Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

34 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hmmmm - you can do both.  Just cos something was released yesterday it doesn't mean it's automatically better than Dusty In Memphis.

To be fair, at no point in my post do I say that something just released is automatically better than something released decades ago.Haha.

I agree you can listen to both but I feel that some spend too much time on old records without checking out new releases.

Even worse are the ones that say that ‘music was better back then’, despite not really checking out any new stuff.

40 minutes ago, bamber said:

Again, what does that mean. I'm lost here?

You have to ask me coherent questions of make comperhedable points?

1 hour ago, bamber said:

What? I'm clueless? What is "the jingle jing jing" Sorry if I'm a bit slow here, but WTF?

Adam Curtis's next documentary to feature footage of Bamber searching for meaning in a world where there are no reassuring certainties.  Soundtrack by Burial.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Adam Curtis's next documentary to feature footage of Bamber searching for meaning in a world where there are no reassuring certainties.  Soundtrack by Burial.

This is what I don't get. Everyone out here on the internet is simultaneously so hostile and yet obtuse. I'm only here, nowhere else ,cut me some slack? I may lack familiarity with the common decorum. I don't get what the "the jingle jing jing" is. Please explain it to me or politely explain to me why I'm being dumb. No need for agro.

Edited by bamber

26 minutes ago, bamber said:

This is what I don't get. Everyone out here on the internet is simultaneously so hostile and yet obtuse. I'm only here, nowhere else ,cut me some slack? I may lack familiarity with the common decorum. I don't get what the "the jingle jing jing" is. Please explain it to me or politely explain to me why I'm being dumb. No need for agro.

I also lack the remotest idea as to what the Jingle Jing Jing is?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

19 minutes ago, bamber said:

This is what I don't get. Everyone out here on the internet is simultaneously so hostile and yet obtuse. I'm only here, nowhere else ,cut me some slack? I may lack familiarity with the common decorum. I don't get what the "the jingle jing jing" is. Please explain it to me or politely or explain to me why I'm being dumb. No need for agro.

It's a (deliberately) strained pun conflating Hugh Jass's mention of Santa Claus ('jingle bells jingling') with the hook from Jessie J's hit Price Tag ('ching cha ching').  

Any hostility you're sensing is purely imagined.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a (deliberately) strained pun conflating Hugh Jass's mention of Santa Claus ('jingle bells jingling') with the hook from Jessie J's hit Price Tag ('ching cha ching').  

Any hostility you're sensing is purely imagined.

Thank you.

Love you all

Bamber X

.Here is a possibly controversial opinion

I think music should always be about positivity, joy, dancing, smiling, it must be uplifting.

I don't like what an ex once called all that "moaney groaney" shit.

Moaning and groaning has it's place. It is just not in music.

There's a school of thought you encounter now and again that serious or weighty form / content is inherently superior to more light-hearted frothy subjects and modes - and that maybe focuses on lyrics to the exclusion of much else.

But I reckon most people enjoy both and it just depends on your mood as much as anything. 

• Upvote 1

Seems a shame to sully music with the stain of sadness while it has the propensity to bring so much joy.

I fucking love Powderfinger though, and there is not a lot of joy there. 

I was being deliberately controversial there as that is what this thread decrees.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Controversial take:  Neil Young is generally a poor to mediocre lyricist and most of his peers (e.g. Joni Mitchell) knock him into a cocked hat.

Woof.

I'm glad I'm sitting down for that.

Here's one.

The Independent newspaper last week described Tupac's album "All Eyes on Me" as the "SGT. Pepper" of Hip Hop.

I'd go further than that to say that SGT. Pepper is a bit shit and "All Eyes on Me" is something of a masterpiece.

Adam Curtis wove Tupac into "Can't get you out of my Head" (BBC) also

Life Goes on...

Edited by bamber

On 2/19/2021 at 12:32 AM, John the Moth said:

Worst Lyrics?

”walking slowly down the hall, faster than a cannonball”

But that's a great line. Obviously a drug reference. Speedin' off 'is tits ain't he.

The line "Where were you while we were getting high" kind of gives it away.

18 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Controversial take:  Neil Young is generally a poor to mediocre lyricist and most of his peers (e.g. Joni Mitchell) knock him into a cocked hat.

Most people are mediocre lyricists when compared to Joni Mitchell.

The broom in Harvest Moon always makes me giggle. What a shit instrument.

Edited by Bryanrebe
Used shit twice. Twasn't classy.