news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes it’s harmless, I don’t think it makes people dickheads or knobs or whatever.

Let’s be nice or show empathy.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually don't think it's harmless as the bow and scrape to your betters mentality is a huge part of what's wrong with this country. But I can tell people aren't really up for the republican debate today so maybe not the time for it.

Yeah this was what I meant

23 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

So much of this is going to be about being seen to do the thing rather than just doing the thing because that's how you feel. 

Absolutely this. There is no other reason for Wimpy to tweet its condolences or Sky Bet for example to have the message front and centre of their betting platform. It's hugely embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually don't think it's harmless as the bow and scrape to your betters mentality is a huge part of what's wrong with this country. But I can tell people aren't really up for the republican debate today so maybe not the time for it.

Well yeah in that regards you have a point, I was more talking about people investing in the Queen emotionally but I see what you mean. But generally speaking I think there’s much more wrong with this country than the average person liking the Royals.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Well yeah in that regards you have a point, I was more talking about people investing in the Queen emotionally but I see what you mean. But generally speaking I think there’s much more wrong with this country than the average person liking the Royals.

It's a symptom of a wider problem.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, lost said:

There's also the fact that she's done her job for 70 years to a standard that most of our politicians couldn't get anywhere near. Even getting out of bed less than 48 hours before she died to make sure it got done.

True, it just seems wrong to rely  on an accident of birth for that to happen though. I mean plenty of her predecessors were just as "qualified" but were terrible. And there's nothing stopping another terrible one getting the top job.

43 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If you step back it's all kind of interesting, how the constitution works and all the procedures that we go through now when monarch dies...but also what having a monarch as head of state means, especially one seemingly as non political and opaque as Elizabeth was, and how ridiculous it is, but how we either love it, or hate it, or mostly are indifferent to it, so it remains. It is what we're all about it seems, it is our national anthem, it represents us to the world. How different it would be if we had a president Liz Truss as our head of state.

the monarchy stands up to most people  as soon as you mention president blair.

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure its totally that...  Its about respect for leadership at a lot of levels...

When Boris nearly died I felt a strange sense of worry etc.  I would have felt sadness if he had died.  Couldn't disagree with him more in terms of policy but the people that lead us matter.  I would have felt the same no matter what their politics is.  Its the same with the Queen as a republican.  Its not really bowing and scraping to our betters.

You still believe Boris "nearly died"?

42 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't believe in God or the monarchy so it's a no from me. Wake me up when it's over.

6music is on but doing the sad songs only, let's all be sad thing. Not sure how much I can hack of it.

even radio 4 isn't too bad. i had to turn it off when phil died, i had to turn it off yesterday arvo, today its been ok.

6 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Mrs SheffJeffs views on the matter: "I just don't get why everyone's so invested and upset about an old lady they've never met before dying"... so far so good... "though it's probably how I'll feel when Britney Spears dies." 

Great input love.

its not about real sadness its about virtue signalling, doing what you think others expect from you.

8 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Mrs SheffJeffs views on the matter: "I just don't get why everyone's so invested and upset about an old lady they've never met before dying"... so far so good... "though it's probably how I'll feel when Britney Spears dies." 

Great input love.

Tbf I’d probably feel sad when Britney dies. 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

its not about real sadness its about virtue signalling, doing what you think others expect from you.

Completely true.

Virtue signalling is becoming a real problem, people are finding it difficult to express an alternative opinion to that which is expected. It's shutting down reasonable debate.

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Completely true.

Virtue signalling is becoming a real problem, people are finding it difficult to express an alternative opinion to that which is expected. It's shutting down reasonable debate.

The use of that phrase is well past its sell by date tbh and I'm surprised to see it taken from the mail and express comment pages (yes I've sunk to terrible depths) and carried into here. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/20/virtue-signalling-putdown-passed-sell-by-date

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I had plans to go to the pub later to meet some friends. Am I allowed to carry on as normal? Will the pub even be open?

I’m happy I had the day booked off work, the conversations today would be tedious. 

We were in the pub last night as our friend's band were playing upstairs. In the downstairs room they had the news on full volume all night but upstairs we danced and had fun like normal so guessing you'll probably be OK.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Charles has said a period of royal mourning from now until seven days after Elizabeth's funeral - date to be confirmed.

Is funeral going to be sooner than we think...or is this thing going to drag on for 17 days?

maybe that's just royal family mourning...not the obilgatory nation mourning sad music only thing...