news & politics:discussion

zahidf

32 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Two other things I saw yesterday, and I wish I could find links to them,  was a senior NHS leader saying they are ready for this change and one of the professors around the oxford Vaccine also saying the UK is well positioned to do this with 98% of the population now thought to have antibodies either from previous infection / vaccines or both.  And we have the best uptake in the world for the vulnerable and older people having had the vaccine.  Some countries might have higher overall number vaccinated but what is key is how many at risk people have had the vaccine and we beat almost every other country in that regards.

This women is a SNP politician - which should also be put alongside her DR tag for context.  And we all know the games nasty Nicky is playing along with the political lobby group Indy Sage and their political scientists.

The problem you have @crazyfool1 is you seek out only one side of this debate and scare yourself and others.   You are being played mate. 

Very much I can see both sides of a debate … I put forward things from my perspective though but thanks . I put this alongside no sign of our medical people and others coming out alongside Boris and supporting this I don’t think anyone called crazyfool commenting on this topic scares anyone . 

39 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Proper sick pay seems like a no brainer as it would help contain all sorts of bugs if unwell staff just stayed home. There is a constant battle to increase cleanliness standards in hospitals and more mask wearing and better ventilation may be added to the fight against hospital acquired infections. Yearly booster vaccines for the vulnerable? I really don't know the answers but the conversation has to move on from restrictions to what is permanently acceptable.

Totally agree … no calls for physical restrictions for me … I supported opening up . .. as you say it’s a difficult balance to achieve …I just think the balance has swayed too far based on politics and saving Boris skin and away from the science and health benefits 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

… no calls for physical restrictions for me 

is from me, i like the wife having to stay home with covid cos i just got a full english, that's not sexist: she has to do that for me, as i'm not safe to do cooking with one hand. can just about put a coffee on.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Totally agree … no calls for physical restrictions for me … I supported opening up . .. as you say it’s a difficult balance to achieve …I just think the balance has swayed too far based on politics and saving Boris skin and away from the science and health benefits 

How would you feel if you were positive for covid but totally symptomless plus ur 3 vaccines and you had tickets to Glastonbury a few days later? 

Just now, Neil said:

is from me, i like the wife having to stay home with covid cos i just got a full english, that's not sexist: she has to do that for me, as i'm not safe to do cooking with one hand. can just about put a coffee on.

That’s tough neil and tough for people that care for others to make decisions like that with the high prevelance of the virus in society . Hope she manages to stay clear or if she does get it she’s aysymptomatic 

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

How would you feel if you were positive for covid but totally symptomless plus ur 3 vaccines and you had tickets to Glastonbury a few days later? 

Extremely pissed off … even mortified … that’s why I’d do all I could not to test positive in the lead up .. but life can be shit and I’d live with it … always going to be more Glastonbury’s 

12 hours ago, Ozanne said:

A majority of the public back calls for a windfall tax on energy firms, of course the government won’t do it because it would be money away from the big firms but good to see the public want it. 

The Tory/energy company argument against it is that they use their profits to invest in renewable energy.

Not sure why we couldn't have a windfall tax that allows for that, a bit like how Americans can reduce their tax by making charitable donations. i.e if make £500 million profits, if you invest £300 million in renewables then you get taxed x% on the remaining £200 million, but if you make £500 million profit and then use it to pay dividends to investors then you get taxed x% on the full £500 million.

I suppose the only downside is if discouraging paying investors might be bad for pensions.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I said it was a risk and still supported it 

Does this thread have to be taken up again with you and Barry arguing about Covid? This isn’t the Covid thread, please can you take this to that thread and leave the Covid chat out of here. Thanks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Extremely pissed off … even mortified … that’s why I’d do all I could not to test positive in the lead up .. but life can be shit and I’d live with it … always going to be more Glastonbury’s 

So if they removed the legal need to isolate but left it up to the individual would you miss glasto while having no symptoms but testing positive? Genuine question

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

That’s tough neil and tough for people that care for others to make decisions like that with the high prevelance of the virus in society . Hope she manages to stay clear or if she does get it she’s aysymptomatic 

thanks, she has mild-ish symptoms, so does step daughter, despite spending time around both i keep testing negative, 🙂

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Does this thread have to be taken up again with you and Barry arguing about Covid? This isn’t the Covid thread, please can you take this to that thread and leave the Covid chat out of here. Thanks. 

Political decision … to release restrictions very much comes under politics …. Thanks anyway . 

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

So if they removed the legal need to isolate but left it up to the individual would you miss glasto while having no symptoms but testing positive? Genuine question

Yeah I honestly think I would .. I’m still testing despite there being no actual requirement …  

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Political decision … to release restrictions very much comes under politics …. Thanks anyway . 

It’s Covid related so should really be in the Covid thread. Politics chat was moved out of the old one as people didn’t want to see that discussion, it goes the other way too. Please can you take the Covid chat to the correct thread, plenty of people don’t want to see it in here. 

• Downvote 4

Just now, Ozanne said:

It’s Covid related so should really be in the Covid thread. Politics chat was moved out of the old one as people didn’t want to see that discussion, it goes the other way too. Please can you take the Covid chat to the correct thread, plenty of people don’t want to see it in here. 

Thanks admin 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I suppose the only downside is if discouraging paying investors might be bad for pensions.

dividends is savings money, so not considered inflationary like wage rises,

On 1/23/2022 at 1:17 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

This thread is so depressing. Is there any way for people to discuss politics without constantly getting personal and sniping at each other? I would have thought so, but this seems to be going the way of the Covid thread.

In the wise words of ZMG, can this thread not become the Covid one. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

In the wise words of ZMG, can this thread not become the Covid one. 

I’ve been talking about a political decision by Boris … sometimes there is a cross over or can you not see that ? Nowt heated from any of us … I’m sat with feet up with my cocoa