news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

So with the HoC shutting down for recess soon, is the Major speech designed to give them something to think about and keep the rebellion fires burning?

Or will it be the equivalent of the Bury South MP crossing the floor, which seemed to have the opposite effect on the tory MPs and instead galvanised them in defending Johnson?

i think it depends on whatever photos come up. Bojo is a busted flush, but if the Tories want to ruin their own electoral chances by hanging onto him..

7 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Yup  - see link below.  

Also a telly thread and film one too. And Scotish Indy thread to boot.

I'd much prefer we all used the Discussions forums, as have no interest in the Glasto side of things and you guys have loads of threads for that.

Finally, Ozanne is getting picky about Covid discussion sneaking in, but is more than happy for posts / tweets about Bojo breaking covid rules. 🤷‍♂️

Fair comment and I’m also probably equally as guilty tbh so happily I’ll hold my hands up .. finding a difference between politics and covid is quite tough at the moment when quite a lot directly relates back to it .. 

2 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

Don't post on here often, but read it every day.

Can't sit by and watch @Ozanne getting picked on for doing little other than make a polite 'point of order' request without my saying something. Fray and Barry today, but also others over a long period of time on this and the 'shit' thread, have shown that Ozanne just being Ozanne gets under their skin. Fair enough, not everyone gets on with everyone else, but when it happens with Ozanne it quickly deteriorates into macho bullying bullshit of this variety:

For what it's worth, I've always thought that Ozanne's posting of pro-Starmer material has a humorous edge to it and I'd much rather he continued posting his material than not. When he's been challenged about it he does explain things, but it would appear it's never enough to satisfy those for who it causes a problem.

I also agree with @Zoo Music Girlabout the tenor of the general debate on the darkside covid thread, which is why I finally gave up reading it at the end of last year, and find it tedious to see it being replicated here. I find this thread on most days to be an incredibly useful collection of the day's political happenings and there have been many articles and links that I've enjoyed and would have missed otherwise, especially on big news days.

Keep at it Ozanne, I can't say I agree with everything you say, but I continue to enjoy your contributions.

Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. I do try to be polite, sometimes I don’t always manage that but I always try to discuss here in good faith. As you say I raised my points earlier in a polite manner, those people will always jump on what I say but thank you for the support. I’m glad you enjoy my contributions.

1 hour ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Well said. I don't agree with everything Ozanne posts, but I believe he posts sincerely and I enjoy the debate it triggers. The treatment he gets from some, and two in particular, is appalling. It is bullying, and if you cant see that, then it's probably you.

Thank you as well for the kind words.

50 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Politics is part of Glastonbury...I enjoy popping into Left Field and Speakers Forum when I'm between bands for example. Don't see the problem with having diverse threads on a forum to do with the festival?

I agree, this thread is a good place for Glasto goers to discuss politics. I don’t personally see a need to move this thread, I guess as someone else said if you don’t want to see the discussion then just ignore the thread. For the most part the discussion in here is decent and informative with people discussing things in good faith which I hope continues.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Would have been nice to see Bojo kicked out before this thread was killed.

There was some confidence on here that he'd be gone by Glastonbury...people still so sure?!

I reckon 70% chance he'll still be PM.

Sadly, I agree, I think he might be here until the next GE. The crooked Met will charge and fine a whole bunch of people over PartyGate, but wont directly charge Boris so he will pass the buck, claim he's cleaned up the mess, move on "nothing to see here". After that I think it depends how bad the cost of living crisis gets and how strong Labour perform in the local elections. 

8 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Sadly, I agree, I think he might be here until the next GE. The crooked Met will charge and fine a whole bunch of people over PartyGate, but wont directly charge Boris so he will pass the buck, claim he's cleaned up the mess, move on "nothing to see here". After that I think it depends how bad the cost of living crisis gets and how strong Labour perform in the local elections. 

The locals will be interesting as these are the seats that Labour did well in back in 2018 so there are more for Labour to defend than Tories to lose. 

Edited by Ozanne

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

woah...just like that. Seamless.

WITHOUT THE MAIN WEBSITE  to work on, i'm not stupidly overworked right now, normally i don't feel like i have time to brearthe at this time of year.

3 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

Don't post on here often, but read it every day.

Can't sit by and watch @Ozanne getting picked on for doing little other than make a polite 'point of order' request without my saying something. Fray and Barry today, but also others over a long period of time on this and the 'shit' thread, have shown that Ozanne just being Ozanne gets under their skin. Fair enough, not everyone gets on with everyone else, but when it happens with Ozanne it quickly deteriorates into macho bullying bullshit of this variety:

For what it's worth, I've always thought that Ozanne's posting of pro-Starmer material has a humorous edge to it and I'd much rather he continued posting his material than not. When he's been challenged about it he does explain things, but it would appear it's never enough to satisfy those for who it causes a problem.

I also agree with @Zoo Music Girlabout the tenor of the general debate on the darkside covid thread, which is why I finally gave up reading it at the end of last year, and find it tedious to see it being replicated here. I find this thread on most days to be an incredibly useful collection of the day's political happenings and there have been many articles and links that I've enjoyed and would have missed otherwise, especially on big news days.

Keep at it Ozanne, I can't say I agree with everything you say, but I continue to enjoy your contributions.

100% agree with this. Thread is a total binfire today. No idea why people have to attack each other personally so much.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

100% agree with this. Thread is a total binfire today. No idea why people have to attack each other personally so much.

Couple of years of sniping at each other and no Glastonbury to bring joy. 

At least this area of the forum is easily avoided for those who don’t want to see it. 

28 minutes ago, Neil said:

good point, moved. 

Nice one.  I'll still pop in and read this thread here sometimes... it's good to read peoples takes on the news/events of the day.

But the Glastonbury Chat forum does look better with only posts about Glastonbury!

And there's less chance of newbies stumbling across all the bitching that doesn't belong in a Glastonbury forum at all, to be honest. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Couple of years of sniping at each other and no Glastonbury to bring joy. 

At least this area of the forum is easily avoided for those who don’t want to see it. 

Yeah that's fair enough to move it. Problem for me is I like the main forum but find it hard to get involved when I'm not going to the festival this year, but people who are going don't really need this shit.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that's fair enough to move it. Problem for me is I like the main forum but find it hard to get involved when I'm not going to the festival this year, but people who are going don't really need this shit.

Are you just ticketless or are you not trying this year? 🙂