news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

This whole fucking thread needs moving to discussions or wherever, cos despite the title it's got fuck all to do with Glastonbury and we've an actual festival to get excited about again. 

I think its fine here myself: it's clearly marked and people can avoid it if they want to stick to festival stuff

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

This whole fucking thread needs moving to discussions or wherever, cos despite the title it's got fuck all to do with Glastonbury and we've an actual festival to get excited about again. 

Bye Glasto politics thread.

Hello Glastonbury!! 😄😄😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

agreed. Politics is finished anyway, democracy is dead, the Tory's won, they completed it. Supreme Leader Johnson.

11 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I agree, especially as the future King Charles has got it again. No cuddles for Camilla 😉

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:
9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yep I agree @Neil do you think it’s a good time ? 

Politics is part of Glastonbury...I enjoy popping into Left Field and Speakers Forum when I'm between bands for example. Don't see the problem with having diverse threads on a forum to do with the festival?

56 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well they can both be true...  Let me expand...

If France has an overall up take of 90% and we have an overall up take of 70% (made up for this example) but our 70% is made up of the vulnerable and elderly and France is made up of mostly the young then even though we have a lower percentage we have a better protected population overall.

And this is actually the reality...

France did down the Oxford vaccine and put everything into the other vaccines.  But this caused them to have terribly low vaccination rates.  The only "caught up" when they quickly expanded into the younger demographic.  So what you have in France is a much younger profile within their vaccine profile.  Where as we have a much heavier vaccination of the older demographic here.  

Not sure if I am explaining it well but its why the UK is finding itself in a much better overall position.

Your OP stated the UK has the "best" vaccination record for vulnerable individuals: "we have the best uptake in the world for the vulnerable and older people having had the vaccine."

It went on to state we are better than "almost" every country in terms of vaccination of vulnerable individuals: "key is how many at risk people have had the vaccine and we beat almost every other country in that regards."

I was just pointing out those two statements are contradictory, and symptomatic of the way you generalise in order to strengthen your arguments whether what you are saying is accurate or not. 

Just now, Kurosagi said:

Politics is part of Glastonbury...I enjoy popping into Left Field and Speakers Forum when I'm between bands for example. Don't see the problem with having diverse threads on a forum to do with the festival?

Oh it's not a problem, it's only a forum after all. 

Its not a hill I'm arsed about dying on, just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Agree but the better side of the forum is around the excitement and build up to a bloody amazing festival … hands up some of the discussion today raised a topic that also caused a bit of disagreement but some threads get moved because there are other places on the forum more suitable … This thread provokes strong feeling and maybe that’s not showing the better side of this forum to new people joining . 

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

Oh it's not a problem, it's only a forum after all. 

Its not a hill I'm arsed about dying on, just my opinion. 

Felt it needed raising because the US politics thread was shut down for similar reasons last year.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

but some threads get moved because there are other places on the forum more suitable

It's cold and lonely outside the festival wall...

The closer we get to the gates opening we will be having multitudes of threads discussing everything from the moisture levels in the grass to what filling to have in our Yorkshire pudding wraps. 

This thread will probably get hidden in the literally 100s of more relevant Glasto themed topics. 

That will be when it’s time for this thread to be placed in a sub forum where it won’t get lost. 

4 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Felt it needed raising because the US politics thread was shut down for similar reasons last year.

It's cold and lonely outside the festival wall...

Yeah it’s just we are pretty close to an actual festival happening … and the build up is bloody good fun 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

The closer we get to the gates opening we will be having multitudes of threads discussing everything from the moisture levels in the grass to what filling to have in our Yorkshire pudding wraps. 

This thread will probably get hidden in the literally 100s of more relevant Glasto themed topics. 

That will be when it’s time for this thread to be placed in a sub forum where it won’t get lost. 

There is already a politics thread that exists in sub forums isn’t there ? 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well ignoring the usual snide personal attack you like to do while pretending your shit doesn't smell...

I am almost certain the UK actually does have the best vaccine profile in the world but forgive me a small "maybe" there is another country or two with as good as profile.

No snide attack. I've been nothing but upfront so definitely not snide. If you perceive an attack because an inaccuracy has been noted, that's about you, not me. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Covid is part of Politics...

You can't make the case for one and not the other.

Oh Barry.

I never made the above argument. I actually made the exact opposite argument:

"Personally I don't have a problem with a combination thread"

Which I believe to be consistent with my arguing for keeping diverse threads, such as politics (covid or otherwise), within the Glastonbury part of the forum.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think so although there’s always been a politics thread popping up occasionally in this part of the forums but that’s always been Glastonbury specific politics although we’ve never had a Glastonbury while we’ve had Spaffer in charge so this is new ground. 

So with the HoC shutting down for recess soon, is the Major speech designed to give them something to think about and keep the rebellion fires burning?

Or will it be the equivalent of the Bury South MP crossing the floor, which seemed to have the opposite effect on the tory MPs and instead galvanised them in defending Johnson?

6 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

So with the HoC shutting down for recess soon, is the Major speech designed to give them something to think about and keep the rebellion fires burning?

Or will it be the equivalent of the Bury South MP crossing the floor, which seemed to have the opposite effect on the tory MPs and instead galvanised them in defending Johnson?

who knows. I think Johnson is ok for now..his allies and whips have done what they need to do to keep enough MPs on side...the only thing that could change that is if police slap a big fine on Johnson for all those parties, and/or enough MPs feel that they could lose their seat if Johnson still there.

33 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yup  - see link below.  

Also a telly thread and film one too. And Scotish Indy thread to boot.

I'd much prefer we all used the Discussions forums, as have no interest in the Glasto side of things and you guys have loads of threads for that.

Finally, Ozanne is getting picky about Covid discussion sneaking in, but is more than happy for posts / tweets about Bojo breaking covid rules. 🤷‍♂️