U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If you look at some of the speeches from Trump from 4, 4 and a half years ago you can see a noticeable decline in his mental acuity. He's always been an amoral narcissist, but I don't think he'll be up to the job by 2024.

Besides, and it's not a joke, there's a good chance he'll have significant legal and financial difficulties by then.

Thanks everyone for this thread, I'm really enjoying it after a long absence from efests. Last night Richard Osman raised the possibility that Trump will step down early without conceding, allowing Pence to take over and pardon him. Wondering what people think? It's outrageous but that's not stopped him before. 

3 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Thanks everyone for this thread, I'm really enjoying it after a long absence from efests. Last night Richard Osman raised the possibility that Trump will step down early without conceding, allowing Pence to take over and pardon him. Wondering what people think? It's outrageous but that's not stopped him before. 

That’s been rumoured but I’m sure that option was ruled out. Can’t remember if I saw why on this thread or elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Several of us have mentioned that recently, but I only found out last night that although pardons can be used for quite a bit, they cannot be used to negate state charges, such as the NY AG criminal enquiry into wire fraud, tax evasion, bribery etc. So he is knackered either way.

"The president's pardon power is limited to federal offenses because the Constitution only grants the president the power to pardon "[o]ffenses against the United States." An offense that violates state law, but not federal law, is an offense against the state rather than an offense against the United States."

Edited by Copperface
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

You can't pardon someone for a crime that they haven't been convicted for yet.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You can't pardon someone for a crime that they haven't been convicted for yet.

He can.....

"The president can even pardon people before they are charged or convicted of a federal crime, although such actions are rare. Gerald Ford pardoned his predecessor, Richard M. Nixon, after Watergate."

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so whats the latest ... when are we going to find out something ? .... anything ? 

It’s mainly hinging on Pennsylvania to seal it. They are expecting more results today. 

Most of this postal counting could have been done in advance but was blocked by the Republican administration. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Rather nice to speech from a president which doesn’t incite division or violence 

It is, I hope he’ll be seen as that and as the Grandfather of the nation in a way. 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so whats the latest ... when are we going to find out something ? .... anything ? 

I don’t think it’ll be till later on today till we get anything major if we do. Arizona will be dropping some more results in a bit as well. 

I have some sympathy for Trump supporters believing it’s fixed. I can see the mindset: what is more likely, that there is something dodgy going on, or the President of the United Staes is making it all up. I can understand people not questioning the President. If it were nearly any other President I might be on that side.

There’s also a good chance that at some point the rules were not quite followed correctly- COVID has made it a weird election and many things were being done differently for the first time. It’s almost inevitable that something won’t have gone quite right- that doesn’t mean there was fraud but i would be at least one of these court cases finds something done incorrectly.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I have some sympathy for Trump supporters believing it’s fixed. I can see the mindset: what is more likely, that there is something dodgy going on, or the President of the United Staes is making it all up. I can understand people not questioning the President. If it were nearly any other President I might be on that side.

There’s also a good chance that at some point the rules were not quite followed correctly- COVID has made it a weird election and many things were being done differently for the first time. It’s almost inevitable that something won’t have gone quite right- that doesn’t mean there was fraud but i would be at least one of these court cases finds something done incorrectly.

I guess if you dig and dig you will always find something ..... its would also be likely that happened at the last election also