news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So maybe when we have a situation where the vast majority of our power generation is green we can consider it but right now it would be a terrible idea.

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So maybe when we have a situation where the vast majority of our power generation is green we can consider it but right now it would be a terrible idea.

True, but most new extra capacity is green. 

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

43% at the moment - still way off what it needs to be but we are getting there...

More air conditioning requires more generation, if that generation is green there's nothing bad about the air conditioning. 

37 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We don't disagree on any of that - point is though that less than half are energy supply is green and our demands for energy almost already out strip the current supply without this.

How about we just don't bother with the AC for a while yet 😛 

Most new power capacity is green. So what the current mix is doesn't matter too much. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I agree on the AC thing but there is ways to get power without fucking the climate. I run my office on. Solar power a small powerpack and small solar panel works great. And cos I've got that powering my UPS  which has everything plugged into it I have lots of battery and smooth power delivery. Wonder if I'll see the difference in my electric bills. 

I have mentioned solar in a separate thread. AC running on solar at the hottest days and sunniest of the year will provide a cool environment for most people. If we are looking at 40+ temperatures a few times a year it makes long term sense especially in nursing homes etc 

We are past the point of retrofitting every home and need to start looking at technology.

6 hours ago, Neil said:

I agree on the AC thing but there is ways to get power without fucking the climate. I run my office on. Solar power a small powerpack and small solar panel works great. And cos I've got that powering my UPS  which has everything plugged into it I have lots of battery and smooth power delivery. Wonder if I'll see the difference in my electric bills. 

People having air con wouldn’t fuck the planet at all. There are different type of air con such as refrigerant systems that connect to people water pipes, these wouldn’t be a massive drain on power and would require no building work either.

Even conventional air con if powered in a sustainable way wouldn’t destroy the planet.

27 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't get that logic.

Also not sure this is true unless you count nuclear as green?

Nikes count as green because there's no greenhouse gases created. 

Yesterday was all about the heat today is about the floods

I tried to fix my blinking monitor, and managed to make it not work at all, so now I've got no monitor for my pc, difficult for me to fix with just one working srm and hand.

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I am all for nukes but they do create greenhouse gasses e.g. the mining for power etc.

They create less nasty gases than fossil fuel generation, even george monbiot endorses nukes. 

On 7/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, lost said:

I think Truss might win as she's going under the radar a bit. Badenoch, Braverman & Patel whos just gone seem to getting most of the attack stuff directed at them.

Sticking with my prediction from 8 days ago. Still think she's too much of a populist and its going to be disaster.

Truss to beat Dishi Rishi in the final.

Edited by lost

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

All solid pledges by a solid bloke. 

supposedly, according to the haters: abandoned.

rory stewart has some words to say about corbyn in his BBC podcast about the history of arguments.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

rory stewart has some words to say about corbyn in his BBC podcast about the history of arguments.

He hasn’t been in government to be able to abandon anything yet. 

I'd be more worried about a politician who doesn't tailor their policies based on current conditions. He's basically said we've spent the equivalent of fighting a world war on covid and so there obviously there isn't going to be enough money to start playing monopoly and go out buying the electric company and the water works. That makes him much more credible in my eyes than say Penny Mordaunt or Lizz Truss as things currently stand.

Edited by lost

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He hasn’t been in government to be able to abandon anything yet. 

Abandoned all common sense tories know what a leadership election is about. 

43 minutes ago, Neil said:

Y the Labour Party should be a non prophet organisation. 

53 minutes ago, lost said:

I'd be more worried about a politician who doesn't tailor their policies based on current conditions. He's basically said we've spent the equivalent of fighting a world war on covid and so there obviously there isn't going to be enough money to start playing monopoly and go out buying the electric company and the water works. That makes him much more credible in my eyes than say Penny Mordaunt or Lizz Truss as things currently stand.

Savvy Starmer?

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

844E3D00-73F2-4962-97B5-EE191C2277BC.webp

I mean, who on the left can disagree with any of that? Those who go along the 'doesn't go far enough' line of attack are self sabotaging. 

Really annoyed me there were two typos though - out instead of our in number 5 and lost instead of lose in number 10. This is being published nationally. Proof read and make sure it's right FFS.