news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Russia could still win, they could just flatten Kyiv like they have Mariupol, Karkhiv, Grozny and Aleppo and the Ukrainian govt would have to surrender if there were any of them left. No doubt Russian media would blame Ukrainian Nazis for this but they'll never be able to peacefully govern Ukraine, especially not now. It would end up like Iraq or Afghanistan which would be even more of a tragedy, and could spill over into neighboring countries and then escalate into something much bigger. There needs to be a peace deal, but not sure that we'll see one anytime soon.

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Russia could still win, they could just flatten Kyiv like they have Mariupol, Karkhiv, Grozny and Aleppo and the Ukrainian govt would have to surrender if there were any of them left. No doubt Russian media would blame Ukrainian Nazis for this but they'll never be able to peacefully govern Ukraine, especially not now. It would end up like Iraq or Afghanistan which would be even more of a tragedy, and could spill over into neighboring countries and then escalate into something much bigger. There needs to be a peace deal, but not sure that we'll see one anytime soon.

That's the thing, though, I don't know if you could really call it a win if the fighting carries on for years afterwards. Much like Afghanistan as you say.

It does seem like this is a long haul situation. Initially I thought it would be over in days but that really hasn't come to pass.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's the thing, though, I don't know if you could really call it a win if the fighting carries on for years afterwards. Much like Afghanistan as you say.

It does seem like this is a long haul situation. Initially I thought it would be over in days but that really hasn't come to pass.

Yeah, right but I'm sure Putin will declare it a win, and Zelensky will either be dead or in exile.

I think a lot of people thought it would be over in a few days, but Ukrainian resistance and russian crapness means it could well drag on for sometime, and maybe the west will get bored of it and be more worried about their fucked economies.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I think in regards to conventional military terms he has...  What worries everyone I think is he starts to use chemical, biological and tactical nuclear weapons which would potentially change that picture.   Which would be horrific for the people of Ukraine 😞

Bet your fun on a night out 😉

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I should add that I don't think this is most likely outcome, just one of many...but whatever happens, unless Putin is kicked out by some coup which is probably unlikely, then for Putin to eventually agree to a peace deal he will want it to look like a win.

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I should add that I don't think this is most likely outcome, just one of many...but whatever happens, unless Putin is kicked out by some coup which is probably unlikely, then for Putin to eventually agree to a peace deal he will want it to look like a win.

I don't think it is even he has to look like he has a win. He actually has to believe it. We have seen what his demands are

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Big day for dishi rishi.

My prediction - He’ll claim credit for everything that’s gone well, blame outside factors for everything that sucks and offer barely any actual policies that will help those who need it most. 

23 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

My prediction - He’ll claim credit for everything that’s gone well, blame outside factors for everything that sucks and offer barely any actual policies that will help those who need it most. 

rumours he will cut fuel duty and maybe other stuff like raising threshold when start paying NI and increasing certain benefits. He does actually have more money to spend if he wants, but his priority seems to be reducing the deficit and debt....and as Starmer says maybe he wants to get the harmful stuff out of the way now and then bring in a tax cut before next election. Also...on top of this looks like inflation is going to continue to rise and isn't dropping anytime soon.

Edited by steviewevie