Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbh Beach House could’ve easily been put in the headliner bracket this year and I don’t think anybody would’ve raised an eyebrow so kind of weird they weren’t given some of the other choices/the effort for the gender split. 

Yeah, I think the reason not too was as mundane as there not quite being enough space on the top line of the poster for one more.

5 minutes ago, KGeedora said:

I'm actually going to the Porto edition and since the Pandemic, it's interesting to look at how the headliners have changed. 

2020 = Tyler, Pavement, Beck, Lana Del Ray, Bad Bunny
2021 = Tyler, Pavement, Beck, Gorillaz, Bad Bunny
2022 = Nick Cave, Pavement, Beck, Gorillaz, Interpol

Like, it looks like they've definitely downgraded in terms of cost. Bad Bunny is one of the biggest artists in the world, so is Tyler. Instead of them they got Nick Cave and Interpol. Nick Cave is Nick Cave, so I think he is fine instead of Tyler but Interpol is not anywhere near the same planet/universe as Bad Bunny(popularity wise). I don't think they could get away with it if Cave pulls out and they don't replace him. 

Was Bad Bunny one of the biggest artists in the world when they booked him (in probably 2018) though? Agreed fee a fraction of what it is now presumably.

1 hour ago, DDave said:

I'm hoping for Saint Etienne and Confidence Man to be added in some capacity, both around. Con Man playing a festival in Madrid on May 19th so hopefully added afterwards

I'd love Con Man, but they play the 3 concerts on the UK on each weekend. Don't count on that.

Just now, xxialac said:

Was Bad Bunny one of the biggest artists in the world when they booked him (in probably 2018) though? Agreed fee a fraction of what it is now presumably.

Surely not, I remember his popularity booming during the pandemic, but this was still after his first album and he was mega huge. I didn't even include Doja Cat in the 2020 lineup. I just can't imagine Interpol in any universe commanding the same fee/will not in anyway pull the same amount of people whether it's 2019 or now.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is broadly where I am with it. Could see it going either way but it is very early.

I've definitely heard of Jethro before (he had four kids total) but they didn't meet until he was like seven or eight years old. I think it's been quite a strained relationship. Not that that takes away from the trauma of losing a child.

I don't know what you're talking about... it's less than 4 weeks away

I have ticket to see him on August and seriously doubt it will happen. I think the first part of is tour is off for sure, probably all of it

9 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Absolutely mental that Jorja Smith is now considered a top line act at Primavera Sound isn't it 

Do you mean it reflects well (or badly?) on her or the fest? I was a wee bit surprised. Some of her big songs are features or remixes, but she does seem to perform most of them. I think beach house would look a wee bit weird on the top line. The likes of interpol on the top line in 2022 also looks a stretch of course. In general primavera tends to have a bunch of quite big acts, rather than 2 or 3 identifiably monstrous headliners. Over my years of attending there's only been a few exceptions when Mordor (or equivalent) felt rammed - for English rock bands. The Cure, Blur, Radiohead. 

12 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I don't know what you're talking about... it's less than 4 weeks away

I have ticket to see him on August and seriously doubt it will happen. I think the first part of is tour is off for sure, probably all of it

We will see but I’d be surprised.

In the working world most people take less time off than this for the death of a close family member, some even find it helpful to try and keep routines and some normality. It might help him work through the grief.

This is a very different situation to a band member passing away where it would be inconceivable to go straight out on tour after.

And he also will be considering all the other touring members and their livelihoods.

Edited by xxialac

Just now, xxialac said:

We will see but I’d be surprised.

In the working world most people take less time off than this for the death of a close family member, some even find it helpful to try and keep routines and some normality. It might help him work through the grief.

This is a very different situation to a band member passing away where it would be inconceivable to go straight out on tour after.

I took two weeks off when my mum died for example. I do think it's entirely possible Cave will cancel and am fully expecting it. But given how vocal he has been about how performing has helped him process grief, I could also see him wanting to carry on. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Obviously going on tour is more than just going back to work. It involves being away from home and loved ones at a difficult time and that may be just too much to face right now. 

