Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

22 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

My top 5 power ballads. I adhere to a fairly strict definition of what a power ballad is, and here goes:

5.  Sister Christian - Night Ranger

4.  Fly to the Angels - Slaughter

3.  What You Give - Tesla

2.  Estranged - Guns N' Roses

1.  What It Takes - Aerosmith

no Skid Row - i remember you? or Motley Crue - home sweet home? ffs man! 

Estranged though 😎 and Sister Christian is an INSPIRED choice

35 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

My top 5 power ballads. I adhere to a fairly strict definition of what a power ballad is, and here goes:

5.  Sister Christian - Night Ranger

4.  Fly to the Angels - Slaughter

3.  What You Give - Tesla

2.  Estranged - Guns N' Roses

1.  What It Takes - Aerosmith

*Tips hat*

Possibly the first time any of the bands 3 to 5 have been mentioned on these boards.

Night Ranger were shite though.

25 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Would this qualify as a power ballard?

I would say no. For me, a power ballad exists in the context of the artists general output. When they usually produce hard rockers, and then have one slow song that ends up being their biggest hit. I also count Aerosmith's Dream On as the origin of the power ballad in 1973.

In the context of what Joe Cocker usually did, this is not much of a deviation for him, and its more of a blues rave-up than a ballad.

Still, nice tune.

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Nah. It's certainly not close enough to be a copy.

The whole album does reek of Born to Run (the album) but I would say that's down to the Roy Bittan connection. He's the MVP on both albums. If Loaf had someone else on keys, it would bear minimal resemblance.

Plz take this to the 'Well informed music opinion' thread

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Rap should probably be off limits because it’s absolutely full of clunkers, but this one from Eminem always irked me:

‘Now you get to watch her leave out the window, guess that's why they call it window pane…’

Although when it comes to Eminem you can probably pick any lyric of his from the last 20 years at random and it’ll fit the bill. 

One of my absolute favourite UK rappers, Giggs, has some stinkers. This is probably my favourite. 

‘Shit’s Madagascar, when the monkeys made a poo scatter’ 

He also mentions his ‘Willy’ a lot too. Which I guess is the British equivalent of American rappers talking about their dick. A true British icon, really. 

Just now, gsansom said:

Several years before McCartney should have. 😉

To be fair I'm not informed enough to know, havent followed them live over the years. I just recognise them as a great band, that to my ears dont sound good any more. Voice and instruments. I truly thought their pyramid performance was cringy. Old wobbly head falls into that category too (and I saw him several years ago). It pains me to say it (as hes on my all time favourites) but Stevie Wonder is also sliding into that category. Everyone has a shelf life. The back catalogue stays evergreen though.

40 minutes ago, gsansom said:

To be fair I'm not informed enough to know, havent followed them live over the years. I just recognise them as a great band, that to my ears dont sound good any more. Voice and instruments. I truly thought their pyramid performance was cringy. Old wobbly head falls into that category too (and I saw him several years ago). It pains me to say it (as hes on my all time favourites) but Stevie Wonder is also sliding into that category. Everyone has a shelf life. The back catalogue stays evergreen though.

I saw McCartney and the Stones when they last toured in 2018 and both were excellent.

9 hours ago, SheffJeff said:

Maybe it was Paul Mccartneys dad then?  Definitely saw him say that in some interview though can't remember when.

Maybe Paul thought Lennon snr was the better father so switched the credits on the birth certificates in a misjudged attempt to re-write history 🤔 

9 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Worst Lyrics?

”walking slowly down the hall, faster than a cannonball”

Best power ballad?

Kansas, Carry on Wayward Son

1. "Do you ever feel, like a plastic bag, drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?".

2. The entire words to Fireflies by Owl City.

3. That really fucking weird Kasabian album.