah Brandon is a great front man and they ended up being my favourite act of the weekend over Metallica which I didn’t expect. Would be great to see them at R&L.

Just now, gfa said:

What do we think re Kasabian. Its only a matter of time really and they did all the medium sized fests this year - would much prefer them to Royal Blood

If we’re to believe the 5 names we were given a few weeks back I’d expect them in 2024. I think they’d go down great. Not played since 2017 and I guess now they perform without Tom it’s a fairly fresh booking that would be worth the hype. Not got round to listening to the new album yet but enjoyed the singles. 

18 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Mad Cool was the opposite, never seen a crowd so lively! But yeah Brandon is a great front man and they ended up being my favourite act of the weekend over Metallica which I didn’t expect. Would be great to see them at R&L.

Not surprised, we were so sick of the boring crowd during RHCP that we just kept moving forward until we found people who looked like they were actually enjoying themselves. Guess who? Spaniards 😅 we had a good bonding session over Brits and Spaniards being the most up-for-it people at gigs. Belgians are lovely people, but Jesus Christ, at least look interested once in a while. Some German dude was wondering why we were sat down before Pearl Jam (taking a leg break) and then proceeded to not nod along, sing along, clap or cheer once the entire show. Wild. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BenG92 said:

The Killers are HUGE at my uni, I know about 10-15 people who have fairly mainstream taste who went out of their way to get to that stadium tour. Probably 2nd to AM in terms of biggest indie/rock acts across 16-25 demographic.

20 hours ago, BenG92 said:

More than big enough, they did an 8 arena run this year. 

Just a shame they're so incredibly stale now. We actually got bored halfway through a festival set of theirs this year and went for a hotdog while they played the background. 

I enjoyed their show at Birmingham Arena in the moment when I went in March, and I like Typhoons as it did introduce a few different colours to the sound, but I do agree that their vibe is a repetitive one. I guess it's a little tricky to work out what would change things up.

Maybe if they have new songs in their Muse support slots, we'll get an idea about what could be bought in.

19 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

Tbf they've played Glastonbury in that time, and have regularly done V and Isle of Wight. I think they're still at a UK festival headline level, and judging by the fact they sold out most of their UK stadium tour and still played to big crowds despite the double date deferral caused by covid, they would draw a crowd.

I mean, I saw a decent number of people younger than me at the Coventry stadium show I caught in May. Probably not AM big, but still enough to draw a crowd and not exactly that far removed from what has been booked here in recent years.

On 10/22/2022 at 11:37 AM, WhoOdyssey said:

I saw The Skinner Brothers support Kasabian, they were incredibly cringey and the crowd just weren’t up for them.

This review didn’t help my judgement either, strange lot - https://mancunion.com/2022/03/29/serenas-shambolic-night-with-the-skinner-brothers/

Skinner Brothers are twats. See these tweets:

The bands are Stone (who gave 10x the performance SB did at Leeds) and Hinds for example. 

image.png.802223d8be2edd623de469c1fe1e3ebb.png

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Has everybody forgotten that we've had the headliners leaked already -

Sam Fender / Billie Eilish / Greenday

Foals / KSI / Machine Gun Kelly

Or are we now choosing not to believe it?

MGK is not confirmed. And it could be said that the only one of the other five OP was 100% convinced on was KSI

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Has everybody forgotten that we've had the headliners leaked already -

Sam Fender / Billie Eilish / Greenday

Foals / KSI / Machine Gun Kelly

Or are we now choosing not to believe it?

It's definitely closer to being MGK than Paramore which i didn't expect to say. Out of all of those, it really wouldn't matter who was the MSW on the Green Day for me as I'd like use it as a beer/food run.

3 hours ago, sacred shape said:

Skinner Brothers are twats. See these tweets:

The bands are Stone (who gave 10x the performance SB did at Leeds) and Hinds for example. 

image.png.802223d8be2edd623de469c1fe1e3ebb.png

Didn't Louis Tomlinson put on an indie rock festival in Spain over the summer with bands in The Skinner Brothers' sort of position?

It's almost a throwback tbf. Years ago people might have been on board with this kind of musical posturing and people picking arguments with one another based on genre tribes whereas now it's all a bit more fluid.