I think it's possible the June dates get cancelled but they keep the later tour dates.

It must be awful trying to make a decision about this stuff. Grief is not a linear process so predicting how you are going to feel in even four weeks time is pretty impossible.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Boo Radleys have a gig on 3 June in UK. Could be option for Hidden (Lush, Swervedriver and Ride have all played there before).

In 2019 there was no Hidden Stage. It was Your Heineken Stage. I think, even the smell on that tent was insane, a much better solution comparing with the 2018 Hidden Stage. The Comet is Coming was remarkable.

1 minute ago, MeMeMeM said:

In 2019 there was no Hidden Stage. It was Your Heineken Stage. I think, even the smell on that tent was insane, a much better solution comparing with the 2018 Hidden Stage. The Comet is Coming was remarkable.

Sorry I meant Hidden as catch all term for stage which gets announced last minute.

Is going to be odd not having the amphitheatre called Rayban this year though suspect most people will still call it that!

1 minute ago, Martin_89 said:

Are we expecting timetable for A la Ciutat today, and maaaaaaybe the main festival too?

I’m fairly confident we will get the a la Ciutat (because it’s mad to sell tickets without times) but not so sure about the other. Hopeful though!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Sorry I meant Hidden as catch all term for stage which gets announced last minute.

Is going to be odd not having the amphitheatre called Rayban this year though suspect most people will still call it that!

I will!! Rayban stage will always be Rayban stage

3 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Are we expecting timetable for A la Ciutat today, and maaaaaaybe the main festival too?

Would bet at main being next week. Especially with what just happened to Cave, they might need to reshuffle things very last minute if he's not on. 

2 minutes ago, Gregorick said:

I’m fairly confident we will get the a la Ciutat (because it’s mad to sell tickets without times) but not so sure about the other. Hopeful though!

All the opening times for each show are on the Dice pages. 

I’d like the individual specific times but they could say that the times have already been provided as per normal gigs (i.e. doors open at…)

yes, people come back to work earlier than a month after tragedies, but like said above - touring is not regular day-job, far more demanding. and I guess he's in a position he can effort taking the summer (or parts of it) off.

I think the only justification for Cave not cancelling will be out of consideration to his tour workers - this industry had very rough couple of years, I can see him going on in order not to cut them off paychecks once again

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

All the opening times for each show are on the Dice pages. 

I’d like the individual specific times but they could say that the times have already been provided as per normal gigs (i.e. doors open at…)

image.png.69c7831b715c2d1625d7c2b23111eaa0.png

So my guess is, we will get the timetable at least for a la Ciutat gigs.

6 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

yes, people come back to work earlier than a month after tragedies, but like said above - touring is not regular day-job, far more demanding. and I guess he's in a position he can effort taking the summer (or parts of it) off.

I think the only justification for Cave not cancelling will be out of consideration to his tour workers - this industry had very rough couple of years, I can see him going on in order not to cut them off paychecks once again

Yeah that crossed my mind too. A lot of people will be booked to work on the tour.

3 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Don’t mean to sound unkind to musicians but I don’t think playing 15 gigs or so a month even with the travel is any more demanding than most people’s day jobs and certainly not comparable to stressload of doctors, nurses etc.

• Upvote 1

My preliminary a la Ciutat schedule:

Sunday: Poble Espanyol and Razzmataz / Razzmataz 2 - depending on the order of the concerts; if it's not possible to get into any Razzmataz at that time, will go to sleep (our accommodation is really close to Razzmataz)

Monday: probably day off to restore stamina

Tuesday: Paral-lel 62 (Maria Jaume, Renaldo & Clara, L'impératrice)

Wednesday: this day is so stacked, that I don't even consider seeing Interpol indoors as a valid option for the evening; so it will be either Poble Espanyol or Razzmataz 2 (Acid Angel) - depending on the clashes in the main programme; if I'm able to see the Poble Espanyol artists during the main festival days, I will sacrifice Magdalena Bay and go to Acid Angel