Album of the Month Tournament - June 2021

Mattymooz

As no one seems to have claimed this month yet, I thought I'd jump in and steal the limelight hosting the most accurate and relevant album ranking on the internet. Been a pretty decent month for music so far - Wolf Alice amazed with their 3rd album, Marina (without her diamonds) remembered how to write a good song and King Gizz returned after a 4 month hiatus with a pop album. Plus the last night of releases looks absolutely stacked, with albums from Tyler, The Creator, Doja Cat, Modest Mouse, SAULT, Lucy Dacus and a live album from the legendary band Toto. You know the drill - you have till next Friday to submit your top 3 albums of the month, be warned that your selections will be judged and snarked on so pick wisely...

Here is a reminder of the rules:

• Contest window: Any album released in May
  • Entry window: between the last 0:00 Friday of the month in question to 23:59 the first Thursday of the month following (this time that's 28th May - 3rd June).
  • The system: Choose any three albums released during the month in question in order of preference.  The best receives three points, second best two points and the third best one point. See example below:

1. Album A (3 POINTS)
2. Album B (2 POINTS)
3. Album C (1 POINT)

• Any entries that say "so many good records. Can't choose! So in no particular order..." indicate a complete lack of understanding of simple gamesmanship. Votes from those entries will, obviously, be completely ignored.
  • Everyone else, I will assume the order they are listed is the order of preference. Even if you number it 1. 2. 3. I will assume that is in order of favourite and not the points you are giving unless expressed otherwise.

Very easy this month.All three albums released on the same day right at the beginning of the month and I have simply not listened to anything other than these three albums since.

1 Cleopatrick -  Bummer

2 Boss Keloid - Family the smiling thrush 

3 Rise Against - Nowhere Generation 

Edited by rivalschools.price

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

Just know when I don't include Wolf Alice in my top 3 I'm not being obtuse, there's clearly just something wrong with me.

I think I'm the only person who didn't like it immediately although it has grown on me after lots of listens. It's good that there's lots of variety on here although I wholeheartedly accept that it is clearly going to win. 

1. Rise Against - Nowhere Generation 

2. KennyHoopla - Survivors Guilt: The Mixtape (Not sure if this counts as it’s only 20 minutes long but it’s 8 songs so add if acceptable, remove if not and put Blue Weekend to no.2 please)

3. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend 

1. Wolf Alice - absolutely smashed it. Could go down as a classic.

2. King Gizzard - had my doubts about them going the synth route but it’s fantastic, best thing they’ve done in years.

3. Greentea Peng - wonderful stoned soul(jazz/reggae/hip hop) stew

Honourable mention: Lightning Bug - slow Sunday morning vibes