news & politics:discussion

zahidf

47 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I've added a couple of pints worth to the pot. My friend's wife died from bowel cancer last year and I have another friend who has just gone through 8 cycles of chemo drugs to keep it at bay. Hope Bryony has the very best of luck for the future.

Thank you so much xx Sorry to hear about your friend's wife. I lost my best mate to uterine cancer in 2018 so I know how heartbreaking it is and anything we can do to help stop that feels worth a shot.

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

thought I'd better so you think I am a nice person.

Naturally!

Thanks all and sorry for derailing the thread.

Fuck the Tories!

probably why Starmer was so cagey when being asked in interviews...he knew this was coming.

On paper it sounds like they have a plausible excuse...it was work and they needed to eat, restaurants were shut, so got a takeaway...err...and some beer....but at same time it's not the same as someone bringing in a birthday cake and everyone singing happy birthday (although I think that is pretty innocent really, it's just the amount of it going on in downing st that is the problem, and all the denials and lies). But, the problem could be Rayner being there, why did they not say about that previously? Bit weird. And in the end this helps Johnson because it just makes them all look as bad as each other.
And if Starmer does get a fixed penalty notice, which is unlikely, but if he at least gets a telling off or whatever...that looks bad...should he resign like he's been calling Johnson to?

Edited by steviewevie

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Imagine if Starmer gets a fine!

At least when they officially clear Labour for this the right wing press will have nothing left.

Convenient how Durham Police didn’t retrospectively look into Cummings but they are for this.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

probably why Starmer was so cagey when being asked in interviews...he knew this was coming.

On paper it sounds like they have a plausible excuse...it was work and they needed to eat, restaurants were shut, so got a takeaway...err...and some beer....but at same time it's not the same as someone bringing in a birthday cake and everyone singing happy birthday (although I think that is pretty innocent really, it's just the amount of it going on in downing st that is the problem). But, the problem could be Rayner being there, why did they not say about that previously? Bit weird. And in the end this helps Johnson because it just makes them all look as bad as each other.
And if Johnson does get a fixed penalty notice, which is unlikely, but if he at least gets a telling off or whatever...that looks bad...should he resign like he's been calling Johnson to?

I mean hypothetically, if Starmer was to quit (which in my view would be right for Labour regardless), surely Johnson would then also have to quit? 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He probably won’t be fined anyway:

yeah, but they could be "persuaded" to change this...especially as Met are issuing fines...otherwise seems unfair.

Starmer needs to be found totally innocent otherwise he's toast.

I think he will most likely be let off unless there's something we don't know about, but at same time this will negate the partygate thing in many people's eyes, they were all at it etc etc.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, but they could be "persuaded" to change this...especially as Met are issuing fines...otherwise seems unfair.

Starmer needs to be found totally innocent otherwise he's toast.

I think he will most likely be let off unless there's something we don't know about, but at same time this will negate the partygate thing in many people's eyes, they were all at it etc etc.

Not necessarily as they are different Police forces so Durham will have set a precedent in their area for not retrospectively fining people already.

Although if he has been found to have broken rules then yeah it would be difficult for him. At the moment they are just looking into it so could come to nothing.

Now the elections over and we have this announcement, I’ll look forward to the latest update from the Met re No 10. I doubt we’ll get anything for a while because it’s Johnson. 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not necessarily as they are different Police forces so Durham will have set a precedent in their area for not retrospectively fining people already.

Although if he has been found to have broken rules then yeah it would be difficult for him. At the moment they are just looking into it so could come to nothing.

Now the elections over and we have this announcement, I’ll look forward to the latest update from the Met re No 10. I doubt we’ll get anything for a while because it’s Johnson. 

but this will now take the sting out of any attacks by Starmer on Johnson.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but this will now take the sting out of any attacks by Starmer on Johnson.

I don’t think so entirely. Johnson did make the rules and has broken them on multiple occasions plus lied in the Commons. It’s much more tricky for him.

The only thing Johnson has in his favour is that people give him more leeway than anyone else. 

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I would love Rayner but would she pull votes from the Tories? Can't see it. Surely they need someone a bit more likely to swing voters.

yeah, agreed. I like her too...but they somehow need to win in both red and blue walls...whatever that means anymore....and not sure Rayner would have that appeal, although maybe she'd do no worse than Starmer. To be honest there isn't an obvious candidate.

Maybe they should bring back Blair.

And Corbyn for deputy.