Download 2023

Download book Biffy because they’ve painted themselves in to a corner concerning how few headliners they have in their roster, and so if they don’t book Biffy every couple of years that roster grows even smaller. Even though Biffy aren’t necessarily a ‘good’ fit to headline Download or a particularly popular headliner when they headline Download, they’re ‘headliner sized’, are ‘rock’ enough that they can get away with booking them, and have organically climbed up the lineup over the years, and so that’s good enough.

18 hours ago, FeverDream said:

But that’s my point. If they don’t book a mass of bands that suit what the Biffy fan base are into then why would Biffy fans pay £100 for a day ticket to see Biffy and check out some bands they aren’t arsed about when Biffy charge £60 tops for their own shows? It just doesn’t make much sense to me.

It then begs the question to me as to why Download book Biffy in the first place. I can’t imagine much of the diehard weekend ticketers who go every year to be that bothered by Biffy. Would be interesting to see how many day tickets were sold for the Biffy day, as maybe I’m wrong and enough day tickets were sold in 2017 to justify their booking for 2022 with a fairly mismatched undercard which would make my whole argument void anyway!

Exactly my point. Download book a band who don't cater their headline set to the festival. Personally I like Volbeat, Rise Against, Powerwolf and there was two bands I'd not seen before. But there are bands I'd have rathered Download book to cater. Had the few bands I really fancied seeing not played I wouldn't have chucked my money at Download.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Exactly my point. Download book a band who don't cater their headline set to the festival. Personally I like Volbeat, Rise Against, Powerwolf and there was two bands I'd not seen before. But there are bands I'd have rathered Download book to cater. Had the few bands I really fancied seeing not played I wouldn't have chucked my money at Download.

I think I just misunderstood what you were trying to say, to be honest. But yeah it is a shame about Biffy not playing some older stuff. I’d have lost my shit for With Aplomb, A Day Of…, Eradicate The Doubt etc. Even just two or three wouldn’t go a miss. At the very least 57 but they didn’t even play that (though they’ve been playing it on the recent French tour so fingers crossed for November).

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Any shout for Metallica to do an S&M-esque show one night? Or have we touched on that and decided we're barking up the wrong tree?

Logistically that just doesn’t make sense. You would only do that style of gig at a venue that regularly hosts that kind of event. For one, the space that an orchestra would need to set up and two the sound of what, a hundred and four instruments all being viable in a space of that size? Nightmare.

33 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Logistically that just doesn’t make sense. You would only do that style of gig at a venue that regularly hosts that kind of event. For one, the space that an orchestra would need to set up and two the sound of what, a hundred and four instruments all being viable in a space of that size? Nightmare.

Fair enough. A shame, because it would be superb. Logistics definitely would require some stretch work.

10 minutes ago, SweetJesus said:

Nova Rock will reveal first acts tomorrow morning. Download still nothing? 🤔

Someone definitely announcing a tour, Rock for People in Czech Republic have also confirmed they’re dropping names tomorrow too. Should hopefully know today if Download are following suit