news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, lost said:

Different energy companies I believe? personally I'd rather they invested their profits in new projects to try to reduce our reliance on the Russians/Saudi's.

surely customer demand drives where they invest their profits.

Anyway, there are no easy answers to where the money comes from to help people pay for these massive price hikes, but energy companies are making a shit load at the moment...so a windfall tax on that seems perfectly reasonable to me...

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

surely customer demand drives where they invest their profits.

Well this is the issue. It doesn't actually seem that long ago oil prices turned negative in lockdown so projects were probably being shelved as uneconomic back then.

Anyway, there are no easy answers to where the money comes from to help people pay for these massive price hikes, but energy companies are making a shit load at the moment...so a windfall tax on that seems perfectly reasonable to me...

I thought loads of energy companies were all going under because they were being forced to buy energy for more than they could sell it for due to the cap.

As I said different energy companies.

Edited by lost

58 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

D:Ream should get back together and do a song called Things Are Going To Get Worse.

Seem to recall D:Ream keyboard player turned TV star Prof Brian Cox doing a skit on one of Charlie Brooker's shows saying that Things Can Only Get Better is misleading and scientifically inaccurate, and that things get worse... so he's gone halfway there.

I turn 30 later this year and I genuinely cannot remember the last time the economy was anything other than looking like a total mess. Seems like since the first sign of financial industry trouble with the fall of Northern Rock in 2007 that it's been one long shitstorm.

Equally, I'm not sure any Chancellor would be any good at dealing with this litany of problems in a way to please the majority of people, but it does read like Rishi Sunak was doing a mini-budget for his political advantage rather than necessarily anyone else's.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Seem to recall D:Ream keyboard player turned TV star Prof Brian Cox doing a skit on one of Charlie Brooker's shows saying that Things Can Only Get Better is misleading and scientifically inaccurate, and that things get worse... so he's gone halfway there.

Entropy

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If Sunak was anywhere near a savvy politician he would’ve quit as Chancellor back in January over Partygate. 

it's going to be rough for many...but tories will love some of that...promises of income tax cut...cuts on fuel duty...none of that silly spending on benefits stuff...it's all about the next election...but maybe their calculations will be very wrong.

33 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That only applies to people on the standard tariff.   You don't think they will factor this into future fixed price deals etc?  

If the fixed fixed price deals include a argh they've taxed us top up they won't be a good deal compared with the standard tariff.

Anyway you do this in conversation with the companies, we are imposing a one off windfall tax as your profits are huge when people are struggling to heat their homes, if your response to this is to raise prices further it won't be a one off.

7 hours ago, mcshed said:

If the fixed fixed price deals include a argh they've taxed us top up they won't be a good deal compared with the standard tariff.

Anyway you do this in conversation with the companies, we are imposing a one off windfall tax as your profits are huge when people are struggling to heat their homes, if your response to this is to raise prices further it won't be a one off.

Aren't we talking the big boys like BP and Shell, not the smaller providers?