2021 Going ahead?

10 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You think 18+ will with the added extra 21 days settle time will be done by mid July? They might not have even started having it.

that's not a date I've made up myself, it's from pharmaceutical industry analysis.

It's worth bearing in mind that those aged 18-49 are likely to have one of the single dose vaccines, and vaccination capacity should be something like 800k+ a day before the start of May.

As long as supplies hits their given delivery dates, things are looking good for being sorted by mid-July.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Also, Sziget bring the first weekend in August has pulled the plug until next year.

what's happening in other countries is of little relevance for what happens in the UK.

I'd say Reading has a little over 20 days to confirm a yes or not and the above estimated time needs to drop massively.

Reading have said they'll give an update on 1st March.

Since they've said that, the govt has said they'll be giving a roadmap towards the end of Feb.

I can't see R/L making the decision to cancel before seeing what the roadmap says. That would be nuts.

It's not a time to waste money testing everyone going in....who knows what could be picked up inside and that many young people aren't all going to be social distancing.

lol @ "not a time to waste money testing everyone going in". Either testing is a worthwhile thing in the middle of a pandemic or its not. The cost is of little consequence.

"who knows what could be picked up inside" actually equals covid. This is about covid, nothing else.

And yes, there could be some infections caused but it's not like one person would infect all 90,000. Any single person's close contacts are actually quite small, as they'll spend most of their time surrounded by the same smallish group of friends - and if they weren't at a festival they'd spend most of their time surrounded by the same smallish group of friends.

The risks are waaaay lower than you're thinking. Whether or not they'll be low enough for the govt we'll get to find out.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

that's not a date I've made up myself, it's from pharmaceutical industry analysis.

It's worth bearing in mind that those aged 18-49 are likely to have one of the single dose vaccines, and vaccination capacity should be something like 800k+ a day before the start of May.

As long as supplies hits their given delivery dates, things are looking good for being sorted by mid-July.

what's happening in other countries is of little relevance for what happens in the UK.

Reading have said they'll give an update on 1st March.

Since they've said that, the govt has said they'll be giving a roadmap towards the end of Feb.

I can't see R/L making the decision to cancel before seeing what the roadmap says. That would be nuts.

lol @ "not a time to waste money testing everyone going in". Either testing is a worthwhile thing in the middle of a pandemic or its not. The cost is of little consequence.

"who knows what could be picked up inside" actually equals covid. This is about covid, nothing else.

And yes, there could be some infections caused but it's not like one person would infect all 90,000. Any single person's close contacts are actually quite small, as they'll spend most of their time surrounded by the same smallish group of friends - and if they weren't at a festival they'd spend most of their time surrounded by the same smallish group of friends.

The risks are waaaay lower than you're thinking. Whether or not they'll be low enough for the govt we'll get to find out.

Countries do travel to other countries festivals.

Reading will of course wait as long as possible. But I'll say now....if I'm wrong I'll put my hands up. Taking into consideration that 18 to 49s may only get a single vaccine and be done by end of middle July. I don't think they will be personally and given the 3 weeks post time but anyway. 5 weeks later you want to go from zero to 90k?

Testing is worthwhile but it's not for the sake of just getting punters through a festival door too early.

And a smallish group if friends hanging out in a general environment is much different to them hanging out around 90k. How many of the younger generation do we think are taking notice now? Don't go to close to that stage and the other people to see your favourite act even though you've spent over £250 to be there doesn't add up.

It's what risks are worth taking now rather than risks being lower. To run a festival like Reading, everyone that is of age to vaccines needs to be virtually who can be and a mass reduction in number of cases to well below a few hundred. We need to remember that the vaccine will not 100% stop it being caught as much as it will the symptoms.

To underestimate the risk of spread is foolish.

21 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Countries do travel to other countries festivals.

what Sigzet and its govt does has absolutely nothing to do with what the Uk govt does. If what other countries does counts for the UK, maybe our borders would have been shut for the last year.

Reading will of course wait as long as possible. But I'll say now....if I'm wrong I'll put my hands up. Taking into consideration that 18 to 49s may only get a single vaccine and be done by end of middle July. I don't think they will be personally and given the 3 weeks post time but anyway. 5 weeks later you want to go from zero to 90k?

you're believing only one scenario is possible.

I'm simply saying there's way more possibilities for all sorts of different reasons, and none of us have anything better than a guess, and all of us have guessed wrong about many things all the way thru.

Testing is worthwhile but it's not for the sake of just getting punters through a festival door too early.

Your opinion. 

Other opinions are available, including the govts who are currently working up a 'test & go' solution for gigs.

