news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

how?

far too many twats in this country, for evidence see - Brexit vote

Tactical voting then PR when Labour are in power. It’ll be difficult as the Tories have the media on their side but it’s imperative they are locked from out of office. 

I am FUCKING TERRIFIED that people are bein arrested purely for voicing republican sentiments. This is everything people fought against with the CJA in the 90s and the Public order Act earlier this year made real. 

We now live in a police state. 

And people are wallowing it and not complaining. Such a compliant populace. 

I actually had my line manager explicitly tell me not to talk about the monarchy because she knows I'm anti-monarchist. My colleagues genuinely told me that as a teacher I'm not allowed a personal opinion because the teaching standards forbid it. Here's what the TS actually say: 

Teachers have a responsibility to

image.png.ada23afa9640cbbdcb5b7aea9058eb23.png 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Neil said:

It’s for poor granny who’s still rattling about in the huge family home on her state pension but can’t possibly sell up for a smaller more energy efficient place due to all the memories the place holds.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, squirrelarmy said:

Just had a nervy thought. We know the funeral will now be a public holiday. So will the coronation. People are expecting the coronation to be next year due to all the planning involved. 

If it’s the end of June it could clash big time. 

9th June please, at least without the need for things to be cancelled. I can be at Courteeners and completely away from it. (yes I know "would rather watch the coronation than Courteeners lolz"). 

Over the last few years I have become more agnostic about the monarchy (as I have about God), mainly because I like having a non political head of state, and actually like the democratic bit being taken out...but at same time I do have a problem with the whole hereditary side of it, so I just don't know. So, I don't want the royals, but I don't want a president Thatcher, Blair or Johnson. Maybe best option is what they have in Ireland, a democratically elected head of state which is just a ceremonial role and does not have any real executive power.