news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

If Sadiq or Burnham could get back you would think they stand a chance. Streeting since he has been health secretary has looked the most effective in terms of media, but as you say calls for woman could be overwhelming.

burnham for sure is labour's biggest asset, but khan? I'm not sure about the rest of the country but here here he's quite unpopular. defo has nowhere near the cut through that Burnham does. anecdotally, I've heard a lot of people from all sides of the political spectrum praise burnham's work, whereas i can't remember one time someone has recognised khan positively 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I mean the Mail were pushing this as were some Tory MPs, and they did uncover some stuff that labour had lied about...the amount of people there, Rayner being there...and I guess that is why police are now investigating. Doesn't look good really. I mean, as it stands it could still be considered a break during work, but then so could Johnson's birthday cake...and with the amount of grief Starmer has been giving Johnson over this...I don't know..not great.

But...at same time...it's a blow, but not the end of the world for labour if Starmer goes, he's not exactly set the world alight. He has done a good job on distancing labour from some unpopular parts of Corbyn's labour, but in doing so as made a lot of enemies on the left who will rejoice if he is forced out (until Streeting, Cooper or Reeves replaces him). He is also good at all the grown up stuff especially in contrast to Johnson, but he is also kind of boring. I mean...who would you rather have a beer with...Johnson or Starmer? 🙃

Can I just stay in and watch the telly or read a book?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...who would you rather have a beer with...Johnson or Starmer?

I always find it weird that's a frequently asked political question that people use to decide. It's basically the thought process people had for choosing George Bush over Al Gore in 2000 and well... that went well.

15 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

burnham for sure is labour's biggest asset, but khan? I'm not sure about the rest of the country but here here he's quite unpopular. defo has nowhere near the cut through that Burnham does. anecdotally, I've heard a lot of people from all sides of the political spectrum praise burnham's work, whereas i can't remember one time someone has recognised khan positively 

Barnham needs to be an MP otherwise yeah you are right he’d be a great shot for leader. 

20 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

Burnham has got a much easier job than Khan...but yeah I think Burnham probably does come across better...but also this is same Burnham who came a distant 2nd back in 2015 and is now suddenly the answer to all of labour's problems...

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Burnham has got a much easier job than Khan...but yeah I think Burnham probably does come across better...but also this is same Burnham who came a distant 2nd back in 2015 and is now suddenly the answer to all of labour's problems...

Think he was a harder sell in '15 cause we were coming off the back of Ed Miliband and it just felt like more of the same. also corbyn's campaign was great and fresh and obviously mobilised a load of new members - it was quite a unique set of circumstances 

also fwiw I reckon burnham would be near the top of the 'guy I'd like to go for a pint with' list, right up there with farage 

29 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

Think he was a harder sell in '15 cause we were coming off the back of Ed Miliband and it just felt like more of the same. also corbyn's campaign was great and fresh and obviously mobilised a load of new members - it was quite a unique set of circumstances 

also fwiw I reckon burnham would be near the top of the 'guy I'd like to go for a pint with' list, right up there with farage 

I was all on board until you ruined it with the farage bit.

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, it isn't actually anywhere near the main news on BBC...but certainly is on front page of some of the newspapers...The Mail and Sun loving it of course (Express amazingly trying to spin the election results as good for Johnson)....and I'm sure Johnson will bring it up in next PMQs a few times. If police find wrong doing then it certainly will be big news, especially if Starmer does resign.

By their own count it's been on the mail front page for I think ten days, including some multi page specials.   The sun did a couple around the election so they could do their bit. 

The only place thats got so much intense speculation over one not yet issued fixed penalty notice is this thread. 

There's a lot to actually happen on both sides - he could be cleared or he could challenge it for example. 

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

By their own count it's been on the mail front page for I think ten days, including some multi page specials.   The sun did a couple around the election so they could do their bit. 

The only place thats got so much intense speculation over one not yet issued fixed penalty notice is this thread. 

There's a lot to actually happen on both sides - he could be cleared or he could challenge it for example. 

Yeah I know, and it could all come to nothing. But in next few weeks if Johnson gets more fines Starmer can hardly use same attack lines, infact he probably won't mention it now. It's a big boon for Johnson this, operation save big dog.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I was all on board until you ruined it with the farage bit.

not my own list.. but in terms of general perception. admittedly farage's appeal has probably dropped in recent years, but at one point it felt like you couldn't move for pints with nige media coverage 

6 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

not my own list.. but in terms of general perception. admittedly farage's appeal has probably dropped in recent years, but at one point it felt like you couldn't move for pints with nige media coverage 

There are plenty of pubs that have reactionary bigots having a pint, you don't need to go with that one. 

Your definition of a laugh is a bit broader than mine. 

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah I know, and it could all come to nothing. But in next few weeks if Johnson gets more fines Starmer can hardly use same attack lines, infact he probably won't mention it now. It's a big boon for Johnson this, operation save big dog.

Calm down eh? Look how many months it's taken since the Allegra Stratton video, which was way back in December. 

17 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Sinn Fein now largest party in NI Assembly, so UK remaining united still looks uncertain.

that doesnt justify a border poll, and SF would say Northern Ireland isn't ready to have it, before a vote there needs to be a public discussion about what the province would look like within a united Ireland.

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

There are plenty of pubs that have reactionary bigots having a pint, you don't need to go with that one. 

Your definition of a laugh is a bit broader than mine. 

I'd say there's plenty of boring fellas in pubs too, I wouldn't want a pint with either of them personally!

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Talking of who might replace Starmer I keep forgetting about Streeting, he has to be one of the favourites too... although surely they will elect a woman this time.

Would Streeting just be considered a younger Starmer though?

24 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Would Streeting just be considered a younger Starmer though?

Streeting has way more personality than Starmer. You compare Streeting with Ashworth as shadow health and there has been a huge difference. The problem for Streeting is that the Corbynites hate him.

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

This is a decent write up of where we are after the elections. 

Hmm, he goes on to be a bit more nuanced though, "Labour's vote is still inefficient, and there are only limited signs it's becoming slightly less so."

I think this comment of his is the key to finally getting rid of the tories: "The Lib Dems won lots of disaffected Tory voters"

The child vs adult in me really wrestles with this. The child can't forgive them for getting into coalition with the tories, justifying austerity, reneging on their promise to stand against tuition fees, stratospherically fucking up their one chance to bring in PR, blah, blah, blah.

However, the adult in me realises that a resurgent LD really hurts the tories in the south and other places where Labour are unlikely to win seats, especially now that Farage is a spent force and unable to split the tory vote.

I'd like to say that in life the adult usually wins out against the child, but the festival gates open in 46 days and after six sodding years without a ticket my inner child will be given full licence to gurn like a loon and wreak havoc. So there's that to put everything in perspective.