And a smallish group if friends hanging out in a general environment is much different to them hanging out around 90k.

by about ten people.

And if one of those extra ten did get infected at the fest, they won't reach the infectious stage to spread it to others at the fest.

There's of course a risk with big outdoor crowds but the risk is waaaay less than the scare stories you're believing - because if an infected person wasn't spreading covid at the fest they're still likely to be infecting others wherever they are.

How many of the younger generation do we think are taking notice now? Don't go to close to that stage and the other people to see your favourite act even though you've spent over £250 to be there doesn't add up.

It's what risks are worth taking now rather than risks being lower. To run a festival like Reading, everyone that is of age to vaccines needs to be virtually who can be and a mass reduction in number of cases to well below a few hundred. We need to remember that the vaccine will not 100% stop it being caught as much as it will the symptoms.

To underestimate the risk of spread is foolish.

only your scared take of the risks counts? lol. Other more informed views are available.

By August the risk of death from catching covid should be minimal even for the oldies, and definitely not for a Reading crowd.

In August the risk of catching covid when outdoors is tiny (compared to middle of winter and indoors).

Who knew that winter respiratory viruses happen almost exclusively in ... erm... winter? And if covid isn't killing oldies next winter, 'flu will be - without any measures for that at all.

The govt might choose to be as cautious as possible and not open up fully until after next winter - but that's not what Whitty has been suggesting for quite a few months.

And this govt hasn't done cautious at any point so far.

Edited by eFestivals

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

what Sigzet and its govt does has absolutely nothing to do with what the Uk govt does. If what other countries does counts for the UK, maybe our borders would have been shut for the last year.

you're believing only one scenario is possible.

I'm simply saying there's way more possibilities for all sorts of different reasons, and none of us have anything better than a guess, and all of us have guessed wrong about many things all the way thru.

Your opinion. 

Other opinions are available, including the govts who are currently working up a 'test & go' solution for gigs.

by about ten people.

And if one of those extra ten did get infected at the fest, they won't reach the infectious stage to spread it to others at the fest.

There's of course a risk with big outdoor crowds but the risk is waaaay less than the scare stories you're believing - because if an infected person wasn't spreading covid at the fest they're still likely to be infecting others wherever they are.

only your scared take of the risks counts? lol. Other more informed views are available.

By August the risk of death from catching covid should be minimal even for the oldies, and definitely not for a Reading crowd.

In August the risk of catching covid when outdoors is tiny (compared to middle of winter and indoors).

Who knew that winter respiratory viruses happen almost exclusively in ... erm... winter? And if covid isn't killing oldies next winter, 'flu will be - without any measures for that at all.

The govt might choose to be as cautious as possible and not open up fully until after next winter - but that's not what Whitty has been suggesting for quite a few months.

And this govt hasn't done cautious at any point so far.

I think your point about if what other countries does count maybe your borders would be shut for the last year in the high of naivety!

The COUNTRY have been asking for this to happen since last bloody March/April and it's one of the biggest problems we've encountered to the virus spread this far which is acknowledged by a LOT of people. Since doing it we have dropped from a 7 day case average of 56k+ to under 20k. Yes we have vaccined 11m people but the difference between 20k and 56k is staggering. Yes a lockdown helps with that, but as well all know, that hasn't totally been followed by. Fines for breaking rules were late. Everything was introduced late. Borders should have been the 1st thought. If you're not essential and a resident then you cannot travel.

As said we all have different opinions.

Well of course it's low for oldies, that's the whole point of getting them done first....but how many 50, 60s+ travel to Reading to watch AJ Tracey?

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I think your point about if what other countries does count maybe your borders would be shut for the last year in the high of naivety!

The COUNTRY have been asking for this to happen since last bloody March/April and it's one of the biggest problems we've encountered to the virus spread this far which is acknowledged by a LOT of people. Since doing it we have dropped from a 7 day case average of 56k+ to under 20k. Yes we have vaccined 11m people but the difference between 20k and 56k is staggering. Yes a lockdown helps with that, but as well all know, that hasn't totally been followed by. Fines for breaking rules were late. Everything was introduced late. Borders should have been the 1st thought. If you're not essential and a resident then you cannot travel.

As said we all have different opinions.

Well of course it's low for oldies, that's the whole point of getting them done first....but how many 50, 60s+ travel to Reading to watch AJ Tracey?

Perhaps they should ban people of a certain age going to festivals.. 💪

I read an article earlier that was talking to the organiser of Lowlands Festival in Holland and he said that he’s confident that large scale festivals will be able to go ahead from July onwards, saying ‘I’m really confident that in August, Reading & Leeds, Lowlands and Pukkelpop will happen.’ 

