news & politics:discussion

zahidf

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

isn't national insurance less fair than income tax...so increasing one whilst decreasing the other just increases unfairness?

pensioners don't pay NI and pensioners also vote.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Aye, I have a friend who is on PIP - her energy bills are going up but no change to her benefits, going to suck so hard for her and countless other disabled people 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

I have no idea how these people are going to survive this to be honest.  But its not like the government has an endless pot of money either 😞 

could've announced a windfall tax on energy companies who will probably make bank from this. Green New Deal could create a lot of jobs + help insulate homes which will help keep heating costs down

2 minutes ago, Haan said:

could've announced a windfall tax on energy companies who will probably make bank from this. Green New Deal could create a lot of jobs + help insulate homes which will help keep heating costs down

also...he does have extra money, right? growth had been more than expected or something? but he decided to save it for a promised tax cut in 2024 for purely political reasons the horrible little bastard.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Haan said:

We also borrowing money off the Bank of England which essentially means we owe the money to ourselves. We can borrow more if need be.

We can also tax the high earners more, tax landlords more but they won’t do that because they are the Tories mates. 

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We also borrowing money off the Bank of England which essentially means we owe the money to ourselves. We can borrow more if need be.

That's inflationary though as we are finding out. The QE money should be unwound and either paid off or sold into the debt markets. Very little justification for it with inflation at 6 - 7% 

Different energy companies I believe? personally I'd rather they invested their profits in new projects to try to reduce our reliance on the Russians/Saudi's.