news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Yes

Why? If somebody has a safe situation in their home country to return to as far as I can tell they can’t be considered to be a refugee per the UNs definition.

Which I guess is why the EU also excluded ’temporary residents’ in ukraine from their asylum agreement. And so EU countries I’d guess will reject any asylum applications from the overseas students as and when they apply. I also suspect that if Poland was not in Schengen, they would not even have been allowed in to the Schengen area.

Just putting to one side the kneejerk reactions and the toxicity of migration politics from the specific case here - it seems to me that the article is in effect calling for the uk to broaden the definition of what a refugee is to a definition that would then be broader than that used by the UN or the EU.

So yea. I just think the article is dishonest.

4A0D9CCB-A57A-4DC4-A1A6-103E74BC8501.jpeg

Edited by mattiloy

7 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Why? If somebody has a safe situation in their home country to return to as far as I can tell they can’t be considered to be a refugee per the UNs definition.

Which I guess is why the EU also excluded ’temporary residents’ in ukraine from their asylum agreement. And so EU countries I’d guess will reject any asylum applications from the overseas students as and when they apply. I also suspect that if Poland was not in Schengen, they would not even have been allowed in to the Schengen area.

Just putting to one side the kneejerk reactions and the toxicity of migration politics from the specific case here - it seems to me that the article is in effect calling for the uk to broaden the definition of what a refugee is to a definition that would then be broader than that used by the UN or the EU.

So yea. I just think the article is dishonest.

4A0D9CCB-A57A-4DC4-A1A6-103E74BC8501.jpeg

I don't know...in the grand scheme of things seems kind of trivial...I mean, how many are there? Is Kenya not willing to help them get out?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

your tory party membership has been approved. 

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know...in the grand scheme of things seems kind of trivial...I mean, how many are there? Is Kenya not willing to help them get out?

76,000 according to Google. Not insubstantial but i guess fairly inconsequential in the context of 2million refugees fleeing ukraine.

Of course their home countries will take them back. The ones stuck in france are there because they wanted to try to get to the uk than return to their home country.

My point is just that I’m seeing these articles slagging off the uk for not allowing them to get into the country without applying for a visa first, when the treatment, based as it is on their status as non refugees, doesn’t really differ between the uk, the eu or the UN.

The UK has a lot to answer for in its treatment of refugees, but I’m not sure that excluding students studying in ukraine from automatically being allowed a visa to come to the uk is one of them.

Edited by mattiloy

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

76,000 according to Google. Not insubstantial but i guess fairly inconsequential in the context of 2million refugees fleeing ukraine.

Of course their home countries will take them back. The ones stuck in france are there because they wanted to try to get to the uk than return to their home country.

My point is just that I’m seeing these articles slagging off the uk for not allowing them to get into the country without applying for a visa first, when the treatment, based as it is on their status as non refugees, doesn’t really differ between the uk, the eu or the UN.

The UK has a lot to answer for in its treatment of refugees, but I’m not sure that excluding students studying in ukraine from automatically being allowed a visa to come to the uk is one of them.

ok...well nice one Priti then.

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently Bojo is desperate to visit Ukraine, probably buzzing off all the love for him out there.

want to pose around in a flack jacket with a gun.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently Bojo is desperate to visit Ukraine, probably buzzing off all the love for him out there.

Would it be safer for Boris if he were visiting Ukraine to tell Russia exactly where and when he will be so he can't get caught accidentally in the firing range or keep his movements under wraps so that he can't get deliberately caught in the firing range?

11 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Would it be safer for Boris if he were visiting Ukraine to tell Russia exactly where and when he will be so he can't get caught accidentally in the firing range or keep his movements under wraps so that he can't get deliberately caught in the firing range?

Don’t worry. His Russian handler will know exactly where agent Spaffer will be at all times.