news & politics:discussion

zahidf

33 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

If he gets a FPN and resigns then I would of thought it unlikely that Johnson (or Sunak) will consider his position. Yes, it might prompt a flurry of letters to the 1922, maybe even trigger a vote, but I think it's likely he will survive a vote [can't remember if 1922 changed the rules or is it still that he'd be safe from another confidence vote for a year?].

I hear people saying that it if Starmer doesn't get a FPN then it'll give him more authority to challenge Johnson if he gets some more or if it's a troublesome Gray report...but I don't think it'll change the operation big dog crew who will still go on about how it's time to move on blah blah, more important things blah blah.

It's all been a Dancing Squirrel to deflect from the local elections and the squirrel has danced a blinder.

I expect Starmer's team trying to work possibility that he will be fined and then whether to gamble on saying he will resign...high stakes. But yeah, I expect Johnson won't resign no matter what, and MPs won't move against him as no obvious successor, although maybe a few more will be worried about losing their seats after the locals.

Edited by steviewevie

28 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

If he gets a FPN and resigns then I would of thought it unlikely that Johnson (or Sunak) will consider his position. Yes, it might prompt a flurry of letters to the 1922, maybe even trigger a vote, but I think it's likely he will survive a vote [can't remember if 1922 changed the rules or is it still that he'd be safe from another confidence vote for a year?].

I hear people saying that it if Starmer doesn't get a FPN then it'll give him more authority to challenge Johnson if he gets some more or if it's a troublesome Gray report...but I don't think it'll change the operation big dog crew who will still go on about how it's time to move on blah blah, more important things blah blah.

It's all been a Dancing Squirrel to deflect from the local elections and the squirrel has danced a blinder.

The thing to remember is that the game is so stacked in Johnson and the Tories favour that nothing matters so Johnson will get away with it all while Starmer would have to resign for something much less.

If Starmer does announce this today then it’ll be the right move and a pretty savvy political one from him and his team. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

although maybe a few more will be worried about losing their seats after the locals

It's all such a pity really, as this should have been the huge story dominating the media all week. We should have been able to sit back and watch the tories tear themselves apart. Oh well, there's always next week.

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

’Close allies’ encouraging him to basically resign = wes streeting and mandy

Or he's got the perfect opportunity to get out whilst keeping his principles intact.

He's a bright bloke and, unlike Johnson who just wants to play at being emperor whilst doing no work, he may well realise that he's better off without the grief of the role and go back to doing something he's more suited (and better paid) for.

13 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

It's all such a pity really, as this should have been the huge story dominating the media all week. We should have been able to sit back and watch the tories tear themselves apart. Oh well, there's always next week.

it might not be in the media, but still won't stop those MPs being worried.

25 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Or he's got the perfect opportunity to get out whilst keeping his principles intact.

He's a bright bloke and, unlike Johnson who just wants to play at being emperor whilst doing no work, he may well realise that he's better off without the grief of the role and go back to doing something he's more suited (and better paid) for.

He’s doing it for a bite, ignore him.

31 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Ptories where going to tear themselves apart over Brexit, how did that go?? 

It’s on. My feeling is that Starmer knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s a smart guy and knows how to get the answer he is looking for out of a criminal. 

Are they still skiving or will Spaffer be back avoiding questions this week?

No matter how many times he says no rules were broken, the police feel there is a need to investigate. The problem with these rules is so open to interpretation. I mean, I'd be getting a few fines too, as I'm sure a lot of people would. But, I guess main difference here is Johnson is head of government who made these rules and trust is all important, and Starmer was taking political advantage and calling for Johnson to resign (something everyone seemed desperate for him to do at the time), so looks a hypocrite. Not ideal for Starmer...and in the end it really does feed into the they're all as bad as each other thing, which is a big let off for Johnson.

17 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

So what If he is judged to have committed a minor breach of the rules but not fined? 

doesn’t look good for him either does it 

That can’t happen, you either breach the rules and are fined or you haven’t. 

Edited by Ozanne

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s on. My feeling is that Starmer knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s a smart guy and knows how to get the answer he is looking for out of a criminal. 

Are they still skiving or will Spaffer be back avoiding questions this week?

I reckon he waited these 2 days and has got the feeling he’ll be exonerated hence why he’s done this.

It seems pretty clear he’s done nothing wrong.