news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 hours ago, steviewevie said:

That was the case before the invasion...but maybe by reiterating it he is showing the start of what could be a negotiated settlement.

Wouldn’t this be letting Putin get his way though? It’s such a hard situation all round. 

48 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Wouldn’t this be letting Putin get his way though? It’s such a hard situation all round. 

It would let him look like he got a win so he could climb down and this could end...there was no real chance of Ukraine joining anytime soon anyway.

Edited by steviewevie

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

It would let him look like he got a win so he could climb down and this could end...there was no real chance of Ukraine joining anytime soon anyway.

Oh yeah I know but surely one of our aims shouldn’t be to allow Putin to save face? Whatever happened to justice for what he’s done. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh yeah I know but surely one of our aims shouldn’t be to allow Putin to save face? Whatever happened to justice for what he’s done. 

well, the choice is Russia is defeated, there is some sort of coup and Putin is kicked out, Ukraine is defeated and surrenders, or there is a negotiated agreement that ends the war...can't see either side being defeated without a lot more carnage, and Putin is probably safe for now...but I think there will be pressure on him to negotiate an end to this, but he won't if it looks like he lost. Unless they're going to fight to the bloody death there has to be compromises leading to an agreement, and that probably means Ukraine agreeing to drop wanting to join Nato, Russia keeping Crimea and maybe Donbas...but Ukraine remains an independent sovreign country. The complicated bit could be Ukraine wanting to join EU.

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, the choice is Russia is defeated, there is some sort of coup and Putin is kicked out, Ukraine is defeated and surrenders, or there is a negotiated agreement that ends the war...can't see either side being defeated without a lot more carnage, and Putin is probably safe for now...but I think there will be pressure on him to negotiate an end to this, but he won't if it looks like he lost. Unless they're going to fight to the bloody death there has to be compromises leading to an agreement, and that probably means Ukraine agreeing to drop wanting to join Nato, Russia keeping Crimea and maybe Donbas...but Ukraine remains an independent sovreign country. The complicated bit could be Ukraine wanting to join EU.

I think this is the only way really. It sucks for Ukraine and everyone would love to see the end of Putin, but the longer the war goes on the more innocent people die so it's a pragmatic solution. Could the EU stuff be kicked into the long grass for a bit? Putin was more focused on Nato wasn't he?

Seems to be a lot more emphasis on talks in the news now so maybe tide is turning.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think this is the only way really. It sucks for Ukraine and everyone would love to see the end of Putin, but the longer the war goes on the more innocent people die so it's a pragmatic solution. Could the EU stuff be kicked into the long grass for a bit? Putin was more focused on Nato wasn't he?

Seems to be a lot more emphasis on talks in the news now so maybe tide is turning.

You guys are right and maybe I’m just in a bad mood today but I’m so demoralised by people doing the wrong thing and never feeling any major repercussions for their actions. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

So, is there no alternative to buying oil from that thug twat Putin or that thug twat Mohammed bin Salman?

I dunno if its true but I read a stat elsewhere that 80% of the worlds population live in areas where conditions are not right for either solar or wind power. If it is I'm guessing alternatives are a no-go to become the primary power source without a massive jump forward in technological know how.

I wasn't around during the 70's oil crisis when the arab countries ganged up on the west due to their support of Israel, but I'm guessing the fact the U.S has troops in Saudi Arabia and are happy to prop up that regime despite 9/11 that they see the alternative to a society that has access to cheap fossil fuels as much worse at this moment in time.

5 minutes ago, lost said:

I dunno if its true but I read a stat elsewhere that 80% of the worlds population live in areas where conditions are not right for either solar or wind power. If it is I'm guessing alternatives are a no-go to become the primary power source without a massive jump forward in technological know how.

I wasn't around during the 70's oil crisis when the arab countries ganged up on the west due to their support of Israel, but I'm guessing the fact the U.S has troops in Saudi Arabia and are happy to prop up that regime despite 9/11 that they see the alternative to a society that has access to cheap fossil fuels as much worse at this moment in time.

Not sure US relies that much on Saudi Arabia oil, it has it's own....I think main point of Johnson's visit is to try and do something about oil prices.

Not sure about that solar/wind power thing...I thought we weren't quite there with the technology yet, but we're getting there. We have to get off fossil fuels, so it's renewables and nuclear for the latter half of the century...but the transition to this is going to be difficult....but Vlad may have accelerated this...

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not sure US relies that much on Saudi Arabia oil, it has it's own....

I think its more complicated than that. Its the types of oil, light vs heavy, the cost of getting it out of the ground and the cost of refining it.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Masks work...

yep , she was hoping lack of masks in england would have covid go big, while scotland was more cautious and less reckless.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

and as it turns out it was utterly wrong and she has doubled down on being wrong...  You can't stop covid - vaccines is the answer not masks.

shes done what she likes to do which is create a divide with England so there's a difference to be noticed.

26 minutes ago, Neil said:

shes done what she likes to do which is create a divide with England so there's a difference to be noticed.

or she's just following advice as there is a rise in cases in Scotland (as there is in England but let's not mention that).

Covid isn't over...look at Hong Kong...will never be over, we have a new infectious disease that will kill a percentage of the population every year...