The interesting part of the interview, and the bit that links to the above post was when he said ‘I think the Americans will still have problems, so I doubt they’ll come over. We’ll replace them with English bands, but if they can’t travel because of Brexit, then we’ll have to fix it with European acts. If not, then Lowlands can take place with only Dutch and Belgian acts.’ 

The article is here for anyone who wants to have a look:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/european-festivals-covid-return-trials-holland-netherlands-trials-2873856

Edited by Andre91

17 hours ago, thewayiam said:

The COUNTRY have been asking for this to happen since last bloody March/April and it's one of the biggest problems we've encountered to the virus spread this far which is acknowledged by a LOT of people.

but, whatever, it's not happened. And won't. What Sziget is doing is fuck all relevance for what the govt decides for UK festivals.

17 hours ago, thewayiam said:

the public health issue is excessive hospitalisations and deaths.

All indicators are that vaccines will stop most hospitalisations and deaths.

By end of August all people 18+ should have been vaccinated, and the public health issue should have gone away.

(the possible re-introduction of minor measures for next winter (if it happens) - as trailed by Whitty - is something else, not of relevance to festivals in August).

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I read an article earlier that was talking to the organiser of Lowlands Festival in Holland and he said that he’s confident that large scale festivals will be able to go ahead from July onwards, saying ‘I’m really confident that in August, Reading & Leeds, Lowlands and Pukkelpop will happen.’ 

The interesting part of the interview, and the bit that links to the above post was when he said ‘I think the Americans will still have problems, so I doubt they’ll come over. We’ll replace them with English bands, but if they can’t travel because of Brexit, then we’ll have to fix it with European acts. If not, then Lowlands can take place with only Dutch and Belgian acts.’ 

The article is here for anyone who wants to have a look:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/european-festivals-covid-return-trials-holland-netherlands-trials-2873856

Having spoken to a friend of mine with direct links to the festival this year im confident when I say it isnt happening. They will cancel, its a matter of when not If imo.

23 hours ago, thetime said:

Perhaps they should ban people of a certain age going to festivals.. 💪

Perhaps they should. But if they ban a certain age then that festival won't run anyway lol

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

All indicators are that vaccines will stop most hospitalisations and deaths.

By end of August all people 18+ should have been vaccinated, and the public health issue should have gone away.

(the possible re-introduction of minor measures for next winter (if it happens) - as trailed by Whitty - is something else, not of relevance to festivals in August).

Should have, might have but they need to be sure of that much earlier than August. For me anyway as a last thing on it, it won't happen this year. 

18 hours ago, xxialac said:

What's appealing about a festival with less choice of bands?

I mean bands aren’t the only artists that play at festivals, an all British festival is definitely a possibility there’s plenty of quality artists in this country

10 hours ago, Andre91 said:

TAKING BACK CONTROL OF OUR FESTIVALS!

No that’s not what I mean, everyone here takes all British over nothing, but I still think that it would be really good

10 hours ago, wghennessy said:

Having spoken to a friend of mine with direct links to the festival this year im confident when I say it isnt happening. They will cancel, its a matter of when not If imo.

I think it’s clear to every rational person that there is basically no chance there will be a festival season this year, and there’s a potentially a strong chance there won’t even a academy size gigs at any point this year (bar socially distanced crap maybe).

the current talk is that pubs reopening with all autumn restrictions would be luck to happen by May - how anyone can think we go from only being able to sit at a table while socially distance from others and wearing a mask when standing up in May to 80k people in a mosh pit in August I don’t understand. 

guess it’s just the denial stage of grief. Can’t believe it’s come to this, but clearly going to be another lost year. 

13 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

How anyone can think we go from only being able to sit at a table while socially distance from others and wearing a mask when standing up in May to 80k people in a mosh pit in August I don’t understand. 

You've never heard of vaccines?

Festivals might not happen because the govt are over-cautious. Or the vaccines don't work.

But with what we know today the public health issue should have passed by the end of August. 

9 hours ago, wghennessy said:

I've no idea who you are but that's not the case, why do you say that? 

They are very much still planning and contacting contractors even as of today, if what you have heard is true then why would they be commiting to scheduling, costings etc?

Edited by Paul ™
Typo

On 2/6/2021 at 9:18 AM, thewayiam said:

If Boris ignores scientists again....which he finally took notice of this year albeit 2+weeks late, and then it spirals numbers again and it goes to pot.

He will have riots on his hands, not just what we've seen but bad riots well out of control. People everywhere will not care anymore and lockdown will become all but a word. He won't have to get the army on the streets, he will have no choice and number 10 will be targeted very badly and to be honest you can't blame anyone. 

What a load of s***e.