news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe best option is what they have in Ireland, a democratically elected head of state which is just a ceremonial role and does not have any real executive power.

thats how it is in most republic's, germany and italy too.

My fear if we change the current system is that it would be the Tories that would be dictating what we change it to and we as an electorate don’t exactly have the best track record in recent times of electing good PMs as it is. 

Edited by Ozanne

Just now, Ozanne said:

My fear if we change the current system is that it would be the Tories that would be dictating what we change it to and we as an electorate don’t exactly have the best track record in recent times of electing good PMs as it is. 

if labour are advocating PR they need to outline all aspects of it and parliament otherwise the tories will set it to suit themselves.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

well chances of it changing in my lifetime our close to zero I think. Royals still pretty popular, although not so much with the young.

Just now, steviewevie said:

well chances of it changing in my lifetime our close to zero I think. Royals still pretty popular, although not so much with the young.

Oh yeah we aren’t gonna change it anytime but I’m kind of on the French about whether we do or not. For the reasons I outline I don’t trust that we would end up with a better one. 

23 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Do we really want the Tories having absolute power over the country?

I’m also not sure PR is as popular with the public as it is here. One of the reasons they called the EU undemocratic was PR. A lot of the British idea of democracy is having someone you can blame and vote out when things go wrong 

28 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Do we really want the Tories having absolute power over the country?

Unless & until there's a genuine appetite for abolishing the monarchy in the country, it's barely worth discussing. Unless Charlie makes a complete arse of being the head of state, I can't see it changing in my lifetime.

28 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Unless & until there's a genuine appetite for abolishing the monarchy in the country, it's barely worth discussing. Unless Charlie makes a complete arse of being the head of state, I can't see it changing in my lifetime.

People are screaming for the monarchy to end without understanding the consequences of what could happen if it did.

Just look at countries that got rid of their monarchies in the 20th century. They all turned out fine didn’t they…

China, Austria-Hungarian Empire, Italy, Yugoslavia, Romania, Kuwait, Cambodia, Germany, Spain & Russia. 

It would lead to a dangerous period of instability. I don’t think it’s possible to have a peaceful change of power.

Edited by squirrelarmy
Added Spain

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

People are screaming for the monarchy to end without understanding the consequences of what could happen if it did.

Just look at countries that got rid of their monarchies in the 20th century. They all turned out fine didn’t they…

China, Austria-Hungarian Empire, Italy, Yugoslavia, Romania, Kuwait, Cambodia, Germany & Russia. 

It would lead to a dangerous period of instability. I don’t think it’s possible to have a peaceful change of power.

so kind of a bit like the last 12 years then ? 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Oh yeah we aren’t gonna change it anytime but I’m kind of on the French about whether we do or not. For the reasons I outline I don’t trust that we would end up with a better one. 

i like the French solution to royalty.: P

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The last 12 years hasn’t killed millions. 

I don’t think a single transition of power hasn’t resulted in conflict. 

The only way we could do it peacefully if became obvious that most people wanted rid of monarchy and then we had a referendum on it, and then started transition. But, that ain't happening. So I guess will have to be a revolution and millions of deaths.

Then we can finally get to pick Rory Stewart or Jess Phillips for head of state.

Or Meghan.

Or Bez.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So I guess will have to be a revolution and millions of deaths.

If the monarchy ceased to exist there would be a huge power vacuum that would trigger conflict as different groups try to make sure they’re the ones in control at the end. 

There’s also one thing that the UK has that none of the countries had at the time of the abolition of their monarchies. 

That’s nuclear weapons. Do you really want to see a potential civil war where some lunatic is fighting for control over the big red button? 

What would happen is the USA stepping in. And you know they’re still bitter and they wouldn’t hesitate to give us “freedom”

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Having met him I think he'd be great.

I’ve also met him. He can still party like it was the 90s