news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Cheers. Not sure if Putin would care so much which Nato partner supplied them? I don't really get why supplying planes so much worse from an escalation point of view than all the other stuff we've provided? Is that a red line?

I assume it's an offensive vs defensive thing. Being able to hurt Russians before they even get to Ukraine. That's my guess anyway. 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, getting more and more difficult for Nato to keep out of it...as western populations are appalled what they're seeing on tv and want their governments do more...and western governments not wanting to start WW3.

Speaking of which, a fucking children's hospital FFS.

43 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Should be said that even before Brexit the situation wouldn't have been any different.  We aren't part of schengen for this reason.

I think we should and could be doing more - but the concept of just throwing open the borders would be a bad one.  These checks need to happen - we should just be doing them quicker.

These people are safe.  They aren't stuck in Ukraine.  This is an issue of speeding up due process and not keeping people safe.  They aren't the same thing.

Ireland

On 3/8/2022 at 8:05 PM, steviewevie said:

Need Xi to have a word.

Given his designs on Taiwan, I’m not sure he’d have much to say. 

6 hours ago, Ozanne said:

More fucking ashamed to be British every day. 

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Should be said that even before Brexit the situation wouldn't have been any different.  We aren't part of schengen for this reason.

I think we should and could be doing more - but the concept of just throwing open the borders would be a bad one.  These checks need to happen - we should just be doing them quicker.

These people are safe.  They aren't stuck in Ukraine.  This is an issue of speeding up due process and not keeping people safe.  They aren't the same thing.

A “surge” is more than 3 people and some crisps. Like you say, we should be doing more. Unfortunately the “hostile environment” Tory home office doesn’t want to do more. 

7 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Given his designs on Taiwan, I’m not sure he’d have much to say. 

More fucking ashamed to be British every day. 

A “surge” is more than 3 people and some crisps. Like you say, we should be doing more. Unfortunately the “hostile environment” Tory home office doesn’t want to do more. 

It’s classic behaviour from the Tories, they don’t really want people coming over here so will put as difficult a proposition together as they can but just enough of one so they can claim they are offering people help. It’s disgraceful, we should be doing so much more. 

9 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It’s classic behaviour from the Tories, they don’t really want people coming over here so will put as difficult a proposition together as they can but just enough of one so they can claim they are offering people help. It’s disgraceful, we should be doing so much more. 

Labour's policy isn't much different is it? Maybe it's the idea that British people can't have open door immigration again since Brexit...even if they're escaping war.

i'm dubious about this hospital attack, "killing babies", is old war propaganda, in WW1 it was Germans eating babies in Belgium, in the gulf war it was Saddam throwing babies out of incubators (since proven as 100% lie).

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'm dubious about this hospital attack, "killing babies", is old war propaganda, in WW1 it was Germans eating babies in Belgium, in the gulf war it was Saddam throwing babies out of incubators (since proven as 100% lie).

Same thing crossed my mind. I believe it happened but I don't believe the line of "they did it deliberately and indiscriminately". In Iraq we'd have called it "necessary accidental collateral damage" or accused the enemy of using civilians as human shields.

I have a feeling this won't be a popular opinion though...

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Same thing crossed my mind. I believe it happened but I don't believe the line of "they did it deliberately and indiscriminately". In Iraq we'd have called it "necessary accidental collateral damage" or accused the enemy of using civilians as human shields.

Just look at what Russia did in Grozny and Aleppo. They have form.

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

i'd say we're being softened up for greater involvement, if they're killing babies, "something must be done!!!"

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'd say we're being softened up for greater involvement, if they're killing babies, "something must be done!!!"

Yep - we're going to be involved, but the people are the ones who make the ultimate sacrifices, both in terms of actually dying there and vastly reduced quality of life/wartime measures.  So it needs people supporting and even demanding it to happen. Then when the reality hits and they start complaining that they don't actually want to be involved in a war, they can be told they asked for it.