news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If anything this leak confirms it was a work event. I’d imagine they would have checked everything was within the rules then put together the itinerary. 

...but at same time so was a lot of the stuff going on in downing st involving Johnson.

All's fair in love and war and all that....if Johnson is guilty of some of this stuff then so is Starmer?

Personally I think the whole partygate thing has opened a can of worms, what was allowed when and where....for me Johnson is way more guilty...but this Starmer beergate thing has thrown a spanner in the works which I think in long run just kills the whole thing...it just adds to the whole politicians of all stripes are shitty bastards all in it for themselves...which I think is a shame because I actually think most are just people willing to put in the hard graft for the sake of democracy and governance and we need people to do this shit..I certainly wouldn't like to.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

How about them shinners?

The demographic trend + brexit - Irish unity surely now just a question of when?

7DD95A27-FB0E-4739-BAB4-49980F6F9E24.png

If N Ireland fuck off would certainly make brexit a lot easier...problem is I don't think they will fuck off without a fight...literally.

Just now, steviewevie said:

...but at same time so was a lot of the stuff going on in downing st involving Johnson.

All's fair in love and war and all that....if Johnson is guilty of some of this stuff then so is Starmer?

Personally I think the whole partygate thing has opened a can of worms, what was allowed when and where....for me Johnson is way more guilty...but this Starmer beergate thing has thrown a spanner in the works which I think in long run just kills the whole thing...it just adds to the whole politicians of all stripes are shitty bastards all in it for themselves...which I think is a shame because I actually think most are just people willing to put in the hard graft for the sake of democracy and governance and we need people to do this shit..I certainly wouldn't like to.

Johnson's stuff is completely different.

This itinerary shows that they had planned a work meal and as such wasn't a party. If anything this leak by the Mail puts it to bed. Why would Labour put together an itinerary that confirms they are reading the rules?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe police are opening investigation because labour were found to have not told the truth about who and how many were at the "work event"...which is fair enough...no?

That's a hypothetical, we can only judge from what we know so far and that is that this was a planned work day in the middle of an election campaign all of which was within the rules. Considering there's an itinerary of when Starmer goes back to his hotel room I doubt that he would stay and party.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If N Ireland fuck off would certainly make brexit a lot easier...problem is I don't think they will fuck off without a fight...literally.

Seems like people commenting want that fight the most. 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

Seems like people commenting want that fight the most. 

To me, as a little englander who doesn't really give a fuck if N Ireland stays in UK or not, the Good Friday agreement seems to be the best solution, but that is fucked now...brexit has fucked that....there is now a border and that has to go somewhere and wherever it goes it's going to upset someone's sensitivities. Just shows how brexit was so stupidly reckless and not thought through...hardly anyone mentioned NI in the brexit campaigns, it was all NHS money and scary immigrants from scary Turkey and the economy. English w*nkers.

• Upvote 1

Even the northern Ireland parties didn't work out how things were likely to pan out Irish sea border was always hugely likely. 

Looking forward to a thriving united Ireland lead by a progressive coalition of sinn fein and the constellation of social democratic/left parties on both sides of the border. Lets hope it comes before the end of the decade.

39 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Looking forward to a thriving united Ireland lead by a progressive coalition of sinn fein and the constellation of social democratic/left parties on both sides of the border. Lets hope it comes before the end of the decade.

I'll miss their funny accents on the news every night.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'll miss their funny accents on the news every night.

Get a big aerial and point it westwards to pickup RTÉ.

Actually though, this is genuinely just the start. Census data soon to reveal a likely catholic majority, the irish language act to drop by the end of the year, NI protestants getting irish passports in droves post Brexit/post pandemic to avail themselves of the nice quick EU passport line on their hols.

Theres still a lot of work to do, but I think the kind mental gymnastics that a lot of unionists have had to do will end up with a few of the younger more progressive amongst them actually reconciling themselves with the fact that not only are they better of in Ireland and Europe than with belly up Britain, but actually maybe they are in fact come to think of it, maybe a bit irish themselves after all.

Reckon wes streeting and Mandelson have grassed on Starmer to Durham police. Some new evidence or something.

Too coincidental that it happened as underwhelming local results started to come in.

Its a coup. Wes is the red tories’ pretender to the throne. Starmer has been a useful idiot but looks like they’ve decided his race is run.

9 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Get a big aerial and point it westwards to pickup RTÉ.

Actually though, this is genuinely just the start. Census data soon to reveal a likely catholic majority, the irish language act to drop by the end of the year, NI protestants getting irish passports in droves post Brexit/post pandemic to avail themselves of the nice quick EU passport line on their hols.

Theres still a lot of work to do, but I think the kind mental gymnastics that a lot of unionists have had to do will end up with a few of the younger more progressive amongst them actually reconciling themselves with the fact that not only are they better of in Ireland and Europe than with belly up Britain, but actually maybe they are in fact come to think of it, maybe a bit irish themselves after all.

Yeah, seems inevitable...but at same time there's still a whole bunch of people who very much see themselves as British.

7 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Reckon wes streeting and Mandelson have grassed on Starmer to Durham police. Some new evidence or something.

Too coincidental that it happened as underwhelming local results started to come in.

Its a coup. Wes is the red tories’ pretender to the throne. Starmer has been a useful idiot but looks like they’ve decided his race is run.

It's obviously Corbyn.

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's obviously Corbyn.

Sadly the left are just not that political/strategic. That was his downfall.

The annoying thing about Wes Streeting is that he is quite good in front of a camera. He’s a good salesman. He would probably do a decent job as an opposition leader. Unfortunately his politics are pretty regressive. He’d be Murdoch’s pick for leader - about as right wing as it as a Labour politician. So as a Prime Minister his government would stink. Expect NHS privatisation to roll on unhindered, the crooked rail, water, electric monopolies to go on conning the public to the benefit of shareholders, taxes to stay low and corruption in the city of London to go on unchallenged, delaying the decarbonisation of the energy industry. Just shite.

12 hours ago, Ozanne said:

If anything this leak confirms it was a work event. I’d imagine they would have checked everything was within the rules then put together the itinerary. 

with this I guess it can be argued both ways...yes it was part of work event...but also original excuse from labour was that they ordered the food impromptu as was getting late and they needed something to eat...so more lies basically. So, maybe police will still find rules weren't broken, but still looks bad. This could lead to Starmer having to resign but Johnson won't because he is running the country.

Labour are such losers. Mass unemployment, destruction of industries in North, social unrest, labour lose. A decade of Thatcherism, labour lose. Austerity and then some more, labour lose. Brexit, labour lose. Pandemic carnage, labour lose. Partygate and cost of living crisis, labour lose? Labour only win when things are generally ok, like in 97. Maybe that's why tories keep giving us endless shit, so they stay in power.