Album of the Month Tournament - June 2021

Mattymooz

I've been so busy watching Glastonbury footage that I haven't had a chance to listen to some of the later releases as much as I'd like. 

1. Joy Oladokun - In Defence Of My Own Happiness

2. Lonelady - Former Things

3. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

No doubt Sault, Lucy Dacus and a couple of others could have gotten a place if released earlier. Really liked a lot this month actually. A strong month of new music for me. 

1. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

2. Gaspard Augé - Escapades

3. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee

Special mention for LUZoSCURA by Sasha as well, left it out as it's a multi-artist mixtape rather than a studio album, but bugger me it's a bit good.

1. Lucy Dacus - Home Video
  3. Modest Mouse - The Golden Casket

Three from Friday, and another from Friday - The Murlocs' Bittersweet Demons - is right up there too but those three I'm feeling right now. Very strong month. Annoyingly so, with all the football on.

1. James - All the colours of you [Finally getting them after all these years]

2. Amusement Parks on Fire - An Archaea [First album in 11 years for these gods of the second wave of shoegaze]

and then in a distant third....

3. Amaro Freitas - Sankofa [jazz 😎]

Thought Japanese Breakfast's album would be in there but one outrageously good tune does not an album make. 

31 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I thought I'd decided on my votes, then put on the Gaspard Augé album since I noticed it was getting a few votes. This might be a game changer for me. So far what I've listened to is awesome.

I tend to find the album of the month thread just gives me lots of new ones to listen to that slipped under my radar. 

1. Tyler The Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost

2. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

3. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000

Japanese Breakfast just missing out for me - probably the strongest month of the year so far and I have a ton to catch up on from last weekend still....

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:
  1. Lucy Dacus - Home Video
  3. Modest Mouse - The Golden Casket

Three from Friday, and another from Friday - The Murlocs' Bittersweet Demons - is right up there too but those three I'm feeling right now. Very strong month. Annoyingly so, with all the football on.

Aw shiiiit, forgot that one came out last week.....

8 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Haven’t had a chance to listen to Tigercub yet but they sounded great on their Radio 1 session on the Daniel Carter show.

It's not bad. I get definite Royal Blood vibes from them

• Upvote 1

Just added a lot of albums from this thread to my playlist for today. Seems a lot of good stuff was released and it's been a busy month for me with not enough time to listen! So thanks to everyone who has voted and drawn my attention to hopefully more great music!!

A fairly clear cut race this month - surprising absolutely no one, Wolf Alice's third record 'Blue Weekend' takes the top spot with a massive 51 points.

In a distant second is Sault's newest project 'Nine' with 13 points, closely followed in third by 'Home Video', the latest album from Lucy Dacus which scored 12 points.

Just missing out on the podium is Japanese Breakfast latest effort which received 9 points followed by Tyler, The Creator, Rise Against and King Gizz's albums on 6 points each.

Absolute Landslide tbh...

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

A fairly clear cut race this month - surprising absolutely no one, Wolf Alice's third record 'Blue Weekend' takes the top spot with a massive 51 points.

In a distant second is Sault's newest project 'Nine' with 13 points, closely followed in third by 'Home Video', the latest album from Lucy Dacus which scored 12 points.

Just missing out on the podium is Japanese Breakfast latest effort which received 9 points followed by Tyler, The Creator, Rise Against and King Gizz's albums on 6 points each.

Absolute Landslide tbh...

Yep to be fair I nearly didn't vote for it at all because I expected it to be such a landslide and there was a lot of great stuff in June but fair play it is a very good album. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never got round to voting in time, but if I had I would have voted for:

Jay Oladokun - in defence of my own happiness

Modest Mouse - The Golden Casket

Sleater Kinney - Path of Wellness

Doubt anyone cares, but since priest17 has bumped the thread thought I may as well share. Not heard the Phobophobes album, will need to check it out now!

• Like 1