Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

2 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

If Nick Cave is doing Porto on the 9th I'd say that rules him out of returning to Barcelona on the 10th.

Pheonix are playing in France then but YYYs & Interpol could be options for the W1.

He’s there only free option for a Weekend 1 > 2 double up other than Pavement - and there must be some reason why they don’t want to do it otherwise I would’ve thought they’d have been booked to play both weekends in the first place. I don’t think coming back from Porto is that big of a deal. 

Phoenix are free on the 2nd. 

18 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Phoenix are free on the 2nd. 

these are their tour dates:

3 JUIN SAINT-BRIEUC, FR - FESTIVAL ART ROCK TICKETS
4 JUIN PARIS, FR - WE LOVE GREEN TICKETS
JUNE 8 BARCELONA, ES - PRIMAVERA IN THE CITY TICKETS
10 JUN LYON, FR - NUITS DE FOURVIÈRE TICKETS
JUNE 11 BARCELONA, ES - PRIMAVERA SOUND TICKETS

I really don't see them add one more Spain-France flight...

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If they do replace Massive Attack, I'd love to see Underworld in there. Feel like the lineup is missing an electronic headliner. Not that Prima has a history of that kind of thing, so I guess something like that would be unlikely 

Wow I like that. Any chance? What are they up to?

54 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If they do replace Massive Attack, I'd love to see Underworld in there. Feel like the lineup is missing an electronic headliner. Not that Prima has a history of that kind of thing, so I guess something like that would be unlikely 

Underworld was a headliner on the main stage in 2015.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I would actually love this for nostalgia reasons but they don't seem a great fit.

Same goes for me. I'd also say they'd never be booked under normal circumstances, but who knows. The new album is rather well received, even with most critics, so that might open up a scenario where they'd be booked. Just speculating obv.

Problem could be that they're not a very dependable live-band. Seen them play enthusiastic shows that took the crowd immediately as well as dull, tedious sets where they obviously didn't want to play in the first place(bo).

Edited by Quadrophobia

It wouldn't be a very well routed tour that seems them coming to the Iberian peninsular first in June, then in July and then in August.

For this reason, I'd say they are highly unlikely.

Whilst their best days are generally well behind them, that hasn't stopped Primavera from booking similar acts in future (hello Interpol) and they were certainly a good band in their heyday plus as mentioned new album well received.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It wouldn't be a very well routed tour that seems them coming to the Iberian peninsular first in June, then in July and then in August.

For this reason, I'd say they are highly unlikely.

Whilst their best days are generally well behind them, that hasn't stopped Primavera from booking similar acts in future (hello Interpol) and they were certainly a good band in their heyday plus as mentioned new album well received.

Placebo have the disadvantage of being British, thus never beeing even remotely appreciated by the likes of Pitchfork, who regularly trash British bands for being just that. And US-Music Media is quite relevant for the PS crowd. 

Also, I forgot they're playing Mad Cool, so they'd definitely be out. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Placebo have the disadvantage of being British, thus never beeing even remotely appreciated by the likes of Pitchfork, who regularly trash British bands for being just that. And US-Music Media is quite relevant for the PS crowd. 

Really? Maybe I’m missing something but Primavera Sound books a shitload of British bands each and every year!

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Really? Maybe I’m missing something but Primavera Sounds books a shitload of British bands each and every year!

Yeah, but Placebo are - or at least used to be - pretty big, as in headlining almost any European festival. A band like Idles - widely acclaimed but regularly trashed at Pitchfork - will still draw enough people to justify their booking, because many people don't really give a shit about critics. But the headliners have to be - at least somewhat - hip enought to resonate with the festivals identity of being hip. I don't think Placebo could do that.

Also, obviously not every British band ist trashed by Pitchfork, but suprisingly many well received British bands get pretty negative reviews there.

As an aside, I'm very curious about the amount of US visitors this time around and how it might change the atmosphere. It's the first time I remember seeing so many comments on socials from Americans coming over for it.

Primavera really did a sterling business move by being the first festival to announce for this year and it getting global attention the way it might not have done six months later.