Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

46 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Interpol suck live. Crazy they still headline the festival 

My problem is more that I find it really hard to place Interpol as a headliner. Like, I know Turn on the Bright Lights was huge. I get it. But they've had like 3 (?) albums in a row that have completely bombed. I guess I just don't see how they can be considered as proper legacy (Pavement, Massive Attack etc) or currently vital (Tyler, Dua Lipa etc). They kind of fall into this weird middle ground where headlining status strikes me as off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, KGeedora said:

My problem is more that I find it really hard to place Interpol as a headliner. Like, I know Turn on the Bright Lights was huge. I get it. But they've had like 3 (?) albums in a row that have completely bombed. I guess I just don't see how they can be considered as proper legacy (Pavement, Massive Attack etc) or currently vital (Tyler, Dua Lipa etc). They kind of fall into this weird middle ground where headlining status strikes me as off.

It's all about Primavera's demographic, really. Like a lot of the acts Primavera puts into the 'big font' on the poster, they wouldn't be considered that level anywhere else. They're a strong sub at most other EU festivals on name recognition alone, but that's about it. They wouldn't be a like-for-like replacement for Massive Attack by any means, but I do think they'd be great with the right setlist in a midnight slot.

This is all moot anyway: the festival wouldn't have Interpol do two sets on different days, in different slots, during the second weekend – so I can't see it happening.

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

This is all moot anyway: the festival wouldn't have Interpol do two sets on different days, in different slots, during the second weekend – so I can't see it happening.

Nothing stopping them have Interpol do a set on weekend 1 as well as 2 and then having a weekend 1 band do similar double duty; doesn’t necessarily have to be one band replacing both Massive Attack slots. Not that that’s what I think will happen, but it’s a possibility. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BenG92 said:

They've replaced acts with less time before, no good reason they can't pull it off in 9 weeks

If they do borrow headliners from the opposite week, that leaves weekend 1 with either Interpol or YYYs, everyone else is busy

(and if it is Interpol, I'm open to giving them another go because they sucked at L+R'11 but that was so long ago)

Really enjoyed Interpol headlining the JP stage at Glastonbury 2019 - turned me from a casual into a bit more of a proper fan. Only other time I'd seen them was Leeds fest 2011, which was pretty dull. Elbow following them almost sent me to sleep, which wasn't the ideal prep for a Muse Origin of Symmetry set.

15 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Interpol suck live. Crazy they still headline the festival 

I think I've been at 5 Interpol concerts in my life, as they're one of my favourite bands. 2 times they've been great. The other 3 times they've been quite shitty for different reasons. I don't know how this should be possible but that's what I felt...

10 hours ago, Lubic87 said:

Only other time I'd seen them was Leeds fest 2011, which was pretty dull. Elbow following them almost sent me to sleep, which wasn't the ideal prep for a Muse Origin of Symmetry set.

Yep, I think we ended up just drinking until the Muse set, which was awesome. Looking back on Clashfinder now is hilarious though, could have seen The Streets, Frank Turner or Ed Sheeran during Elbow, that's wild. 

18 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Just noticed on Japanese Breakfasts updated tour dates Primavera W2 10th June isn't on there despite all other festivals. Maybe another drop out.

Is this based on her website? tbh I never understood those tour dates. It was like 3 festivals in Europe in a week between US dates.

27 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Just noticed on Japanese Breakfasts updated tour dates Primavera W2 10th June isn't on there despite all other festivals. Maybe another drop out.

Would be strange since the dates for the Porto festival is still there.

18 minutes ago, Haan said:

Is Amaarae still playing? She's not on the poster but still on the schedule on the site. She is one of my fav up-and-coming artists, really looking forward to her act. 

On the poster for first day of first weekend

Chet Faker is on the poster for June 8th but in the ciutat gig listings he’s due to play June 7th.

Also Stringrays artist profile has him down to play both June 3rd and June 4th.

Hope we get some clarification soon on who’s playing where/who has dropped out/the Phoenix & Ride ciutat shows etc. Someone had previously mentioned that Connan Mockasin cancelled but I can’t see that mentioned anywhere?

15 minutes ago, Float said:

Chet Faker is on the poster for June 8th but in the ciutat gig listings he’s due to play June 7th.

Also Stringrays artist profile has him down to play both June 3rd and June 4th.

Hope we get some clarification soon on who’s playing where/who has dropped out/the Phoenix & Ride ciutat shows etc. Someone had previously mentioned that Connan Mockasin cancelled but I can’t see that mentioned anywhere?

Connan most definitely has dropped out, Wide Awake Festival in London confirmed today that he wouldn't be playing there, and it's the weekend before Primavera.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Connan most definitely has dropped out, Wide Awake Festival in London confirmed today that he wouldn't be playing there, and it's the weekend before Primavera.

Ah yes I see, thanks! 

He was in my must-sees with Massive Attack, Brockhampton & Kano. Cancellations starting to sting now 😬 

Dreading what else the next few weeks will bring as I’m not expecting much in the line of replacements..

1 hour ago, Festcrazy said:

It will be really hard to find last minute headliner, I think that they will just upgrade some act or something

Why will it? They’ve done it in the past with less time, and with the festival circuit in full swing this year surely there will be tons of acts available to take an extra payday.